Do you think there is hope for me?

doravg

105/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Let us say I do all those things that were mentioned in the With what are they different? Thread. Rework my books, get them to alpha readers, beta readers, editors. Actually change things when I have to. Have, and I shudder to write it, multiple drafts.

Do you think there is hope for me to ever be published? Also, in what language should I write? English or German? Also, and that is the last question, I promise:

Should I start posting on RR again, to get some feedback? I was too prideful the last time, and deleted my account there, after getting unhappy remarks about the development of a story. I am ashamed to admit it, but when I did review swaps I gave good reviews even to stories which didn't deserve them, just so I can get a good review as well. I have no idea if people who remember me from that time are going to welcome me back there.

Back then, I was a prideful and arrogant little goblin. Got angry at every rating that was smaller than 5 stars. Took it personally. I wouldn't forgive myself.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
There is always hope.
You just have to keep trying.
We never know what might take off and what won't.

Think about it this way, stories that get tons of criticism and hate are still successful financially.
Look at Twilight.
Take it a day at a time.

twotwoka

Let us say I do all those things that were mentioned in the With what are they different? Thread. Rework my books, get them to alpha readers, beta readers, editors. Actually change things when I have to. Have, and I shudder to write it, multiple drafts.

Do you think there is hope for me to ever be published? Also, in what language should I write? English or German? Also, and that is the last question, I promise:

Should I start posting on RR again, to get some feedback? I was too prideful the last time, and deleted my account there, after getting unhappy remarks about the development of a story. I am ashamed to admit it, but when I did review swaps I gave good reviews even to stories which didn't deserve them, just so I can get a good review as well. I have no idea if people who remember me from that time are going to welcome me back there.

Back then, I was a prideful and arrogant little goblin. Got angry at every rating that was smaller than 5 stars. Took it personally. I wouldn't forgive myself.
There's no hope.

Now that you know that.

Just do what you want. Don't overthink it too much, my story I just wrote the first few chapters in the bus, and I say it's not particularly popular. But it's there for whoever wants to read.

I wanted something that simply didn't exist in this site. So I wrote for myself, and there's a couple of people that like it, and some that hate it.

Being 100% honest, there's nothing that guarantees successes.

Last edited:

doravg

There is always hope.
You just have to keep trying.
We never know what might take off and what won't.

Think about it this way, stories that get tons of criticism and hate are still successful financially.
Look at Twilight.
Take it a day at a time.
About my question about RR and the language, could you please give me some hints? I don't get feedback on AO3 and on here, which is good for my self-esteem. But I think I am stuck at the same lvl for years.

H0LL0W

Readers on Royal Road are much different than the readers on this site, keep that in mind. Chapters that has gotten few views on RR for me has about 50 views in comparison on here. It's not a lot of views but is still a huge difference. Maybe you should think more about which stories work better for different audiences.

esThr

As long as you know what you did is wrong there is always room for redemption and improvement. So, I don't see why not

though of course you should not take everything into consideration. Constructive criticism and maybe look at what readers struggle to comprehend in your stories should help with enforcing your writing style (ignore blatant hate comments if you can as well since they tend to be unreasonable)

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Life is not fair. This is a good thing.
People who complain about life being unfair usually mean they want life to be unfair in their favor. If life was fair, that is easy to do.

Think of everything wrong and horrible in your life.
You deserved it.

There. Life is fair.

We don't like to think maybe we are terrible people, but what a horrible idea that life was fair.

But, because life is unfair, we have HOPE. Hope that life will be unfair, in your favor. Life might decide to screw someone who is more deserving than you and grant you an unearned miracle.

There is always hope because life is not fair.

What you should do is look into self-publishing. Depending on someone else to do the leg work is just hoping for an unearned miracle. If you start making money, someone is bound to seek you out and try to make you a wage slave and earn money off of you as a parasite, sooner or later.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.

Come on now, sis. Relax. Get it done bit by bit, let god decide, and sit down on the couch. Don't overthink it, relax.

People who overthink often gets an illness, some even gets a mental breakdown and dip from earth down to the ground. And I would love not to see you among them.

doravg

Life is not fair. This is a good thing.
People who complain about life being unfair usually mean they want life to be unfair in their favor. If life was fair, that is easy to do.

Think of everything wrong and horrible in your life.
You deserved it.

There. Life is fair.

We don't like to think maybe we are terrible people, but what a horrible idea that life was fair.

But, because life is unfair, we have HOPE. Hope that life will be unfair, in your favor. Life might decide to screw someone who is more deserving than you and grant you an unearned miracle.

There is always hope because life is not fair.

