I am going to a party

doravg

137/4001 (finally counted the stories)
So, our instructor is going back to Switzerland, and we want to send him off. I don't like going to parties, but he believed in me, and I wanted to tell him a proper farewell.

The question is: How does an introvert fit in during such gatherings? I honestly get the jitters when I have to do small talk (which, when one things I earn my paychecks with 80% small talk, is hard to believe, but the thing is, I can't see the faces of the customers. I will see the faces of my colleagues, and if I say something embarrassing, there is the small thing about them seeing me the next day at work, and then judging the stuffings out of me.)

Any tips?

MrPopocap

Jerynboe

Find a person you like and have a one on one conversation with them if you can. Listen to the music and just vibe. Eat. Be polite. Make sure to talk to the guy you are here for briefly so that if you get overwhelmed you can leave without being particularly rude

MatchaChocolate69

Edible Bittersweet Edgelord, Rebel against Entropy
Let others talk and show interest in what they say. Sincerely compliment them. Find common ground to discuss. If you're not a teetotaler, a bit of alcohol can help you relax and overcome any awkwardness.

doravg

Let others talk and show interest in what they say. Sincerely compliment them. Find common ground to discuss. If you're not a teetotaler, a bit of alcohol can help you relax and overcome any awkwardness.
I don't drink, but you know, people seem to think they can tell me their darkest secrets, so I can listen if someone approaches me.

Find a person you like and have a one on one conversation with them if you can. Listen to the music and just vibe. Eat. Be polite. Make sure to talk to the guy you are here for briefly so that if you get overwhelmed you can leave without being particularly rude
Yeah, I already told him I will be there for an hour, or a bit less. We do have work the next day. A good handshake and a "Have a nice trip" is going to be enough, right? I honestly don't know what I should tell him. I respect him, but I am just an awkward introvert XD.

doravg

View attachment 29944

My irl reaction to any gathering event in public
Mine too, but needs must. Chances are, I will never see him again, and if it wasn't for him, I would not be able to do my job now.

I will make sure I go in social isolation at my earliest convenience XD

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
do what I always do - take a seat next to the bookshelf and pick one. Fuckin hate parties. WTF is anyone meant to do at a party FFS. Like wear a stupid paper hat and play pass the parcel?? Fuck parties. (not to be confused with fuck parties.)

doravg

do what I always do - take a seat next to the bookshelf and pick one. Fuckin hate parties. WTF is anyone meant to do at a party FFS. Like wear a stupid paper hat and play pass the parcel?? Fuck parties. (not to be confused with fuck parties.)
It was in a restaurant, and there were no bookshelves. When I got back, I felt awful, but at least I showed up.

But today I feel better.

How are you?