Fictional Physics

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I've had to explain this a few times, So I'm just gonna make a thread to refer people to.

WHAT IS "PHYSICS" IN FICTION?"

In fiction, we write stories based on reality, to some extent or another. It can follow reality very closely, like in a normal, everyday, slice-of-life romance, or it can have magic, super science, or spirits. It can even be really out there, like Flatland, a book about 2-dimensional life, and have very little do to with the laws of reality, as we know it.

However, by definition, every fictional story has FICTIONAL physics, because the book is... duh... fiction. You, the author, have to decide what rules you are keeping, and what rules you are throwing out. For most, this is simple, since most authors don't change physics all that much. Less is more, so most stories have a few changes, stated up front, then the story tries to be "as normal" as possible from there. But maybe YOU are the exception.

I have developed a series of categories that I use for keeping my fictional setting's altered physics properly segregated so it is easier to keep track, thus avoiding emersion-breaking plot holes.

TERMS
  • Pataphysics - Imaginary Science (What we cannot conceive)
  • Metaphysics - Memetic Science (What we conceive)
  • Isophysics - Normal physics, but in the literary sense. (Objective reality)
  • Hypophysics - Quantum mechanics, but literary. (Subjective Reality)
  • Infraphysics - Null science (The science of nothing)
  • Paraphysics - An altered version of Meta, Iso, or Hypo.

EXAMPLES:
  • Pataphysics - Something completely alien to the human way of thought. This would be your neverborns or eldritch horrors of Lovecraftian origins. By definition, you cannot conceive Pataphysical concepts.
  • Metaphysics - This is thought. Pure concepts such as emotions, honor, philosophy, etc.
  • Para-metaphysics - It's where you take normal human thought and give it new rules that couldn't exist. The physical manifestation of thought would be a para-meta concept.
  • Isophysics - "Normal" physics, but the thing is, does "normal" physics really exist in writing? For example, 20 bad guys shoot SMGs at MC and nobody hits. This is Isophysics. Yes, it is POSSIBLE, but really, did that make sense? So, it isn't "physics", it's isophysics.
  • Para-Isophysics - You take physics and add new rules. This is most magic systems.
  • Hypophysics - Quantum mechanics, but again, literary. This gets a little fuzzy because TECHNICALLY, it should only be what is possible, but we don't actually know what is or isn't possible. On some level of reality, when you get small enough, perception changes reality. The act of observation alters what you observe. So this would be quantum mechanics as we understand it.
  • Para-Hypophysics - Quantum physics applied to macro objects. Again, this gets fuzzy. I personally put the line at "How hard is the Magic System/Super Science?" Para-Hypo is more sci-fi than Para-Iso, IMHO. It's more about how much justification you put into your altered physics. How closely do you "observe" your magic system? if you do a lot of hand waving, it's Para-iso. If you are very specific and detailed, chances are it should fall under para-hypo.
  • Infraphysics - The Science of NULL. This is a difficult concept to handle. It is the literary science of NOTHING. The absolute lowest end of concepts. Where we are dealing with the absence of everything. There might be a complete absence of matter/energy/thought, but even empty space has rules and permanence. So, if you are dealing with REALLY alien concepts about NOTHING, then you are dealing with Infraphysics.

You will note, that there are no Para versions of Pata or Infra physics. Why? Because it already IS as Para as we can get. There are no ALTERNATE versions of Pata or Infra physics because humans cannot even begin to conceptualize what is NORMAL for these versions of physics, much less what an alternate version of them would be.

IN PRACTICE:

Let's start with Isophysics:

You might say, why make up a new term? Just call it physics and be done with it. Why call it isophysics? Well, all isophysics falls under normal physics, but not all normal physics, falls under isophysics. What I mean is that isophysics are the rules of reality you, the author are KEEPING.

There was a new manga I read called Colorless. In this setting, it has most of the normal laws of physics. Buildings have foundations. People need to eat. Electricity works. That sort of this. All that would fall under isophysics. However, in this setting, there is no color, except for color that has been collected and harvested. This collected color has magical properties. So, under normal physics, there is a spectrum of color, but in this universe, there is not. The new and altered properties of color would fall under Para-Isophysics. Para-iso would be any normal laws of physics that you have changed or new laws that you have added. Typically, you would put most "normal" magic under para-iso.