What you should do is look into self-publishing. Depending on someone else to do the leg work is just hoping for an unearned miracle. If you start making money, someone is bound to seek you out and try to make you a wage slave and earn money off of you as a parasite, sooner or later.
My life is mostly unfair in my favor. I have savings because my parents didn't want my money. People treat me well and don't tell me what I do wrong because I smile a lot, and when someone does tell me that I did something wrong, I usually look like a kicked puppy, and they give me second chances.

I get help at every corner.

And that is what has made me spoiled and dependent on others. But no more! This time, I will work hard to make life unfair in my favor! Today is the 21st April 2024. On the 21st April 2025 I will publish a book. And if I am not done by then, then by the 21st April 2026. But this time I will produce something good!
Come on now, sis. Relax. Get it done bit by bit, let god decide, and sit down on the couch. Don't overthink it, relax.

People who overthink often gets an illness, some even gets a mental breakdown and dip from earth down to the ground. And I would love not to see you among them.
Thank you for the kind words. You really are a good person.

GoodPerson

Cheer up!

God may not make your story a good one, but he'll definitely gives you a better compensation.

GoodPerson

My life is mostly unfair in my favor. I have savings because my parents didn't want my money. People treat me well and don't tell me what I do wrong because I smile a lot, and when someone does tell me that I did something wrong, I usually look like a kicked puppy, and they give me second chances.

I get help at every corner.

And that is what has made me spoiled and dependent on others. But no more! This time, I will work hard to make life unfair in my favor! Today is the 21st April 2024. On the 21st April 2025 I will publish a book. And if I am not done by then, then by the 21st April 2026. But this time I will produce something good!
It's the feeling of discipline. Remember, sis. I am one hell of a troublemaker, and I too, want to succeed at something without someone's help.

If somehow you received helps and felt weighed, you never see it as a good thing 'cept a burden.

That's one sign of a human. A literal human.
Thank you for the kind words. You really are a good person.
Pretty sure the angel that records sin is questioning your statement.
ehehe.jpg

Don't put words in my mouth, tgw doesn't compensate anything to anyone ever
Yours, not mine.

Personally, I never thought god helped me. But hey, I need someone to listen to my ramblings. So...

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
About my question about RR and the language, could you please give me some hints? I don't get feedback on AO3 and on here, which is good for my self-esteem. But I think I am stuck at the same lvl for years.
I honestly don't think writing is about level, but how you can connect with the reader. We are often taught in school how to do formal writing, the kind of writing that would be done if you were going to write a report or business, but we are not talk about writing to connect with others. Sure there are literature we read, but you ever notice how different literature is compared to formal writing?

We often think literature is supposed to be formal to be good, but in reality it's informal writing that connects to the readers that do better and are more interesting. If you can't connect with people by writing, you probably won't be able to write in a way that would bring others in.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
If there's a will there's a way. Keep trying, don't get discouraged. It's hard but worth it

Hans.Trondheim

Mr Negative | Avoid at all cost

There are things I'd like to tell you, though all are based on my experiences as an author.

First, for whom do you write? I write because I want to tell stories, and to have an outlet for the ideas in my head. And you? Do you write because you want to be famous? To earn money? There's nothing wrong with these goals, though you'll definitely have to change the way you view and treat your work, depending on your answer.

Second, what makes you think readers in RR are 'good critics'? All they do is to judge stuff according to their biases, as is other critics, albeit using harsher, insulting words. Why do you feel the need to subject yourself to people trying to be 'experts' when you can look for better critics elsewhere? (Like university acquaintances, people who knew and accept your hobby, etc.)

Why is it that when it comes to beta readers, it is recommended that they are people in your circle? It is because beta readers should have a sliver of knowledge of who you are as an author. They should be at least aware of your vision for your work, so they can give feedback that can actually help you improve instead of just beating yourself down and make you feel your efforts are not enough.

And third, for the question of language, English is the current lingua franca. If you aim to reach for more readers, English is the way to go, since the audience who can read and understand it are larger than German.

Fourth, as for your hope of getting published, the world is unfair. Brace for every unfair bit, and grit your teeth, because our hobby is a long road filled with disappointments and discouragements. But then, staying and persevering will all boil down back to my first point, which is your purpose on why you write.

Technical parts of writing is just half of the process. Stories also involve the feelings, sentiments and visions of the author, hence, there are stories that 'click' early on, and there are late bloomers. We may never know the future, but I take comfort at the fact that my works are the best that I can do.

So yeah, drop the overthinking and continue to write, if that's your passion.

doravg

There are things I'd like to tell you, though all are based on my experiences as an author.

