Bravely Default [HARD] (CITRA EMULATOR)

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
After noticing how the BP mechanic from Octopath Traveler has been created, I knew I had to play Bravely Default to feel and understand what everyone was feeling while also trying to understand if Ringabel really is the main character! I am excited, but how about you? I can't be the only person playing Bravely Default, right? Oh well, I am gonna get started!

(trying to flex my wallpaper)

(proof of playing it on Hard difficulty - also it can be recorded!)

I'll be giving progress when something interesting comes in! For now, I gladly rush and may my blade is unbending!

hyperkvlt

Lowkey Game Developer
Citra is still on development, so it works with many occasional slow down and lag on my laptop. In the most of time I have to play on maximum battery usage to reduce the number of lag and slowdown. So far only persona Q and Q2 work without much problem on my device.

From what I recall, Bravery Default has rather low compability with not so high spec device. So I never dare to play it. Too menacing for my roasted potato.

Anyway, you're playing with single screen? And not full screen it?

Motsu

Citra is still on development, so it works with many occasional slow down and lag on my laptop. In the most of time I have to play on maximum battery usage to reduce the number of lag and slowdown. So far only persona Q and Q2 work without much problem on my device.

From what I recall, Bravery Default has rather low compability with not so high spec device. So I never dare to play it. Too menacing for my roasted potato.

Anyway, you're playing with single screen? And not full screen it?
I am using a side-by-side screen because it needs it and it's working so good so insofar! I mean, my PC isn't really high spec but it works like a charm... Q and Q2, huh? Maybe I'll try playing that too... never really tried them myself.

hyperkvlt

Lowkey Game Developer
I am using a side-by-side screen because it needs it and it's working so good so insofar! I mean, my PC isn't really high spec but it works like a charm...
Well, PC often works better than laptop. My Graphic card is intel + radeon, and from what I see Citra seems to work better with Nvidia (or maybe that's just me?).

Q and Q2, huh? Maybe I'll try playing that too... never really tried them myself.
Q series are strange combination of Persona and Etrian Odyssey. A dungeon crawling game where you need to draw your own map on the bottom screen. The idea may sound stupid but it actually quite fun. And if you know Persona series, this game actually allow any character to equip sub-persona. But whatever you do, never play severe difficulty unless you love grinding to hell.

Motsu

Well, PC often works better than laptop. My Graphic card is intel + radeon, and from what I see Citra seems to work better with Nvidia (or maybe that's just me?).
I don't know that much.

Q series are strange combination of Persona and Etrian Odyssey. A dungeon crawling game where you need to draw your own map on the bottom screen. The idea may sound stupid but it actually quite fun. And if you know Persona series, this game actually allow any character to equip sub-persona. But whatever you do, never play severe difficulty unless you love grinding to hell.
I've seen most gameplay about Q but hey, it sounds interesting as hell.

Motsu

[PROGRESS: HARD]
The three boss battles weren't really a challenge... aside from the Black Mage boss because I was still trying to get used to the games mechanic and patterns to create some flawless different strategy, shall the tide comes into my bidding. Nevertheless, I'm finally at Chapter 1 after all the dungeon crawling, and well... now I fly with the ship we stole.

It is named the Eschalot, and the tutorial is ridiculously funny... anyway, this is the natural build right now.

[Temporary Build: WILL BE CHANGED IN THE FUTURE]
The main Prologue Build: Black Mage requires MAGE WEAPON ONLY! (easy-to-kill and uses too much MP)
Tiz - Black Mage/Knight [Equipment: HIGH HP and M.ATK]
Agnes - Black Mage/White Mage [Equipment: HIGH HP and M.ATK]
Ringabel - Black Mage/White Mage [Equipments: HIGH HP and M.ATK]
Edea - Knight/White Mage [Equipment: HIGH P.ATK and P.DEF]

Alternative Build: Monk requires no weapon and ONLY COMPUTE DAMAGE THROUGH LEVELS! (skills often miss and others damage you if it's a miss)
Tiz - Monk/Black Mage [Equipment: HIGH HP and NO WEAPONS]
Agnes - Monk/Black Mage [Equipment: HIGH HP and NO WEAPONS]
Ringabel - Monk/Black Mage[Equipment: HIGH HP and NO WEAPONS]
Edea - Knight/White Mage [Equipment: HIGH P.ATK and P.DEF]

Still, I'll be having some little rest now... it seems I am still affected by the overnight boss rush in Octopath Traveler.

[Boss Fights]
First Boss:
Make sure you're level 6 and have brought helmets and weapons your characters will equip. First, do default two times and then spam brave attacks to the White Mage until it is dead! Do the same thing to the muscle-brained boss that has increased his own P.ATK by now.

Second Boss:
All jobs shall be MONK! Throw away your weapons and humanity and make sure you have your sub-class as a white mage (buy Poisona in the Mage Shop!) because the boss inflicts poison which stings. After the preparation, you can either spam brave attack and hope you don't die after the boss's four turns or do default three times and then kill the boss.

Third Boss:
This one is easy... switch to Black Mage and spam Lightning! Beware though, it throws big damage so be sure to equip the HP+ accessory. Or, if you want the careful route, have two of your party member spam Lightning - the other one, will spam cure to a certain degree and then continue attacking with Lightning - and the last will do Default until its BP is 3, after that, SPAM!

Other than that, there is nothing more to share.

Last edited:

Motsu

I've never been active lately but I had some unfortunate news; I can't play Bravely Default II on the two currently ongoing emulators, though, Ryujinx seems to be getting accurate, it has a lot of problems... while Yuzu just doesn't make it work. But yeah, I've tried every single trick in the book, but it seems... to wait until they finally make BDII work is the right option, sad as it may be.

