Can u use one chapter entirely for supportive character??

MasFaqih

Hello,iam a new author here i want to know if u can just create a chapter that focus on supportive character

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
Yes, of course, as an author, it's important to know when to give importance to others, not just the protagonist. It's something that can greatly enrich a story, to see what their background is, their way of thinking, how they interact when the protagonist isn't around. It can easily make for very interesting and also fun chapters to write.

That said, if you've built your story around a central protagonist and they are the foundation of the entire story, remember to focus on them primarily.

That doesn't mean you never have chapters with other characters, just try to make them the minority of the chapters, use them only when absolutely necessary, when they are needed for something important to make sense or to show the change or advancement of that other character.

But let readers know that the other chapters will still have the main character as the center of attention. If there's one thing readers don't like, it's when the protagonist isn't the protagonist of their own story.

Basically, don't do it like the Isekai of the slime where every secondary character has their own separate novel at the same time that nothing happens because it's just filled with side stories.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Of course, I am right in the middle of writing a chapter sequence where a foreign character arrives in the city that the MC built up. It is a great way to show advancement from a different perspective, one that looks in from the outside instead of being present while everything is established.

It's a fun thing to do and gives depth to the story, so don't be afraid to utilize it. Just do it in moderation like everything else; overdoing it ruins it.

A few chapters focused on extras isn't a problem, but there have to be limits, there are stories where I even forget who the protagonist is because the author decided to dedicate dozens of chapters to a bunch of useless extras

doravg

105/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Yes. If it is a character who you use a lot, you should develop him or her.

Datal0g

Yes. - imo SCs can be even more important than the MC, esp. when the MC is not an overpowered superhero, who can save the world with his little finger.

I personally love to introduce my SCs properly and don't mind to give them the space they deserve as they have to carry bigger parts of my story and MC development.

Zagaroth

Writing secondary character PoVs can be important for a variety of reasons.

I have used them to introduce characters who will be meeting the MCs and be long-term companions, so as to give a bit of depth to their personalities and backstories. This also lets me skip the dialogue that would cover the same information later and cut to the reactions because the reader got a more focused and detailed version already.

I've used them as one-shots to show what is going on elsewhere to add a little context to events, and in one case specifically to lay the groundwork for events well into the future.

I also used a few paragraphs at the end of a chapter to A) guarantee the audience hated the revealed villain, and B) ensure my readers had reason to be sympathetic to a different character when they arrive in the story more than an entire book later. One of the MCs has enough information that once given a key bit of information he can pull it all together very fast and react, but giving the readers more context is useful because most of the clues are a little vague until the last one. It's also in the initiation of an action scene, so I don't want to break the flow of combat to follow Mordecai's thought process.

Oh, and on the introducing new characters: One of my secondary characters has become a fan-favorite over on RR. I haven't gotten that far in my copying of chapters here yet.

melchi

What is a custom title?
What redhunter said.

The readers will pick a protag even if there isn't supposed to be one. For POV shifts, the less closely it is related to the hook of the story the more it will be perceived as filler.