First, for whom do you write? I write because I want to tell stories, and to have an outlet for the ideas in my head. And you? Do you write because you want to be famous? To earn money? There's nothing wrong with these goals, though you'll definitely have to change the way you view and treat your work, depending on your answer.

Second, what makes you think readers in RR are 'good critics'? All they do is to judge stuff according to their biases, as is other critics, albeit using harsher, insulting words. Why do you feel the need to subject yourself to people trying to be 'experts' when you can look for better critics elsewhere? (Like university acquaintances, people who knew and accept your hobby, etc.)

Why is it that when it comes to beta readers, it is recommended that they are people in your circle? It is because beta readers should have a sliver of knowledge of who you are as an author. They should be at least aware of your vision for your work, so they can give feedback that can actually help you improve instead of just beating yourself down and make you feel your efforts are not enough.

And third, for the question of language, English is the current lingua franca. If you aim to reach for more readers, English is the way to go, since the audience who can read and understand it are larger than German.

Fourth, as for your hope of getting published, the world is unfair. Brace for every unfair bit, and grit your teeth, because our hobby is a long road filled with disappointments and discouragements. But then, staying and persevering will all boil down back to my first point, which is your purpose on why you write.

Technical parts of writing is just half of the process. Stories also involve the feelings, sentiments and visions of the author, hence, there are stories that 'click' early on, and there are late bloomers. We may never know the future, but I take comfort at the fact that my works are the best that I can do.

So yeah, drop the overthinking and continue to write, if that's your passion.
I got comments on RR, and almost none here and on AO3. My friends don't write, and they think that my writing hobby is just something I do to pass the time. What I want is to connect with others, and yes, I do want to earn money with my writing. I have a severe writing addiction. If I don't write or thinker on a project, I start to get panic attacks.

That is because during my Master’s Degree I got sick with schizophrenia. My therapist prescribed me pills which made me feel awful, but kept me stable. No dopamine, or whatever makes my brain think it is happy, in me left because of the pills. But when I started writing, I got the spark of life once more.

If I quit, I will probably become so miserable, that I might relapse and start hearing voices again.

Hans.Trondheim

Mr Negative | Avoid at all cost
I got comments on RR, and almost none here and on AO3. My friends don't write, and they think that my writing hobby is just something I do to pass the time. What I want is to connect with others, and yes, I do want to earn money with my writing. I have a severe writing addiction. If I don't write or thinker on a project, I start to get panic attacks.

That is because during my Master’s Degree I got sick with schizophrenia. My therapist prescribed me pills which made me feel awful, but kept me stable. No dopamine, or whatever makes my brain think it is happy, in me left because of the pills. But when I started writing, I got the spark of life once more.

If I quit, I will probably become so miserable, that I might relapse and start hearing voices again.
Well, receiving comments on RR won't guarantee meaningful improvement. Though, it's my experience, so what's keeping you? If you want to try in RR again, do it. Many of us here suffered on that site, so most of the answers will prolly be on the negative.

Also, friends irl are not the only source of beta readers. You can ask your online connections and acquaintances to do the same.

For publishing, a lot of publishing houses are NOT accepting unsolicited submissions as of the moment, so your only hope of getting 'published' is through your own promotions and self-publishing (or contest submissions). I know close friends here in SHF who found success in that, and I'm about to try it myself to earn from my writing as well.

Finally, for your goals, more than monetary compensation, I feel like we have similar goals why we write. I may not suffer from schizophrenia, but I'm clinically bipolar, and attempted suicide many times. This is one of my ways to vent out my overwhelming rush of ideas in my head.

And more than worry if I can get published or not, I choose to improve my work and publish it myself. Worrying all the time won't help us; only stress us, and that's counter-productive.

Last edited:

doravg

Well, receiving comments on RR won't guarantee meaningful improvement. Though, it's my experience, so what's keeping you? If you want to try in RR again, do it. Many of us here suffered on that site, so most of the answers will prolly be on the negative.

Also, friends irl are not the only source of beta readers. You can ask your online connections and acquaintances to do the same.

For publishing, a lot of publishing houses are NOT accepting unsolicited submissions as of the moment, so your only hope of getting 'published' is through your own promotions and self-publishing (or contest submissions). I know close friends here in SHF who found success in that, and I'm about to try it myself to earn from my writing as well.

Finally, for your goals, more than monetary compensation, I feel like we have similar goals why we write. I may not suffer from schizophrenia, but I'm clinically bipolar, and attempted suicide many times. This is one of my ways to vent out my overwhelming rush of ideas in my head.

And more than worry if I can get published or not, I choose to improve my work and publish it myself. Worrying all the time won't help us; only stress us, and that's counter-productive.
Thank you for the kind words, Hans.