However, if you are sticking with normal physics, but just pushing the boundary, it stays in Isophysics. Whenever you do something possible, but highly improbable, you should stick it under isophysics and keep an eye on it. Yes, luck exists, but if you use luck too much, it starts to move from isophysics to para-isophysics, and readers do not like it when you start making up powers on the fly to save your MC. It's a useful tool to keep track of "Possible, but improbable" events in your story. if you use them too much, you might want to consider going back to the start of the story and establishing that your MC is very lucky, or has a blessing from a leprechaun, or something, so it becomes easier for your reader to suspend disbelief.

Metaphysics:

Metaphysics is anything that deals with concepts. This is the realm of memes. If you can imagine it, it falls under metaphysics. We all know what thought is, so I hope I don't have to clarify that. However, you might want to get whacky with your memetics, so that becomes Para-metaphysics. Typically, that would be your ghosts, your spirits, gods, that sort of thing. If you want magic that is based off summoning spirits and then the spirits do the magic, that's Para-metaphysics. If your magic has personalities, it's Para-meta. So if you are just dealing with "hard" magic, you'd stick with para-iso, but if you are dealing with praying for spells, summoning spirits, that sort of thing, then you are moving into para-meta.

Now the two do bleed from one into the other. This isn't a hard and fast set of rules. Remember, this is to help YOU, the author, keep track of how you are altering your fictional setting and the changes you are making to reality. So, while a summoned spirit would be Para-meta, the magic it casts could fall under para-iso. It's useful to think of it this way, so that when you are considering "What can my MC do?" you don't make the mistake of making a given power a Swiss army knife. LIMITATIONS ARE GOOD.

People like to see MCs challenged and then overcome those challenges. They also don't like "new" powers that just 'happen' when the situation needs it. If you need the MC to get out of trouble, see if he has an already established ability you can twist and use in a devious manner to save his ass, rather than make something new, or if you must, make sure it's at least adjacent to an established exception.

Pataphysics:

I didn't make up the name. Some French guy did. This is the physics of what we cannot think of. If you can imagine it, it's metaphysics. If you can't, it's pataphysics. A good example of pataphysics is a 4-dimensional hypercube. We are three-dimensional. We cannot see in four dimensions, so we cannot truly "conceive" of a hypercube. We can make a 3-dimensional shadow of one, but in the end, we are just seeing its shadow and trying to imagine what it might look like

(Actually, because the back of our eyes is effectively "flat", we are seeing a 2-dimensional image of a three-dimensional shadow, of a four-dimensional object. Funny that.)

This is pataphysics in a nutshell. It is where you cannot conceive of something, but you can observe how such a thing might interact with what you CAN conceive. So if you are trying to write about truly alien concepts, then it falls under pataphysics. Oddly enough, a good chunk of horror stories use pataphysics. Most physics we can understand, but the utterly alien tends to send chills up one's spine. We can understand some guy chanting and casting fireballs. It's hard to understand why someone, with tears of bubbling pitch streaming down their face, would open three of their seven mouths to chant the song that destroys the world.

Both involve chanting, one is a bit more disturbing.

Pataphysics doesn't have to be terrifying, however. Look at Terry Pratchett's The Colour of Magic. Magic has a colour that we cannot see unless you are a magic user yourself. it is the 8th color. This would be Pataphysical. It's just a nice, yet alien touch to the story. I also like the part where he describes an object as being so cold it is ANTI-BOILING the water around it. So if you want to add just a pinch of the alien to your story, consider googling prefixes and suffixes and then take some concepts from your story and just mix and match. See what you can come up with.

Hypophysics:

Hypophysics is another word for quantum physics. Again, it is the physics you are keeping, hence why we use this term instead of quantum physics. Hypophysics is about the rules that govern very small things as well as minute details. When you try to observe very small objects, it gets increasingly difficult the smaller it is. For example, you need a microscope to see single-cell organisms. To go smaller, you might use an electron microscope. However, an electron microscope works by shooting a stream of electrons at an object. There is a limit to how small you can go with this.

Let's say you are trying to look at a single proton. If you used an electron microscope, this would be like trying to find out what color a beach ball is in a totally dark room by firing a stream of billard balls at it, then observing where the eight-ball bounced off to. This is what they mean when they say that the act of observing an object changes the object.

