Scribble Hub Forum

Queenfisher
Queenfisher
I just currently have a bit of a long stretch of slice-of-life amidst the tensiony plot coming up and I really don't want to test the readers' patience by publishing it regularly. I think I can publish it all at once if that allows me to keep the in-story pace the way I want it -- slow and steady. Because the character motivations there develop in a specific manner and I can't rush it.
Queenfisher
Queenfisher
But I also can already imagine how much they'll flip the table if I publish such slow-paced chappies on the regular schedule... :blob_teary:. If I can release them all at once, do you think it's worth doing it?

If you did that (while keeping the pace as you originally intended) -- do you think such method would have helped you?
Queenfisher
Queenfisher
Sorry for clinging so much :blob_melt:
yansusustories
yansusustories
Ah, you're not clinging and I don't mind saying more about it. Let me just see how to wrap this in these less than 420 characters messages or whatever the limit is :blob_hmm: Short answer: No. Elaboration follows ...
yansusustories
yansusustories
Back then, I was posting 3 chapters a day, one is at about 1k words, so that was 21k words of OMF a week and about 90k words a month. The volumes are slightly longer so it'd take me about 1-1.5 months to finish one volume. If somebody thinks writing half a novel for them a month is too slow, I frankly think (by now) that that's on them.
yansusustories
yansusustories
I would say the main problem was that OMF is overall a slow burn novel. The two main characters don't get together until volume 3 (in the revised version), some of the other MCs are introduced even later (think volume 5 or 6 but I'm not quite there yet with the revision), and volume 1 is more of an introduction of the characters surrounding the MC, the trials, and the world.
yansusustories
yansusustories
All of that is stuff the readers need to know to understand the later parts of the series. Like, I think you saw the compendium I put out? Just the relationships between characters get confusing fast so they kind of need to be well-known by the end of volume 1 with the others slowly being introduced later when those are clear. And the lore of the world gets more detailed as we go.
yansusustories
yansusustories
Like, there's a dagger introduced in volume 1 which we'll find out originally came in a set and the second one will play an important part in the plot later. Then there's getting to know the curse on the immortal races that influences everyone, is the reason behind the trials and why the daggers were created etc etc. You get the point. The thing is: It's a series that develops slowly.