Love Triangles can be annoying and I squashed that idea.

CrimsonGenius

Riding the Thunder
Not a love triangle, but most a will they, won’t they. My MC’s love interest would get a boyfriend later and after a while the MC would realize his feelings. But I ditched the idea for two reasons. One, I think people would think it is NTR or she would be a slut or something. I didn’t want that from people who can’t grasp people go out with other people. Two. A big waste of time and investment. She would have broken up with the other guy eventually because the extra cheated on her or tried to use force or something. Never going to put it in. Just two people growing their friendship and eventually intimate

Last edited:

Haku45

Not a love triangle, but most a will they, won’t they. My MC’s love interest would get a boyfriend later and after a while the MC would realize his feelings. But I ditched the idea for two reasons. One I think people would it would be NTR or she would be a slut or something. I didn’t want that from people who can’t grasp people go out with other people. Two. A big waste of time and investment in that. She would have broken up with the other guy eventually because the extra cheated on her or tried force or something. Never going to put it in. Just two people growing their friendship and eventually intimate
For me. Just make poly relationship.

Y2N1

That kind of situation definitely will spark some unnecessary drama, I do find love triangle entertaining especially on how the characters act upon the situation.

But of course, smooth sailing relationship without someone else barging in is definitely more likeable.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Love triangles can be good or bad. Can a person have feelings for two people? Will those two people decide if they can share? Or will it be a mono relationship when the girl realizes she loves the MC? Making the second ML evil isn't the only way to go. You can do that, but it sounds like you were gearing him to be mean either way.

People's hearts change, and they can see something is better for them. Why not go for it? Maybe the second ML isn't what she expected him to be, while MC is. Or perhaps she grew away from that relationship and started hanging out with MC more, making their relationship blossom as it happens so much.

But you can also burn the bridges and make the second ML a trash existence that should've been aborted. Either way, love triangles can be fun as equally annoying to read when the person involved is an indecisive poop.

Anemic_Vampire

🌻Currently Hibernating🌹
Maybe the second ML isn't what she expected him to be, while MC is.
I mostly agree with this statement, and that's about it for the characters. However, what matters the most is what you truly want to write as the author, or that's what I think some motivational speaker would say.

CrimsonGenius

Riding the Thunder
Love triangles can be good or bad. Can a person have feelings for two people? Will those two people decide if they can share? Or will it be a mono relationship when the girl realizes she loves the MC? Making the second ML evil isn't the only way to go. You can do that, but it sounds like you were gearing him to be mean either way.

People's hearts change, and they can see something is better for them. Why not go for it? Maybe the second ML isn't what she expected him to be, while MC is. Or perhaps she grew away from that relationship and started hanging out with MC more, making their relationship blossom as it happens so much.

But you can also burn the bridges and make the second ML a trash existence that should've been aborted. Either way, love triangles can be fun as equally annoying to read when the person involved is an indecisive poop.
There will be some who will flirt with them, but will never get anywhere because both the mc and the love interest have been burnt before. They just want to relax, spend time with friends, fight monsters, go on adeventures, etc. Ya know, normal stuff.

Last edited:

prognastat

It depends a lot on what kind of story you're writing. They're common in romance stories because its an easy way to generate both conflict and intrigue. Same goes in general when there are multiple competing love interests, but the more you add the harder it becomes to flesh them all out so there are diminishing returns except for the appeal of having a harem.

You get both the will they won't they dynamic of wondering who the lead is going to end up with and the conflict of the love interests competing and causing problems for the other and the lead.

If your story isn't just romance and has lots of other elements to provide the same level of conflict and intrigue etc then there is no real need to include it if you don't want to, but there's a reason it's a popular trope. It works and is relatively easy