On a quantum level, perception changes the object you are looking at. If you took a stream of photons, trying to detect packets of energy, you will find packets of energy. if you switch to detecting for waves instead of particles, you will CHANGE the particles into waves. So if you have a stream of light that you split into two, and you start detecting for particles on one, and waves on the other, you will get 50% and 50% each. However, if you put a detector that detects only waves before the splitter, it will change the beam into 100% waves and you will stop detecting particles.

What's really strange, is that this can work in reverse, changing the photons retroactively one way or the other.

All sorts of strangeness occurs with quantum mechanics. Teleportation, tunneling, entanglement, and some REALLY strange stuff that seems to break the speed of light and conservation of matter and energy. However, it has limits. You can't walk through walls. You can't teleport a person.

But what if you COULD?

That's where Para-hypophysics comes in. If you are dealing with super-science instead of straight-up magic, then chances are you are dealing with para-hypophysics. When you want to break the speed of light, you might turn your MC into a macro-tachyon. You know what a sonic boom is, right? What if you want to break the light barrier? Would that be a "Luminal Boom"? What the hell would that even look like?

Para-hypophysics is like a scalpel, whereas Para-iso is more of a sledgehammer. The "science" of Star Trek is mostly straight-up magic when you think about it, but the writers (used to) put in a lot of effort to TRY and connect it to real-world physics. There is no reason you cannot mix and match. You see, while I'm mostly splitting it up by Fantasy being para-iso and Super Science being para-hypo, it's not quite that simple.

Para-hypo is more about how perception alters reality, and Para-iso is more about altered objective reality. A wizard just says, "By my will be done" and casts his spell. The scientist needs to justify what he is doing. He has to perceive how the magic works. He needs a full framework in his mind of all the steps. So a "hard" magic system would fall under Para-hypo, because you are getting down into the nitty gritty. Most very complex magic systems in a LitRPG would technically fall under para-hypo.

If you do a lot of hand-waving, or magic isn't that central to your story, you can keep most of it in Para-iso. However, if you plan on getting down into the details of how the system works, you are "Observing" it in great detail, then it's Para-hypo. Note, that this isn't a hard limit here. Again, these are just ways of keeping concepts subdivided so it is easier to keep track of how your setting works.

Infraphysics:

Finally, we get to the strangest of the categories. The physics of nothing. What is nothing? And I mean, Null, Not Zero, because zero is a number and therefore exists. I'm talking about Nul, where you don't even have a ZERO. What is empty space? Is the void actually something? If you had a box with a true vacuum in it, and no light or any form of radiation or bosons of any sort passed through, and you brought it down to absolute zero inside the box, is anything there?

Oddly enough, yes. If you could take something down to true absolute zero, the universe would force the temperature back up via virtual particles, thus creating energy. If you could keep harvesting it, you could achieve what is called, zero-point energy. Which is basically taking reality and dividing by zero and somehow getting a result.

Alas, since the conservation of matter and energy exists, you don't get it for free. What you are doing is converting reality into energy. Imagine that the world was on a grid, like most video games. You have to place things on the grid, or objects snap to the grid for placement. Zero Point energy would be like burning the grid ITSELF for fuel. In other words, using the very fabric of the universe for kindling. On paper, it sounds nice. I bet there would be some problems if we actually pulled it off.

If you are dealing with concepts like this, you are dealing with infraphysics. But it would also cover the use of "null" in general. Another example would be how you view magic working. In Forgotten Realms, magic works because of "The Weave", but the goddess Shar noticed that the weave left gaps. The weave casts a "shadow" between the threads of the weave. So the goddess of night used this "shadow weave" to set up an alternate power source for magic that allowed her to get around the goddess of magic's stranglehold on magic.

Perhaps you view magic as gathering mana and then releasing it. An alternate method might be to "dig a hole" in reality. To create a "mana vacuum" that then, due to thermodynamics, causes mana to flow into the "negative space", and thus a way of using the mana around you without "gathering" it. So if normal magic users gather magic into themselves and then use that to cast magic, this "vacuum magic" would be more about clawing a hole in reality, then stealing mana from sources around you to "fill up" the hole.

