I know it is too early, but...

doravg

132/4001 (finally counted the stories)
So, I gave myself an entire year for my current project. That said, I plan on making a couple of volumes. What is a good volume length for a traditional novel? Also, how long should a book be left to rest before being edited? Or should I first draft the entire series, before I start editing? I am sorry if my threads these past days seem like spam. The thing is, I am really trying to change. I can't just keep on thinking I can go on the way I do now. The point of life is to improve. Today I wrote 5,700 words, already put them through the grammar checker, made my notes.

Since my way of writing is not good enough, I ask you for advice. Also, would it be cheating if I tried to publish the series not under my real name, but under something like Dora V. G.? I think I need a new start. What do you think will be catchy? I won't end up getting sued because of something like that, right?

Thank you for your time! =) (Sorry for the spams. I have no one else to turn to. No one that I know in real life writes. Most of them think it is meaningless.)

esThr

I think the best option here would be not to worry too much about how the "average novel" would be like and instead focus on your pace. You shouldn't try to forcefully change it

For the 2nd question I think having it drafted first then editted would be best since that would save a lot of time and potentially the headache of having to go through the entire finished draft

If you want to hide your name under something like a pen name that's not something I would consider bad.. In fact, it would be smarter to do that

Hans.Trondheim

Hans off, please!
So, I gave myself an entire year for my current project. That said, I plan on making a couple of volumes.
It's a good thing that you give yourself deadline. However, let's be realistic here; how many volumes is your entire story? Three or four? If so, it might be possible.

But five and up? Basically, you're killing yourself (concept-wise). Yes, you may have lots of ideas in your mind waiting to be written, BUT YOU ALSO HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AS AN AUTHOR because all those ideas are useless if you get burned out.

What is a good volume length for a traditional novel?
Try to look for google. A light novel, which a 'level' lower than your target, is around 50k-80k words in English. A normal, traditional novel length must be around 80k to 100k, or so what I remember when I did a similar search before.

Also, how long should a book be left to rest before being edited? Or should I first draft the entire series, before I start editing?
Depends on what works for you. As I release by volume, I edit my work after I wrote the entire manuscript, though for expediency, I also do edits every time I finish chapters. This is so my final edits will be easier.

I am sorry if my threads these past days seem like spam. The thing is, I am really trying to change. I can't just keep on thinking I can go on the way I do now. The point of life is to improve. Today I wrote 5,700 words, already put them through the grammar checker, made my notes.
Aye, as long as we live, it's always good to improve. We learn as we go through our lives. And it's never bad to look for ways to develop ourselves...FOR OURSELVES.

Since my way of writing is not good enough, I ask you for advice. Also, would it be cheating if I tried to publish the series not under my real name, but under something like Dora V. G.? I think I need a new start. What do you think will be catchy? I won't end up getting sued because of something like that, right?

Thank you for your time! =) (Sorry for the spams. I have no one else to turn to. No one that I know in real life writes. Most of them think it is meaningless.)
As an author, your writing will never be good enough for you. You'd always see points where you could've done better, ideas you could've executed better. However, for this one, I believe standing by what you've written is what separates you from indecisive writers, and building on what you already published is one of the consistencies your readers will look unto you, if you aim to build a reputation.

Look, I've written my Volume 15, 16, 17, and 18, and honestly, I have my doubts on my 4th arc, which was composed of the three earlier books.

In fact, it bugs me so much, that I kept on pestering my beta readers for their feedback, to which they also kept telling me there are no problems.

And that opinion was reinforced by a regular reader from HoneyFeed, who commented that he was excited to read my latest volume...

Screenshot_2024_0421_195040.png

See? I was only hard at myself. It may not be the best story out there, but I can confidently say I did my homework when I wrote that. Trust the process.

@doravg for the innumerable time, I'd say this again to you: BE KIND TO YOURSELF.

Last edited:

doravg

@doravg for the innumerable time, I'd say this again to you: BE KIND TO YOURSELF.

I am trying. That is why I am giving myself a year.

Yes, I was also thinking about 100k words per volume. So, maybe 4 volumes in total? My characters are 15-year-old right now, and I want to put them through a grinder. For the romance aspect, no action until they are 18. You know, three volumes with the whole fixing up the country thing, and the last one with a one big desperate holy war, started by a couple of neighboring countries, where my boys, who will still be boys, now that I think about it, but legal and having 3 years to get to know one another, will realize their feelings.

Hans.Trondheim

Hans off, please!

I am trying. That is why I am giving myself a year.
I'm not underestimating you, but if you find it quite challenging, don't be depressed that you didn't reach your deadline.

It's part of the self-care process.

Yes, I was also thinking about 100k words per volume. So, maybe 4 volumes in total? My characters are 15-year-old right now, and I want to put them through a grinder. For the romance aspect, no action until they are 18. You know, three volumes with the whole fixing up the country thing, and the last one with a one big desperate holy war, started by a couple of neighboring countries, where my boys, who will still be boys, now that I think about it, but legal and having 3 years to get to know one another, will realize their feelings.
Dew it. God bless.

doravg

I'm not underestimating you, but if you find it quite challenging, don't be depressed that you didn't reach your deadline.

