Coverpages

Suzumiya

Hi, I'm not an artist. As a teenager, I put a fair number of hours into drawing, markering, waterpainting, and calligraphy, but the only that that ever really stuck as something I was decent at was calligraphy. So, I'm not at all confident how to go about designing and photoshopping a decent book cover.

Here's my spoilered attempt at one.

Anyway, I've seen a lot of book covers and I'm about 10,000% sure there are very easy things I could improve about it, but I've no idea where to start.

Does somebody know of an image that's similar to this? Maybe I could study such an image and improve on what I've got.

Last edited:

Draculus-del-Viafat

Hello there.
Sorry, I just want to prove to myself that I am a bit stupid. Do you mean bookcover by saying "cover page", or do you mean exactly what you say? It's just that I don't know what a cover page on writers' webites are, but perhaps, I will be able to help... with... something?..

Suzumiya

Hello there.
Sorry, I just want to prove to myself that I am a bit stupid. Do you mean bookcover by saying "cover page", or do you mean exactly what you say? It's just that I don't know what a cover page on writers' webites are, but perhaps, I will be able to help... with... something?..
Yeah, I did.

I think I was confusing "book cover" with "cover page" because initially this book's book cover was intended to be the literal cover page of a report.

Thanks for checking me. :)

Draculus-del-Viafat

No worries. And, by the way, bookcovers are not THAT easy to choose and make :blob_neutral: Unfortunately.
If I were you, I wouldn't put so much text on the book cover. The cover isn't supposed to be a reading page, but a looking page, it must attract readers. The synopsis or anything like it shouldn't be there, as to me.

Last edited:

Leti

Use brighter colours for the text maybe? It's a bit hard to read.

Nyan_sempai

,✨ ILLUSTRATOR ✨
Hi, I'm not an artist. As a teenager, I put a fair number of hours into drawing, markering, waterpainting, and calligraphy, but the only that that ever really stuck as something I was decent at was calligraphy. So, I'm not at all confident how to go about designing and photoshopping a decent book cover.

Here's my spoilered attempt at one.

Anyway, I've seen a lot of book covers and I'm about 10,000% sure there are very easy things I could improve about it, but I've no idea where to start.

Does somebody know of an image that's similar to this? Maybe I could study such an image and improve on what I've got.
There's a lot you need to improve, but the first thing to keep in mind is to at least make the title be of a color that stands out from the illustration

Suzumiya

There's a lot you need to improve, but the first thing to keep in mind is to at least make the title be of a color that stands out from the illustration
I worked on this for a bit and was met with mild success.

I tried a range of things, but ultimately darkened the background and added a light-colored glow to the title.

Does it work? I have a feeling it doesn't - not very well, at least.
Title 2.jpg

I tried a range of things, but ultimately darkened the background and added a light-colored glow to the title.

This would be good if you want to publish a book(hardcover), but if you want to use as your book cover in a web novel, the letters would be useless. Because no one would be able to read it, and also, online readers usually prefer an illustrated/pictorial book cover for online novels.

Suzumiya

This would be good if you want to publish a book(hardcover), but if you want to use as your book cover in a web novel, the letters would be useless. Because no one would be able to read it, and also, online readers usually prefer an illustrated/pictorial book cover for online novels.
I do plan on traditional publication.

The web-novel publication will hopefully serve as de facto advertisement.

What better way, after all, to entice a potential reader than to offer a free copy? :)

Nyan_sempai

,✨ ILLUSTRATOR ✨

Make it bolder, choose a different text ovo
The cover art looks nice