Infraphysics is a hard concept to tackle. It's basically the exact opposite of Pataphysics. At least pataphysics allows you to infer what you cannot conceive by observing how the inconceivable interacts with the conceivable. With infraphysics, you literally have NOTHING TO WORK WITH. It is more of "the edge of the map" than a concept that you would use for organizing the laws of your fictional setting, but if you are the sort who likes to play around with "Things Man Was Never Ment To Know", then this category is definately somewhere on your "To Do" list for things to play with.

CONCLUSION:

Think of these categories as just the way to order things so that when you are considering adding in a new power, or exception to the laws of physics, you can properly compare it to the other exceptions you have already added and say to yourself, "Does this add anything to the story, or is there a better way to do this? Have I changed too much, or does this fit in with what I'm doing?

For example, if your story is a romance where the magic system revolves around summoning sexy nymphs and fluttering faeries to cast spells and do magic, it wouldn't make much sense to have the Villain use laser blasters and robots. Now summoning spirits to shoot lightning bolts, or binding them into corpses to create an undead army, that fits much better.

I hope this helps you to organize your thoughts when you are considering the fundamental rules of the fictional universe you are trying to create, and/or this clarifies/explains what terms I am using if I sent you here from some other discussion.

TotallyHuman

feels too complicated.
Maybe this structure works for you, but I cannot imagine how I (and since any emulation of any other person I make would, at the end of the day, be based on me with minor perturbations, how anybody) would actually go around using it.
In fact, in what case would anybody need to think so hard how fictional physics work?
If a novel exists to tell a message about, say, how true love is meant to be selfless, and some magic mumbo jumbo is there in the settings, the author doesn't need to imagine how this magic would affect the way the world works. If some nerd complains that this magic would crush the economy or how some guy could take over the world with it or how there'd be some nuclear explosion with this magic then this novel wasn't meant for them.
If a novel is meant for sucking mc's dick (and vicariously readers' and writer's dick) the author needs to think about it even less.

Last edited:

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
feels too complicated.
Maybe this structure works for you, but I cannot imagine how I (and since any emulation of any other person I make would, at the end of the day, be based on me with minor perturbations, how anybody) would actually go around using it.
In fact, in what case would anybody need to think so hard how fictional physics work?
If a novel exists to tell a message about, say, how true love is meant to be selfless, and some magic mumbo jumbo is there in the settings, the author doesn't need to imagine how this magic would affect the way the world works. If some nerd complains that this magic would crush the economy or how some guy could take over the world with it or how there'd be some nuclear explosion with this magic then this novel wasn't meant for them.
If a novel is meant for sucking mc's dick (and vicariously readers' and writer's dick) the author needs to think about it even less.
When I listen to people who review fiction, you would be surprised how often "world-building" and "internal consistency" comes into play. You might not care that the "Holdo Maneuver" breaks how FTL works in Star Wars, but the people who spend money on Star Wars' merchandise do. If they had a little checklist to compare things against, maybe they'd realize that they were destroying the franchise.

If you want to be lazy, go right ahead. Red Queen, Twilight, 50 Shades of Grey, and Insurgent all show you can make a whole lot of money without worrying about logic, reason, or internal consistency.

TotallyHuman

When I listen to people who review fiction, you would be surprised how often "world-building" and "internal consistency" comes into play. You might not care that the "Holdo Maneuver" breaks how FTL works in Star Wars, but the people who spend money on Star Wars' merchandise do. If they had a little checklist to compare things against, maybe they'd realize that they were destroying the franchise.
If some nerd complains that this magic would crush the economy or how some guy could take over the world with it or how there'd be some nuclear explosion with this magic then this novel wasn't meant for them.
If a work's goal is to make money, then the ball is out of the hands of the creator as a writer but in the hands of the creator as a marketologist. It doesn't matter if that bunch complains because they either begrudgingly will continue to consoom the product or will be replaced by more people who will consoom the product.
If the goal is to make maximum profits the ball has never been in the hands of the creator as a writer in the first place.
Red Queen, Twilight, 50 Shades of Grey, and Insurgent all show you can make a whole lot of money without worrying about logic, reason, or internal consistency.
To prove the point

Last edited:

Placeholder

> feels too complicated

It's backdrop which may become active story elements. While the author may keep track of it, the reader may not see the details, like the Force in episodes 4-6. This may a blessing.

> "internal consistency"
❤️🔥

SsemouyOnan

Scientific Witchery
As someone who loves science fantasy, and to an extent hard sci-fi(though by jove I shall never write it myself), I just wanna say I appreciate what you've cooked up here <3.

