How do other sci-fi authors gain readers?

Menilik

It morally depends on how interesting your premise, thumbnail, prologue/beginning chapters, and title.

This is bias but I really do take a novel depending on it's first look than reading till it gets good
I was chatting to Tsuru and they said a great cover is everything too. What do you think about switching my cover to something like this https://menilikdyer.com/assets/images/image03.jpg?v=71ae0399
I just join random discords and type RAPE over and over. It might tank your story rating, but damn does it attract readers. It's like the magic phrase for internet authors.
Sounds like a strategy of “no publicity is bad publicity”

Erios909

I was chatting to Tsuru and they said a great cover is everything too. What do you think about switching my cover to something like this https://menilikdyer.com/assets/images/image03.jpg?v=71ae0399

Sounds like a strategy of “no publicity is bad publicity”
Covers really do better when they have a character for the reader to connect to, in my opinion.
I'm not saying a space ship can't work, the space ship could qualify as the 'character' in the cover even. I've seen quite a few nice covers with ships in them.
But your current one the space ship isn't the focus of the art, it feels smaller and further away than I would like. My eyes are drawn to the planet, at least that is how it feels to me. I don't connect to a planet as well so the cover feels weaker than the new one you propose.

Yeah, I like it a lot more. It might be that a more anime style would be more preferred on SH since the readers here tend to be a bit younger and anime is very popular right now, but I think it is nice anyway.

Menilik

Covers really do better when they have a character for the reader to connect to, in my opinion.
I'm not saying a space ship can't work, the space ship could qualify as the 'character' in the cover even. I've seen quite a few nice covers with ships in them.
But your current one the space ship isn't the focus of the art, it feels smaller and further away than I would like. My eyes are drawn to the planet, at least that is how it feels to me. I don't connect to a planet as well so the cover feels weaker than the new one you propose.

Yeah, I like it a lot more. It might be that a more anime style would be more preferred on SH since the readers here tend to be a bit younger and anime is very popular right now, but I think it is nice anyway.
Not quite anime, but what about this one? It's another one of my characters.

Tsuru

Robot
My cover got hated on. :blob_teary:
Nope. Contrary. I very very like it (cover). Also it seems it is your own drawing. Do you have a pixiv account ? I truly can't find a website hosting your art beside royalroad. And seriously they rival the popular ones of jp artists that link to FANBOX/FANTIA to unlock some images.

Sorry for my misleading words that i seem to batch anime culture.
I am otaku coomer myself (basically i am like Houshou Marine) but just that internet is full of chuuni zoomers that don't truly understand anime culture.

If before otaku-kun is alone in corner, now everyone watch animes, BUT it doesnt change the fact most of them are douche human beings in their core, the kind that laugh at the pain of others or doing shit pranks.
Also the meme of "seasonal waifu" fit them.
Not quite anime, but what about this one? It's another one of my characters.
Could get a decent rank in painting competition but not fitting of what wants nowadays teens

1) Switch your style, stop going "painting style"
2) Study "chara designs", because you clearly don't understand that pretty (sexy) girls or cool stuff are what attract the kids (adults too cough). Not that i say the bird in the image is ugly but that it doesn't work in 2022
3) Like i said, there must something EYECATCHING ! Heck put a exploding supernova in the background of it, THAT, is a way to do it for example.Just make your image be REMARKABLE among HUNDREDS of images when someone scroll fast among them.
And even more exaggerated bonus, having the bird smiling evilly (keikaku dorri) could make it even more remarkable.

big tl;dr : Go find more about teens of 2022. Harsh words incoming : You are like a car seller in a country without roads or a countrybumpkin selling eggs in a big city full of supermarkets. Go watch some marvel movies, or go find some young cousins or nephews to talk to. Surf internet. Go watch the news. JUST LEARN.
I've been posting chapters on Royal Road, Scribblehub, and HFY (Reddit).

