Recommendations Novels about martial arts set in a modern world.

SailusGebel

It's time to re-up my year-old request that didn't get any responses at all. ☠️

I'm not looking for Chinese or Korean Wuxia set in old murim. I'm looking for something similar to manga Baki, Tough, manhwa Breaker, or Veritas. A novel about martial arts set in the modern day. It doesn't matter to me whether it's about real martial arts or something fictional. MC(male female, doesn't matter) should either study\learn martial arts or be a martial artist. Oh, and I don't mind if there is magic, but magical effects(like making fire, lightning and so on) should be incorporated into a martial arts technique(punches, kicks, footwork, etc).

No BL, GL, or GB.

Reactions: AYM

SailusGebel

Jujutsu Kaisen. Muhahahahahahahahaha!
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⠋⣽⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠟⣛⣭⣭⣭⣭⣛⢃⠈⠀⣘⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠸⣿⣛⠩⢭⣭⡭⠈⠆⣋⠩⢬⣝⡻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠷⢊⣉⣭⣤⣔⣀⠄⡀⠛⠿⠶⠍⠻⢷⣍⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⠿⣋⣴⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣦⣍⠛⣚⣛⣠⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⡰⣶⣶⣶⣿⡿⠟⡛⢛⣛⢹⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣌⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣷⠌⣿⣿⢋⠀⠐⢶⣶⣦⡸⣿⣿⣿⢟⡅⣾⣿⣿⣿⠹⣿⣧⠹⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⢋⣾⡿⣡⣇⢀⣀⣼⣿⣿⡇⣿⡿⣡⠋⢥⣴⣭⡛⠁⣶⡌⢛⣧⡙⢿⣿⣿
⡏⣾⢻⣵⣿⣿⣦⣙⠿⠟⣫⣴⡘⢡⡇⠀⢀⣽⣿⣧⢲⡌⢠⣿⣿⠿⠗⣸⣿
⡣⣿⡇⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠆⠛⠛⠻⠶⠷⣝⠿⠿⠟⡃⠆⣿⣾⣏⢻⣄⠻⣿⣿
⣇⠻⢧⡙⢿⣿⣿⣿⢡⣶⣿⣿⣿⣧⢸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡠⣿⣿⣿⢸⣿⣿⡶⣸
⣿⣷⣤⣛⠆⠉⠛⠳⢮⣝⣻⠿⠿⠏⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⢏⣾⣿⣿⣿⢸⢿⣿⢸⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⠟⣄⠤⠄⢀⠀⠉⣉⠛⠛⠻⠿⠿⠿⠃⣠⣿⣿⣿⡏⠀⠄⠟⣼⣿
⣿⡿⣛⠣⠾⣸⣦⣤⣥⠖⢠⠗⠘⠒⣀⠠⢦⣒⣿⣛⢛⡿⠏⠀⠒⠂⠭⠈⣿

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
the one I was writing inside my head when I was watching Fight Club.

SailusGebel

TotallyHuman

Something along the lines of the heavenly demon can't live a normal life or smth

SsemouyOnan

Scientific Witchery
Have you tried the PTJverse? (Lookism, Viral Hit, My Life As a Loser, Manager Kim, Questism)

I personally like Viral Hit the best since it's grounded but Lookism is the closest to the examples you provided

Daitengu

Dunno about novels, but manga/anime wise I recommend:

Holyland
Air Master
Ben-to
Ikkitousen
Hajime no Ippo

Jemini

I think you essentially just described "History's Strongest Disciple"

For another recommendation... this one is NOT based in the modern day. Rather, it's based in a sci-fi futuristic setting in which humans have been in an inter-planetary age for a long period of time. It is called "Super Gene," and it's essentially a cultivation world story in THAT setting instead of murim world. I think it's interesting how the use of modern sensibilities on how a legal system should be manage to completely tamp down on the whole usual bad behavior that takes place in most of these cultivation world plots, and find it rather refreshing for that reason.

(It does experience the usual completely ludicrous run-length of your standard cultivation world story though.)

SailusGebel

Have you tried the PTJverse? (Lookism, Viral Hit, My Life As a Loser, Manager Kim, Questism)

I personally like Viral Hit the best since it's grounded but Lookism is the closest to the examples you provided
A novel about martial arts set in the modern day.
Dunno about novels, but manga/anime wise I recommend:

Holyland
Air Master
Ben-to
Ikkitousen
Hajime no Ippo
I read pretty much every manga there is about Martial Arts in modern setting. Read it or at least heard about it and put it off for a moment. Out of 5 of your recs I didn't hear about Air Master, however, I don't want anime at all.
I think you essentially just described "History's Strongest Disciple"
Google gives me Kenichi, and I've read it long ago. If it's not Kenichi, can you give a link, please? I will be grateful.