Feats always seem much cooler when authors try to explain them. Yeah okay that planet dwarfs the sun, but it's actually a birch world worth the mass of an entire galaxy with a black hole in the center keeping it together? Damn, that's cool.

Also I've only read the first part before posting this. Cause I'd read everything but the car I'm in is pretty bumpy so my head will hurt.

Placeholder

> Infraphysics - Null science (The science of nothing)

As soon as nothingness couples with matter, energy, or physical space, normal physics should apply. As an exercise, disprove this.

SailusGebel

feels too complicated.
based OG bigT :blob_shade:

Raymann

Da_Villainess™ (¬‿¬)ψ
Information overload, deleting the brain again.
💥😎🔫

Last edited:

bulmabriefs144

I think when you added the Para-stuff you gave everyone a headache. You ought to have stuck to main categories and explained around them. Otherwise everyone is wondering if they did the real thing our not and microanalyzing their own work. Btw, para- means "outside" so I think the word you're looking for is Quasi- or Demi- as in Parapsychology or Paranormal.
I've had to explain this a few times, So I'm just gonna make a thread to refer people to.

WHAT IS "PHYSICS" IN FICTION?"

In fiction, we write stories based on reality, to some extent or another. It can follow reality very closely, like in a normal, everyday, slice-of-life romance, or it can have magic, super science, or spirits. It can even be really out there, like Flatland, a book about 2-dimensional life, and have very little do to with the laws of reality, as we know it.

However, by definition, every fictional story has FICTIONAL physics, because the book is... duh... fiction. You, the author, have to decide what rules you are keeping, and what rules you are throwing out. For most, this is simple, since most authors don't change physics all that much. Less is more, so most stories have a few changes, stated up front, then the story tries to be "as normal" as possible from there. But maybe YOU are the exception.

I have developed a series of categories that I use for keeping my fictional setting's altered physics properly segregated so it is easier to keep track, thus avoiding emersion-breaking plot holes.

TERMS
  • Pataphysics - Imaginary Science (What we cannot conceive)
  • Metaphysics - Memetic Science (What we conceive)
  • Isophysics - Normal physics, but in the literary sense. (Objective reality)
  • Hypophysics - Quantum mechanics, but literary. (Subjective Reality)
  • Infraphysics - Null science (The science of nothing)
  • Paraphysics - An altered version of Meta, Iso, or Hypo.

EXAMPLES:
  • Pataphysics - Something completely alien to the human way of thought. This would be your neverborns or eldritch horrors of Lovecraftian origins. By definition, you cannot conceive Pataphysical concepts.
  • Metaphysics - This is thought. Pure concepts such as emotions, honor, philosophy, etc.
  • Para-metaphysics - It's where you take normal human thought and give it new rules that couldn't exist. The physical manifestation of thought would be a para-meta concept.
  • Isophysics - "Normal" physics, but the thing is, does "normal" physics really exist in writing? For example, 20 bad guys shoot SMGs at MC and nobody hits. This is Isophysics. Yes, it is POSSIBLE, but really, did that make sense? So, it isn't "physics", it's isophysics.
  • Para-Isophysics - You take physics and add new rules. This is most magic systems.
  • Hypophysics - Quantum mechanics, but again, literary. This gets a little fuzzy because TECHNICALLY, it should only be what is possible, but we don't actually know what is or isn't possible. On some level of reality, when you get small enough, perception changes reality. The act of observation alters what you observe. So this would be quantum mechanics as we understand it.
  • Para-Hypophysics - Quantum physics applied to macro objects. Again, this gets fuzzy. I personally put the line at "How hard is the Magic System/Super Science?" Para-Hypo is more sci-fi than Para-Iso, IMHO. It's more about how much justification you put into your altered physics. How closely do you "observe" your magic system? if you do a lot of hand waving, it's Para-iso. If you are very specific and detailed, chances are it should fall under para-hypo.
  • Infraphysics - The Science of NULL. This is a difficult concept to handle. It is the literary science of NOTHING. The absolute lowest end of concepts. Where we are dealing with the absence of everything. There might be a complete absence of matter/energy/thought, but even empty space has rules and permanence. So, if you are dealing with REALLY alien concepts about NOTHING, then you are dealing with Infraphysics.