I find the trickle of new readers to be good. But I was wondering if any other authors out there have tips for gaining readers? Like my mum told me my story was good. But I don't think WOM is going to snowball into a large reader base.
Heck, a fitting example for you : https://www.scribblehub.com/series/486363/cheep/
Look the cover
Painting style cover. And to be honest is ..................."not so good" (using the tamest words) and even facepalm worthy
But guess what. Trending main page number 5.

Do the experiment of asking a random person to glance fast at the 8 trendings.
Then ask them "what caught your eyes or what marked you the most ?"
Most would probably this 4 categories : Number 1 bc it got a playstation controller in grey / Number 2 "VERY HANDSOME blond guy" / Number 5 "i can't succeed to forget the ugly bird" / Number 6 "thunder" / Number 7 "i like her grin"

Last edited:

beast_regards

You have 213 followers on Royal Road by chapter 15.

That's not an ignored story. You can get worse. It just isn't the Rising Stars material.

RockiesRetriever

I've been posting chapters on Royal Road, Scribblehub, and HFY (Reddit).

I find the trickle of new readers to be good. But I was wondering if any other authors out there have tips for gaining readers? Like my mum told me my story was good. But I don't think WOM is going to snowball into a large reader base.

Writing online is difficult. If you enjoy reading sci fi and fantasy, when you are looking for a new novel to read, you're going to ask your friends or family. That means what stories get to you are more well known ones. Stories get well known through actually being formally published (doesn't matter whether people are reading it in print or digitally.)

What matters is traditional publishing is getting you actual advertising, its getting your story out into the real world where fans of those genres can find it. Thus, the majority of fans of sci fi and fantasy, and other more traditional works, are not going to be searching online, especially when there is not a quality filter.

So what do we find online then? What we find online is an audience of people who wants nontraditional kinds of stories that are not published as often. They are not looking for sci fi and fantasy usually. It fluctuates depending on the site. Wattpad has a lot of romance fiction - this is still published IRL, but the genre has always had a bit of a pulpy nature, so readers are willing to look at the stuff online, especially if it is LGBTQ fiction, or more... well, weird fanfiction stuff.

Royal Road is the closest of the sites to more traditional genres, though I found no success there, and can't say much.

Scribblehub is largely focused on anime inspired stories, and most of the successful works are catering to non-western sensibilities in regards to narrative.

Thus that's why traditional speculative fiction writers are going to struggle online. Their main audience is not looking online, and the online audience is not as interested in what they are offering. This is of course, not to say we don't find typical stuff on these sites. You totally can release stuff here. If you are consistent in your upload schedule, have an engaging narrative with good quality, release it at decent times, advertise it to an appropriate degree, you can build an audience.

Growing an audience in this way can be tough. You need to be making a consistent quality output for a long period of time, to the point where you're stories have tens of thousands of views. That's the point where you can start thinking about stuff like patreon, or releasing your stories in full as ebooks on Amazon.

Self publishing is difficult, whatever route you take, but it is possible. A word of caution though. If you have any desire to pursue traditional publishing, do not publish said manuscripts online. Traditional publishers want something called "first publishing rights" - basically, they want to be the first to show your story to the world, they want exclusivity. If your story has been online, they don't want it anymore. Online writing could perhaps help you - if you have stories that you have released online, and then show them as example that you can gain an audience, then show the publisher an unreleased story.

Personally I am choosing not to pursue self publishing. I'm saving my stories for showing to publishers. What I'm writing here is just a little furry sci fi story that I'm not as invested in that I'm using to improve my writing skills. It's a story that probably wouldn't be published traditionally, and so I'm not too sad to see the first publishing rights evaporate.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you. Being a writer can be difficult. Whether you want to pursue it as a career, for fun, or somewhere inbetween, I encourage you to not give up on it, and to just practice your heart out. Write tons of stories, do all you can to improve.

Best of luck to you fellow sci fi author.