Don't Confuse Plot with Story and Story Engines

Story_Marc

Share your fun!

I'll go way more into depth with all these things soon, especially story engines, different types of series and serials, tips for them that aren't just me regurgitating the standard stuff people do, etc. But need this as a foundation to ensure everybody is on the same page. Or more everybody who follows what I share.

Jemini

I think the writer "akaswell" who writes the "Markets and Multiverses" and "A Budding Scientist in a Fantasy World" series has a very firm handle on story engines. Especially in Markets and Multiverses. That series is a slow-rolling serial transmigration story in which the characters are reborn on a different world every 50 or so chapters. (In other words, about the same word-count length of your typical published book.)

There's a story engine of the market and the limited lives count that the characters have before they need to face off against a major threat in order to get more lives or else face the threat of permanent death. Then, there is a plot for each individual world, and the story that runs through all of this in terms of how this whole experience is affecting the characters.

Iloveshovels

I think the writer "akaswell" who writes the "Markets and Multiverses" and "A Budding Scientist in a Fantasy World" series has a very firm handle on story engines. Especially in Markets and Multiverses. That series is a slow-rolling serial transmigration story in which the characters are reborn on a different world every 50 or so chapters. (In other words, about the same word-count length of your typical published book.)

There's a story engine of the market and the limited lives count that the characters have before they need to face off against a major threat in order to get more lives or else face the threat of permanent death. Then, there is a plot for each individual world, and the story that runs through all of this in terms of how this whole experience is affecting the characters.
Seems cool. Gotta watch the video, because I do not know what a engine is.

melchi

What is a custom title?
A lot of the very long web serials show the story engine well.

Dragon eye moon: Ranger team goes from town to town, solving the problems in the empire are all like little episodes and they drive it home with an after action review. It works really well.

The story itself is a progression fantasy. Elaine goes from a weak healer in a society that treats women like objects to someone everyone has to respect.

Metaworld chronicles is another example. Miss Calamity gets shifted into a world with magic and goes from being a nobody in a branch family to doing great and greater things.

The story engine would be the shadowy cult, moving stuff behind the scenes. She has to respond to greater and greater threats in each arc.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
A lot of the very long web serials show the story engine well.

Dragon eye moon: Ranger team goes from town to town, solving the problems in the empire are all like little episodes and they drive it home with an after action review. It works really well.

The story itself is a progression fantasy. Elaine goes from a weak healer in a society that treats women like objects to someone everyone has to respect.

Metaworld chronicles is another example. Miss Calamity gets shifted into a world with magic and goes from being a nobody in a branch family to doing great and greater things.

The story engine would be the shadowy cult, moving stuff behind the scenes. She has to respond to greater and greater threats in each arc.
"Progression fantasy" isn't a story. It's a genre.

CSDestroyer

I thought I knew a lot about writing - then I ran into you, and realized that I still have a ton of things to learn. Looks like I will be binging your channel for the next few days. This is excellent information, I really appreciate you putting it out here.