You will note, that there are no Para versions of Pata or Infra physics. Why? Because it already IS as Para as we can get. There are no ALTERNATE versions of Pata or Infra physics because humans cannot even begin to conceptualize what is NORMAL for these versions of physics, much less what an alternate version of them would be.

IN PRACTICE:

Let's start with Isophysics:

You might say, why make up a new term? Just call it physics and be done with it. Why call it isophysics? Well, all isophysics falls under normal physics, but not all normal physics, falls under isophysics. What I mean is that isophysics are the rules of reality you, the author are KEEPING.

There was a new manga I read called Colorless. In this setting, it has most of the normal laws of physics. Buildings have foundations. People need to eat. Electricity works. That sort of this. All that would fall under isophysics. However, in this setting, there is no color, except for color that has been collected and harvested. This collected color has magical properties. So, under normal physics, there is a spectrum of color, but in this universe, there is not. The new and altered properties of color would fall under Para-Isophysics. Para-iso would be any normal laws of physics that you have changed or new laws that you have added. Typically, you would put most "normal" magic under para-iso.

However, if you are sticking with normal physics, but just pushing the boundary, it stays in Isophysics. Whenever you do something possible, but highly improbable, you should stick it under isophysics and keep an eye on it. Yes, luck exists, but if you use luck too much, it starts to move from isophysics to para-isophysics, and readers do not like it when you start making up powers on the fly to save your MC. It's a useful tool to keep track of "Possible, but improbable" events in your story. if you use them too much, you might want to consider going back to the start of the story and establishing that your MC is very lucky, or has a blessing from a leprechaun, or something, so it becomes easier for your reader to suspend disbelief.

Metaphysics:

Metaphysics is anything that deals with concepts. This is the realm of memes. If you can imagine it, it falls under metaphysics. We all know what thought is, so I hope I don't have to clarify that. However, you might want to get whacky with your memetics, so that becomes Para-metaphysics. Typically, that would be your ghosts, your spirits, gods, that sort of thing. If you want magic that is based off summoning spirits and then the spirits do the magic, that's Para-metaphysics. If your magic has personalities, it's Para-meta. So if you are just dealing with "hard" magic, you'd stick with para-iso, but if you are dealing with praying for spells, summoning spirits, that sort of thing, then you are moving into para-meta.

Now the two do bleed from one into the other. This isn't a hard and fast set of rules. Remember, this is to help YOU, the author, keep track of how you are altering your fictional setting and the changes you are making to reality. So, while a summoned spirit would be Para-meta, the magic it casts could fall under para-iso. It's useful to think of it this way, so that when you are considering "What can my MC do?" you don't make the mistake of making a given power a Swiss army knife. LIMITATIONS ARE GOOD.

People like to see MCs challenged and then overcome those challenges. They also don't like "new" powers that just 'happen' when the situation needs it. If you need the MC to get out of trouble, see if he has an already established ability you can twist and use in a devious manner to save his ass, rather than make something new, or if you must, make sure it's at least adjacent to an established exception.

Pataphysics:

I didn't make up the name. Some French guy did. This is the physics of what we cannot think of. If you can imagine it, it's metaphysics. If you can't, it's pataphysics. A good example of pataphysics is a 4-dimensional hypercube. We are three-dimensional. We cannot see in four dimensions, so we cannot truly "conceive" of a hypercube. We can make a 3-dimensional shadow of one, but in the end, we are just seeing its shadow and trying to imagine what it might look like

(Actually, because the back of our eyes is effectively "flat", we are seeing a 2-dimensional image of a three-dimensional shadow, of a four-dimensional object. Funny that.)

This is pataphysics in a nutshell. It is where you cannot conceive of something, but you can observe how such a thing might interact with what you CAN conceive. So if you are trying to write about truly alien concepts, then it falls under pataphysics. Oddly enough, a good chunk of horror stories use pataphysics. Most physics we can understand, but the utterly alien tends to send chills up one's spine. We can understand some guy chanting and casting fireballs. It's hard to understand why someone, with tears of bubbling pitch streaming down their face, would open three of their seven mouths to chant the song that destroys the world.

Both involve chanting, one is a bit more disturbing.

