Looking for Reference materials about Chinese Underworld

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
I want to read more about the underworld in Chinese myth and in myth of Chinese-influenced cultures (like Japan and Korea, etc.)

Where can I find them in English?

I read wikipedia but they feels lacking in details so I want more materials.

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
Underworld you mean as in the Mafia?
Or do you mean the world of the dead?

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
I want to read more about the underworld in Chinese myth and in myth of Chinese-influenced cultures (like Japan and Korea, etc.)

Don't know if you find what you looking for, but here some from chatgpt, the content of the text can be found in many chinese novel revolving around the king yama or the ten courts.

The underworld in chinese mythology is commonly known as the "Yellow Springs" or "Diyu."

Here are some key aspects of the Chinese underworld:

Diyu: Diyu is often depicted as an extensive and hierarchical underworld comprising multiple levels or courts, each ruled by a specific deity or judge. Souls are believed to pass through these realms based on their deeds in life.

Judgment and Punishment: Upon death, it's believed that the soul is judged by various underworld deities based on their actions in life. Punishments and rewards are assigned accordingly.

The Ten Courts: Diyu is sometimes described as having ten courts, each presided over by a specific judge or deity. These courts determine the fate of the deceased, assigning punishments or rewards based on their past actions.

Soul's Journey: The soul's journey through the underworld often involves crossing bridges, enduring trials, and facing judgments that determine its final destination.

Yama, the King of Hell: Yama, also known as Yanluo Wang, is a prominent figure in Chinese mythology who rules over the underworld and presides over the judgments of the dead.

Punishments and Rewards: The underworld is believed to have various punishments for wrongdoings and rewards for virtuous behavior. These can include torture, reincarnation, or admission to realms of peace and bliss.

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
Afterlife.

Chinese afterlife is a great topic, and one which you can approach from several angles. I can not hope to tell you where you can find such thing, for you have to first understand how the Chinese view the idea of death, which is very different from the Western one.

Foremost, you would require to choose a religious point of view: which one of the religions would you approach from?
In China, along the ages, the thinking of the people has been dominated by at least the following: Confucianism, Buddhism and Taoism. Also, realize that China is a HUGE country.
Although people might argue that Buddhism and Confucianism might not be religions, since they do not really have a God, they were used the same way religions were used, in explaining the way the world happened in a time when science was not a thing. They also provided for aspects of spiritual relief, moral compass and everything else you will find in religions.
Secondly, which time period are you going to talk about? Because the afterlife of the Chinese people of today is very different from the afterlife of the people of 100 years ago, from those of 200, and so on. In fact, depending on which region you are talking about, and the time period, they were under the influence of different thoughts. Since they were under the influence of a different religion.
And even inside the same religion, you will see that these have very different view of what is possible in the afterlife. What one should do, shouldn't. To the point that what might have been allowed in a region, in another not so far away from there would be seen as sacrilege and mean that your afterlife would not be an easy one. An example is the direction of which bodies were allowed to be buried facing...

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

Read Chinese manhuas