Characters That Many Dislike/Hate but You'll Defend with Your Life?

SternenklarenRitter

Mirai Asahi from Mahoutsukai Precure (an anime rather than a written work) was quite unpopular with fans. She was considered an unrealistic and unrelatable caricature of idealism. But personally, watching the show felt like I was watching a video someone recorded of me when I was a child. I have never found any character in any show, cartoon, anime, videogame, book, comic, etc. more relatable. It may have been unintentional, but the writers and voice actor did a fabulous job portraying one of many presentations of autism in kids. Highly independent from the opinions around her, intense curiosity and desire to explore the world around her, boundless imagination, carries around and talks to a teddybear at much later age than most kids, occasionally struggles to articulate her own desires when they conflict with the plans of her friends, belief in magic at a much later than most kids, and even the rhythm of her voice. All of these were familiar to me and habits I had in childhood.

Aqua from Konosuba. I can’t tell if all of the memes about “hating“ her and calling her “useless” are serious (I’m autistic so I take everything at face value unless told otherwise), but she is genuinely my favorite character in the series. I just think that she’s really cute and funny. For all of her many flaws, she really is a nice girl at heart (for example, think about all of those times she let Kazuma use her as a lap pillow).

And I’m probably slightly biased because she shares her Japanese voice actress with Miia from Monster Musume, who places fairly high on my list of “most favorite anime characters of all time”.