Pataphysics doesn't have to be terrifying, however. Look at Terry Pratchett's The Colour of Magic. Magic has a colour that we cannot see unless you are a magic user yourself. it is the 8th color. This would be Pataphysical. It's just a nice, yet alien touch to the story. I also like the part where he describes an object as being so cold it is ANTI-BOILING the water around it. So if you want to add just a pinch of the alien to your story, consider googling prefixes and suffixes and then take some concepts from your story and just mix and match. See what you can come up with.

Hypophysics:

Hypophysics is another word for quantum physics. Again, it is the physics you are keeping, hence why we use this term instead of quantum physics. Hypophysics is about the rules that govern very small things as well as minute details. When you try to observe very small objects, it gets increasingly difficult the smaller it is. For example, you need a microscope to see single-cell organisms. To go smaller, you might use an electron microscope. However, an electron microscope works by shooting a stream of electrons at an object. There is a limit to how small you can go with this.

Let's say you are trying to look at a single proton. If you used an electron microscope, this would be like trying to find out what color a beach ball is in a totally dark room by firing a stream of billard balls at it, then observing where the eight-ball bounced off to. This is what they mean when they say that the act of observing an object changes the object.

On a quantum level, perception changes the object you are looking at. If you took a stream of photons, trying to detect packets of energy, you will find packets of energy. if you switch to detecting for waves instead of particles, you will CHANGE the particles into waves. So if you have a stream of light that you split into two, and you start detecting for particles on one, and waves on the other, you will get 50% and 50% each. However, if you put a detector that detects only waves before the splitter, it will change the beam into 100% waves and you will stop detecting particles.

What's really strange, is that this can work in reverse, changing the photons retroactively one way or the other.

All sorts of strangeness occurs with quantum mechanics. Teleportation, tunneling, entanglement, and some REALLY strange stuff that seems to break the speed of light and conservation of matter and energy. However, it has limits. You can't walk through walls. You can't teleport a person.

But what if you COULD?

That's where Para-hypophysics comes in. If you are dealing with super-science instead of straight-up magic, then chances are you are dealing with para-hypophysics. When you want to break the speed of light, you might turn your MC into a macro-tachyon. You know what a sonic boom is, right? What if you want to break the light barrier? Would that be a "Luminal Boom"? What the hell would that even look like?

Para-hypophysics is like a scalpel, whereas Para-iso is more of a sledgehammer. The "science" of Star Trek is mostly straight-up magic when you think about it, but the writers (used to) put in a lot of effort to TRY and connect it to real-world physics. There is no reason you cannot mix and match. You see, while I'm mostly splitting it up by Fantasy being para-iso and Super Science being para-hypo, it's not quite that simple.

Para-hypo is more about how perception alters reality, and Para-iso is more about altered objective reality. A wizard just says, "By my will be done" and casts his spell. The scientist needs to justify what he is doing. He has to perceive how the magic works. He needs a full framework in his mind of all the steps. So a "hard" magic system would fall under Para-hypo, because you are getting down into the nitty gritty. Most very complex magic systems in a LitRPG would technically fall under para-hypo.

If you do a lot of hand-waving, or magic isn't that central to your story, you can keep most of it in Para-iso. However, if you plan on getting down into the details of how the system works, you are "Observing" it in great detail, then it's Para-hypo. Note, that this isn't a hard limit here. Again, these are just ways of keeping concepts subdivided so it is easier to keep track of how your setting works.

Infraphysics:

Finally, we get to the strangest of the categories. The physics of nothing. What is nothing? And I mean, Null, Not Zero, because zero is a number and therefore exists. I'm talking about Nul, where you don't even have a ZERO. What is empty space? Is the void actually something? If you had a box with a true vacuum in it, and no light or any form of radiation or bosons of any sort passed through, and you brought it down to absolute zero inside the box, is anything there?

Oddly enough, yes. If you could take something down to true absolute zero, the universe would force the temperature back up via virtual particles, thus creating energy. If you could keep harvesting it, you could achieve what is called, zero-point energy. Which is basically taking reality and dividing by zero and somehow getting a result.

Alas, since the conservation of matter and energy exists, you don't get it for free. What you are doing is converting reality into energy. Imagine that the world was on a grid, like most video games. You have to place things on the grid, or objects snap to the grid for placement. Zero Point energy would be like burning the grid ITSELF for fuel. In other words, using the very fabric of the universe for kindling. On paper, it sounds nice. I bet there would be some problems if we actually pulled it off.