Moreover, I am about to finish Bravely Default and will start Bravely Second: End Layer... I know I haven't written any guides because I had so much work to do but rest assured, I recorded every Asterisk boss battle, aside from the non-asterisks! I'll show my review of Bravely Default after finishing the true end.

Motsu

I've never stopped smiling after beating Bravely Default as the end was merely the promise of such a grand expectation... really, I kept dancing because of that soundtrack - the Serpent Eating the Ground! If anything, I am more grateful to the ever-lasting save and load function of Citra that I manage to beat it immediately without restarting again and again and AGAIN!

Trust me, the final boss is a complete sweeper without any Spiritmaster! But hey, because of the Monk/Dark Knight combo, I was able to unleash 9999 damage with an exchange of only 1 health... well, why exchange 1 health for 9999 damage? Because it is a fair price to be done, especially once you have Spiritmaster for Stillness and Enigma.

When I first started to read a whole essay of whether what best job combo would do well... I was insurmountably confused! Like a sheep in the middle of nowhere, I was hesitating whether I could beat the boss in hard mode for all the complications I could see. You see, I once did Black Mage/Red Mage and I was undefeated... but after the Vampire battle - I decided to change tactics and destroy all the foreseen plan I was getting in my mind. All characters monk w/ dark knight - without weapon and looking feeble and easy to kill... but that was modesty to be said because first comes four braves and phoenix flight - my friend tells me if I am crazy or not - but then, MINUS STRIKE, MINUS STRIKE, and MINUS STRIKE!

My friend falls down his chair and frozen in fear - his acknowledgment became plain clear for all to see.

As you can see, once your health is over 100,000 (with the help of monk's support-ability HP 30% and HP 20%) you'll deal with about:

39,996 = (1 character doing 4 minus strike or phoenix flight (unless full health) and 3 minus strike) 4 9999's
79,992 = (2 characters doing 4 minus strike) 8 9999's
119,998 = (3 characters doing 4 minus strike) 12 9999's
159,984 = (4 characters doing 4 minus strike) 16 9999's

Although, if a boss battle has monologues in it - the damage gets mitigated to only the health it is set to say the monologue... so if you were expecting to one hit a boss battle knowing there are monologues... don't hope for it. If you're doubting me, there is proof that this happens because when Airy makes monologues - you gain DEBUFF even though she never cast any debuff! That would mean the 109,984 damage has been removed and only 50,000 damage was dealt to Airy (who has 100,000 health) because 50,000 is where her monologue comes. Simply saying, a monologued boss fight can't be beaten easily.

I prefer this build for everyone:
Ringabel = Red Mage/Spiritmaster (w/ 10% speed (thief) and all group-cast (black mage) to freely cast Reflect to everyone and Raise if Tiz and Edea is dead)
Agnes = Templar/Spiritmaster (w/ 10% and 20% speed (thief) and immunities (choose) to act with the same speed as Ringabel)
Tiz = Monk/Dark Knight (w/ 20% and 30% health (monk) to get over 100,000 HP)
Edea = Monk/Dark Knight (w/ 20% and 30% health (monk) to get over 100,000 HP)

Ringable and Agnes will either spam Stillness or Rampart depending on the boss... you could also do Fairy Ward and Reflect. Tiz and Edea will either get 3 BP's before they attack to lose only 1 turn or immediately spam 4 times and lose 4 turns (your choice).

Grinding Spot:
Florem Garden - Inner (easy-to-kill enemies, gives medium JP, and everyone here is weak to fire)
Vampire Castle (highest output for grinding money, EXP, and JP)

So anyway... when I searched in google, 'bravely default monk/dark knight?'. That was where all the chaos has started!

Ahem... Bravely Default is simply one of the best Nintendo 3DS's back in 2012 where Nintendo was what usurp as the ascending console that everyone would get once Christmas strikes... but I wasn't the lot who did, because I was late to the party.

Bravely Default is a strategic turn-based JRPG that makes use of Brave, a special ability that lets you attack up to two/three/four times but lose two/three/four turns after the effect. Default, a special ability to block while maintaining and gaining Brave Points. And last of all, Bravely Second, a broken-yet-limited ability to stop time and attack for more than 9999 damage... I know, it seems like a pay-to-win ability but it is actually useless.

Bravely Default is like Final Fantasy, it has different jobs that your characters could use, however, there is a sub-class addition that makes the game even more STRATEGIC! To using different forms of plans to thwart enemies in your way and to unleashing the true limit of the contested jobs in your hands. And I won't exaggerate, jobs are the most important thing in Bravely Default because once you reach Chapter 5, grinding is nothing but a waste of time and all you need is a broken main and sub-class jobs and a perfect strategy to win the game... of course, you can make two mistakes or three, but any more and you'll be punished for it.

Bravely Default has the best final boss soundtrack! Equally on the same league as Octopath Travelers' true final boss soundtrack... seriously, if you played the game - you'll understand what I am talking about. It also has great scenery that soothes my depressing soul, a manipulative encounter rate and difficulty that supports you when dungeon-crawling or if you can't beat a certain boss (although, changing difficulty to make the easiest of the most could hinder your ability to be able to withstand any circumstances that are pretty hard to deal in real life), and an infuriating back-to-back crystal release (I REALLY REALLY HATE IT!).

In my case, Bravely Default gets a 9/10 for me. Now then, to BRAVELY SECOND: END LAYER! MRGRGR! MRGRGR!

(this is actually a sign that Airy is lying and having the title screen change from the normal plain-looking one and then to this... I felt creeped out. This appears after Chapter 5?)
Screenshot 2021-04-30 094252.png

(my clear save and new game+)
Screenshot 2021-04-30 172300.png

I'll post my edited videos about Asterisk boss battles and the final true boss battle along with Airy!

This thread is finished and completed!

Last edited: