Character depth and character development in the story.

I was just wondering what yalls opinions are on this. Me, personally, most of the time I enjoy stories that are more plot driven. I like a tad bit of character depth, and I don't usually care that much about character development. When I watch a movie or book I want to be entertained. I want to be at the edge of my seat. I want to wonder what's going to happen next. Maybe if it was a drama, which I rarely enjoy it would be different. But for crime fiction, horror, action and ish like that, I tend to prefer plot driven stories. What is y'alls opinion. Do y'all prefer a great amount of character depth and character development in fiction that u read? If, so why is that? What makes that so enjoyable? Just wondering and good luck on all of your writing.
I do somewhat enjoy a relateable character though. However, I think of myself as such a unique guy that I tend to only relate to a small amount of characters. I just like the stories. lol.
P.S. I just thought about it and A novel such as Pimp by Iceberg slim would be different though. Although Im not sure if that's fiction or not. Basically cuz ur learning about a lifestyle and I may be more interested in the characters then cuz its very based on reality. Maybe Im partially wrong and it depends on the type of story. Didn't think about it too hard.

Last edited:

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
To me, a story without character development is just an event where everyone is trying to survive, which is entertaining but lacks so much. I guess I'll be entertained for a couple of hours, which is best in movies. A character-driven story will keep me hooked for 100+ chapters or episodes. Even if it's a character I dislike, I love to see them grow into something better or worse.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
I like character driven stories a lot, that might come from the fact I have seen fantasies world to offen to even care, most world seem the same to me, the same is true with plot, first I don't know how a good plot can even function without characters because it just doesn't, like the one above said it can feel just like random events, which in itself is not bad in my opinion.

At the end of the day every story is contrived because ultimately the author chooses what happens and life is mostly about random events happening, such stories where there are random events where interesting characters somehow have to fulfill their goal are one of my favorite kind of story already from the structure. Of course it can be entertaining to see how a character drives a plot forward and at least I am able to enjoy a story a lot even if it mainly focuses on the characters, they are the most entertaining part of every story to me. I can definitely see though why characters wouldn't really matter to you.

Cosmictapestry

To me, an interesting plot without interesting characters is similar to watching a blockbuster movie: You enjoy it at the moment, but as soon as you leave the cinema, you barely remember it.

A good story, to me, is like Crash (2004) where the characters are so memorable that, even now, I remember each scene vividly. The plot is important, but ultimately, what gives some cult favorites a following is their characters, which inspire fanfics and the like.

SailusGebel

Characters can move the story on their own. I feel like characters should always be the focal point when you are brainstorming a story.
I'd say im the exact opposite. I couldn't care less about the plot as long as the characters feel alive and are developing
Can't we have both? You will have to sacrifice something, but can't we have at least a little bit of character development in a plot driven story? Or some plot in a character driven story?

LilRora

Mostly formless
I have always had a problem with character driven stories, that I can only read one kind of story once or twice - then any story with a similar development loses a lot of its appeal. I develop together with the characters I read, kind of, and once I digest the story, well. Done. I'd like something different. It's difficult for me to live through the story again.

Plot-driven stories have a very similar issue for me, but the difference is that plot rarely relies on emotions, but rather it's a problem to be solved, a puzzle. Those can often be engaging even when repeated, while character driven stories... well, for me they burn bright and quick, in a way.

I'm always all in for unique stories, that somehow significantly differ from most other books, be it because of characters, plot, world, or a combination of those or yet something else. Character development can absolutely be one of them.

Last edited:

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Can't we have both? You will have to sacrifice something, but can't we have at least a little bit of character development in a plot driven story? Or some plot in a character driven story?
You can have both. But I'd say authors should start with characters. Most of the stories I drop is because the characters bored me.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I was just wondering what yalls opinions are on this. Me, personally, most of the time I enjoy stories that are more plot driven. I like a tad bit of character depth, and I don't usually care that much about character development. When I watch a movie or book I want to be entertained. I want to be at the edge of my seat. I want to wonder what's going to happen next. Maybe if it was a drama, which I rarely enjoy it would be different. But for crime fiction, horror, action and ish like that, I tend to prefer plot driven stories. What is y'alls opinion. Do y'all prefer a great amount of character depth and character development in fiction that u read? If, so why is that? What makes that so enjoyable? Just wondering and good luck on all of your writing.
I do somewhat enjoy a relateable character though. However, I think of myself as such a unique guy that I tend to only relate to a small amount of characters. I just like the stories. lol.
P.S. I just thought about it and A novel such as Pimp by Iceberg slim would be different though. Although Im not sure if that's fiction or not. Basically cuz ur learning about a lifestyle and I may be more interested in the characters then cuz its very based on reality. Maybe Im partially wrong and it depends on the type of story. Didn't think about it too hard.
:blob_neutral: Not much of a proponent of it, either. But there is character development. And there is character development.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Don't beat me with a shoe. Is JJK a plot driven story, or a character driven story?
That's a good question. I don't know, but the fact that I tried watching it lately and got bored tells me it's neither. The MC is shallow as the plot. The side characters can be good though

I have always had a problem with character driven stories, that I can only read one kind of story once or twice - then any story with a similar development loses a lot of its appeal. I develop together with the characters I read, kind of, and once I digest the story, well. Done. I'd like something different. It's difficult for me to live through the story again.

Plot-driven stories have a very similar issue for me, but the difference is that plot rarely relies on emotions, but rather it's a problem to be solved, a puzzle. Those can often be engaging even when repeated, while character driven stories... well, for me they burn bright and quick, in a way.

I'm always all in for unique stories, that somehow significantly differ from most other books, be it because of characters, plot, world, or a combination of those or yet something else. Character development can absolutely be one of them.
I am new to this ish, but so far my favorite novel has been Dan Brown's Davinci code. It almost reminds me of an indiana jones movie. I don't know why. But the reason I loved it so much was the plot. It was complicated, complex, as well as and it made u wonder what would happen next. The scenes weren't overly descriptive and the character depth wasn't super deep like in a Stephen King story (Which Im not a fan of stephen king). As for getting bored easily with stories u read, I understand that. Everything under the sun has been done already they say, so it's about putting things together in a creative way.

DannyTheDaikon

I came here to laugh at you
Good story should have both strong plot and strong characters. For me, it's not "either/or" but an "and" situation. I've seen many books that had very interesting characters, but the plot left a lot to be desired. In the end, it just felt like a wasted potential, because there was so much more that could've been achieved with the characters.
Then having good plot, but weak and uninteresting characters just makes me feel like there is something missing.

Let me add that it also had an occult vibe to it and it was cool and taught me new things I found interesting. If I can learn interesting stuff from a novel and satisfy my curious mind then that's always a plus.
Good story should have both strong plot and strong characters. For me, it's not "either/or" but an "and" situation. I've seen many books that had very interesting characters, but the plot left a lot to be desired. In the end, it just felt like a wasted potential, because there was so much more that could've been achieved with the characters.
Then having good plot, but weak and uninteresting characters just makes me feel like there is something missing.
That's understandable. lm realizing I do like some stories that have a lot of character depth and ish like that, but it depends on the type of story. Its like I read different stories for different reasons.

Verdant

I’m definitely like that but I do want to like the characters. Characters being completely static is fine but I would hope their personality is tolerable at least, or fun.

I’m definitely like that but I do want to like the characters. Characters being completely static is fine but I would hope their personality is tolerable at least, or fun.
Agreed. I just don't like cheesy or corny characters myself. Sometimes I don't want them to be totally just like in real life, and sometimes it works better for the type of story.
I'll give one good example of what I'm talking about. Stephen King goes deep into the minds and lives of the characters to the point of sacrificing action and everything else. I get it cuz he wants u to form a bond with the characters before he kills them to make it more horrifying and sad. I just personally don't enjoy his books. Even though I've only read one so far. Now, Dan Brown for example, he makes his dialogue somewhat realistic, but he doesn't go to deep into the characters lives, psychological profiles, and all that good stuff, but the plot is beautiful and even complicated. He's my favorite author so far even though I've only read Davinci Code so far. Gonna read Deception Point next.

Last edited:

TwistedRomcom

It depends on the genre.

As you mentioned for Steven King, he goes to great lengths to flesh out the characters and make you feel attached to them. This is standard fare in horror as a genre. Reason being, it's pretty much impossible to make a reader feel scared with prose alone. Books aren't like a movie where you can get a viseral reaction to a jumpscare. Instead you have to make the reader fearful for the characters rather than themselves. The reader can't be hurt by the monster, but the characters can. This obviously only works if you're attached to the characters enough to not want them to die.

With something like the Da Vinci Code, you can get away with focusing less on character and more on plot because it's a mystery. The reader isn't going to spend their time wondering which characters will survive, they're thinking about how to solve the puzzle.