If you are dealing with concepts like this, you are dealing with infraphysics. But it would also cover the use of "null" in general. Another example would be how you view magic working. In Forgotten Realms, magic works because of "The Weave", but the goddess Shar noticed that the weave left gaps. The weave casts a "shadow" between the threads of the weave. So the goddess of night used this "shadow weave" to set up an alternate power source for magic that allowed her to get around the goddess of magic's stranglehold on magic.

Perhaps you view magic as gathering mana and then releasing it. An alternate method might be to "dig a hole" in reality. To create a "mana vacuum" that then, due to thermodynamics, causes mana to flow into the "negative space", and thus a way of using the mana around you without "gathering" it. So if normal magic users gather magic into themselves and then use that to cast magic, this "vacuum magic" would be more about clawing a hole in reality, then stealing mana from sources around you to "fill up" the hole.

Infraphysics is a hard concept to tackle. It's basically the exact opposite of Pataphysics. At least pataphysics allows you to infer what you cannot conceive by observing how the inconceivable interacts with the conceivable. With infraphysics, you literally have NOTHING TO WORK WITH. It is more of "the edge of the map" than a concept that you would use for organizing the laws of your fictional setting, but if you are the sort who likes to play around with "Things Man Was Never Ment To Know", then this category is definately somewhere on your "To Do" list for things to play with.

CONCLUSION:

Think of these categories as just the way to order things so that when you are considering adding in a new power, or exception to the laws of physics, you can properly compare it to the other exceptions you have already added and say to yourself, "Does this add anything to the story, or is there a better way to do this? Have I changed too much, or does this fit in with what I'm doing?

For example, if your story is a romance where the magic system revolves around summoning sexy nymphs and fluttering faeries to cast spells and do magic, it wouldn't make much sense to have the Villain use laser blasters and robots. Now summoning spirits to shoot lightning bolts, or binding them into corpses to create an undead army, that fits much better.

I hope this helps you to organize your thoughts when you are considering the fundamental rules of the fictional universe you are trying to create, and/or this clarifies/explains what terms I am using if I sent you here from some other discussion.
So basically, I think I worked with all of them when writing Oracle of Tao, I think? I tried to describe the indescribable a couple of times with abstract concepts like a land without evil becoming even more good, or when I described Monsters and such (Pataphysics). As well as Metaphysical concepts like Afterlife. I had a system where I dealt with Void world and magic, and there was an empty blank canvas outside reality (Infraphysics). I dealt with Isophysics only occasionally, when I talked about how the New Earth had different basic rules of physics, like most people didn't get obese or anorexic because the reality was based on desire, and so only suicidal people got grossly over/underweight, and there were objects called First Materials (e.g. First Iron) that were kinda self-repairing. Lastly, I had two parallel systems: Runes (which change Subjective Reality) and Original Intent (which change Objective Reality). In other words, with most magic, you can't change a person's appearance because their Original Intent causes a snap-back. But there were certain things like alchemy that could work with Original Intent to define basic traits of matter, such as how water worked.

Cortavar

Your explanations are deep, complex and thorough. However, I feel like that guy after reading you:

jfk-clone-high.gif

That being said, if you're really into dissecting settings, your categories might work. The important thing is that they work for you, and help you tell better stories.

I still prefer to mentally classify the stories I read (not writing yet) on two axes: plausibility and consistency. Plausibility would be your iso and hypo physics, rated by how close to the real world they are. Consistency would be the fact that once a rule deviating from 'normal reality' is settled, it doesn't change.

You can add a third dimension, heroism, dealing with how much the heroes and villains are pushing the rules and plausibility of the setting.

Let's take a few random exemples, as I would rate them:
- The 3 musketeers: high plausibility, high consistency and high heroism.
- Lord of The Rings: medium plausibility, high consistency and medium heroism.
- Star Wars: medium plausibility, medium-low consistency and high heroism.
- Pacific Rim: medium high plausibility, medium high consistency and medium low heroism.
- HP Lovecraft's stories: low plausibility, high consistency, low heroism.

What's important is that everyone can get tools to understand settings and stories. Use your tools, mine, combine them, create your own, whatever you like! The more mental tools you have in your mind-toolbox, the more nuanced you can be.