It's part of the self-care process.

Dew it. God bless.
Yes, it will take so much time as it will take. You are right. I just wanted a deadline, since I heard it is good to have one.

Hans.Trondheim

Hans off, please!
Yes, it will take so much time as it will take. You are right. I just wanted a deadline, since I heard it is good to have one.
It does. Even I do it, though if my deadline passed without me attaining my goals, I just shrug and try again. Shit happens.

But I do try my best to finish by my self-imposed deadline.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Length doesn't matter too much, it what's you do with it. I think an average one is like 90k words, but if you use more, it can still get published if it is good

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
So, I gave myself an entire year for my current project. That said, I plan on making a couple of volumes. What is a good volume length for a traditional novel? Also, how long should a book be left to rest before being edited? Or should I first draft the entire series, before I start editing? I am sorry if my threads these past days seem like spam. The thing is, I am really trying to change. I can't just keep on thinking I can go on the way I do now. The point of life is to improve. Today I wrote 5,700 words, already put them through the grammar checker, made my notes.

That ain't spam, sis. Not for me at least.

Also, here are the answers regarding your numerous questions.

-Long enough for a traditional novel. I mean, not many people want to read long books, right?
-As long as you feel fit. You just need to plan your stuff, honestly. While doing so, you can leave the book for some good time.
-Drafting the series first could help, since you can then modify most of the drafts while writing a chap. But it may get a bit stressful, and I don't want that.
-I don't think it is a good idea. Like, would it be fair two exact same novel has one getting profits while the other acts as a test? Unless you don't monetize both of them, you should be fine.

Sis, you need a refresh, not another start.

Don't overthink it. You'll meet more road blocks if you do.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Ahhh, the realm of traditional novels! Okay, time for me to step in.

For length, it depends on the genre. If you want a default area to aim for, though, 80,000 to 90,000 words. And no, you don't want to go too big early on. People who tell you length doesn't matter don't know how the traditional novel field works when starting out.

As for how long a book should rest, it depends on you. I've found a month or two helps, but again, that's me.

Whether or not you should draft everything depends on your style. Pantsing and outlining each have pros and cons. I recommend outlining, but I'm biased. Also, there are multiple methods for outlines.

Anyway, major props for your aim to grow! I've been there plenty of times, and I'm all about encouraging that mentality, as I'm far more used to running into complacency than a desire to grow.

Last edited:

doravg

Ahhh, the realm of traditional novels! Okay, time for me to step in.

For length, it depends on the genre. If you want a default area to aim for, though, 80,000 to 90,000 words. And no, you don't want to go too big early on. People who tell you length doesn't matter don't know how the traditional novel field works when starting out.

As for how long a book should rest, it depends on you. I've found a month or two helps, but again, that's me.

Whether or not you should draft everything depends on your style. Pantsing and outlining each have pros and cons. I recommend outlining, but I'm biased. Also, there are multiple methods for outlines.

Anyway, major props for your aim to grow! I've been there plenty of times, and I'm all about encouraging that mentality, as I'm far more used to running into complacency than a desire to grow.
Thanks! I do an outline as I go, because otherwise I lose the writing mojo. That said, I do have a plan for the novel, which fellow Scribblehubers helped me make.

Sylver

Today I wrote 5,700 words
That's impressive, did you write this all in one day? That's about the length of my longest chapter, usually my chapter averages around 2k words.
would it be cheating if I tried to publish the series not under my real name, but under something like Dora V. G.?
Depends. If you're looking to start over then yes, but there is a benefit to keeping our original work with us. It shows our growth and reminds us of the work and effort we've put and how far we've come as writers :s_smile:
I won't end up getting sued because of something like that, right?
For what, writing under a pseudonym? Most writers have a larger gallery of work hidden under a pseudonym, some even grew famous through their pseudonym. You should be fine if that's what you're asking.
Sorry for the spams. I have no one else to turn to. No one that I know in real life writes. Most of them think it is meaningless
I can relate, I think most of us here can relate to that. That is why we are here together :blob_evil_two:

doravg

That's impressive, did you write this all in one day? That's about the length of my longest chapter, usually my chapter averages around 2k words.

Depends. If you're looking to start over then yes, but there is a benefit to keeping our original work with us. It shows our growth and reminds us of the work and effort we've put and how far we've come as writers :s_smile:

For what, writing under a pseudonym? Most writers have a larger gallery of work hidden under a pseudonym, some even grew famous through their pseudonym. You should be fine if that's what you're asking.

I can relate, I think most of us here can relate to that. That is why we are here together :blob_evil_two:
On that day, I wrote 10k in one day. But with the work, I can do just 2k during the workweek.