How do you use the slice of life genre?

My story is very much slice-of-life. A good visual representation for both my story and the genre in general is the TV series "Young Sheldon", if you're familiar with it. Or for the adult characters "Big Bang Theory". Comedy is often slice-of-life, but dramatized to make it funny.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
I would say slice of live shows just the normal life of a character, not a grand story of beating evil and a journey to save the world or the opposite even, just the story of a character.
I think Unliving is the novel that gives me the most slice of life vibes, the entire novel is slice of life and that would no sense for most because there's a lot of war and friction and tragedy but it's too part of the (un)life of the mc.

KDBooks97

Slice of life, to me is very much about showing the daily lives of your characters and showing their personalities. In my experience, writing good slice of life is hard but rewarding, as your characters have to carry the story. If your character isn't engaging/likeable/interesting enough, your slice of life will fall flat.

Another factor is emotions, character arcs and a good hook. My story, while by no means a perfect example, does this to make the slice of life style more interesting.

My main character is initially a somewhat whiny, sheltered church kid who is out on her own for the first time. She's a little selfish, idealistic and overreacts to people's criticism. The whole story is literally about her getting her shit together and figuring out who she is. It's meant to be relatable, funny, realistic and raw. While she never faces a big bad guy or saves the world, she's constantly conquering setbacks, bettering herself and maturing.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Akshually!

I mean if you want to go full nerd, then everything that focuses on one or more characters is slice-of-life since you're literally taking a slice of their life to turn it into a story...

In all honesty tho, if you show the "down" parts between the action and drama then it either fits to have a s.o.l. tag or the survival one depending on how effed up the characters life is

nemonusquam_

For me, slice-of-life is perfect to add between more intense, action-packed sections of my story. Ideal for the characters--and reader--to catch a break, process what they've been through, explore your worldbuilding, strengthen character dynamics, and so on.

Sylver

The first act of my story is a slice of life, it introduces the daily life of the MC's while developing their characters. The story slowly shifts in tone over time, challenging these characters when they're put in hard situations, setting them up for Act 2.

It's great for character development!

Plus one MC is a cat girl suffering from memory loss, so it's a great premise for the other MC to teach her normal day to day things in their lives while running into trouble. But slowly, trouble starts coming after them.