Recommendations mc aims for the greater good

TotallyHuman

I'm kind of sick of all these mc's going "I'm going to do X for the sake of those I love and care about/myself" maybe I'm just unlucky with the novels I chose
They all seem so pathetic and annoying after a while. It's pitiful to read about a character that usually has means of a demigod and the mindset of a poorly educated middle-schooler.
So I want to try and read a novel with mc acting for the sake of something greater than themselves, something noble.
But the novels that have these kinds of mc's end up with them acting like righteous pricks with a holier-than-thou attitude (even if it doesn't show explicitly), or being chosen ones (and fuck do I hate the chosen one trope)

So... can we have a novel where mc seeks to find something greater than themselves - or even, just something more than they already have in life, and in the process of seeking grow as a person?
A novel where characters may take some things for granted, but not the plot, that forces them to evaluate and reevaluate such assumptions?

That something greater doesn't have to be philanthropic in nature, I'll take an environmental radicalist, a mad scientist who wants to unleash true AI, a demon worshipper, even a corporate boss who actually believes he's doing good - anyone who seeks for something greater than themselves. As long as their motivations make logical sense.
my requirements
-no chosen ones.
-op mc
-no moral ideas are automatically agreed upon by plot. The mc can be a righteous prick, but they have to earn the right to carry that holier-than-thou swagger by going through much growth.
I know I'm asking for a lot, but if you have these recommendationa, it'd be swell.

melchi

What is a custom title?
Every time I hear about the chosen one it reminds me of bard's tale.

Theirl

SHHS detainee no. 0004
I'm kind of sick of all these mc's going "I'm going to do X for the sake of those I love and care about/myself" maybe I'm just unlucky with the novels I chose
They all seem so pathetic and annoying after a while. It's pitiful to read about a character that usually has means of a demigod and the mindset of a poorly educated middle-schooler.
So I want to try and read a novel with mc acting for the sake of something greater than themselves, something noble.
But the novels that have these kinds of mc's end up with them acting like righteous pricks with a holier-than-thou attitude (even if it doesn't show explicitly), or being chosen ones (and fuck do I hate the chosen one trope)

So... can we have a novel where mc seeks to find something greater than themselves - or even, just something more than they already have in life, and in the process of seeking grow as a person?
A novel where characters may take some things for granted, but not the plot, that forces them to evaluate and reevaluate such assumptions?

That something greater doesn't have to be philanthropic in nature, I'll take an environmental radicalist, a mad scientist who wants to unleash true AI, a demon worshipper, even a corporate boss who actually believes he's doing good - anyone who seeks for something greater than themselves. As long as their motivations make logical sense.
my requirements
-no chosen ones.
-op mc
-no moral ideas are automatically agreed upon by plot. The mc can be a righteous prick, but they have to earn the right to carry that holier-than-thou swagger by going through much growth.
I know I'm asking for a lot, but if you have these recommendationa, it'd be swell.
fate/zero thats pratically kiritsugu

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Hara-Kiri Nonfeasance

MC starts out asshole. He has the motivation of save his family. He becomes the good guy, doing good deeds and helping everyone, including his enemies when he can. He finally realizes he's Being the Good Guy For Selfish Reasons. Sets out to prove to himself he can be un-selfish. Finally come to the conclusion that this isn't just about him and trying to save his family/fix his past mistakes, but something greater and learns to let go in chapter 98. And unfortunately I've left off at chapter 99, I still am working on act 3. Should be done in a few months.

So if your goal is to read about the guy who IS 100% true blue out to do what is right, because it's right, and is humble about it, well, this is the story about how he BECOMES that way.

Truth told, this has always been the prequel to the real story I want to write, but I hate prequels, so I'm writing the origin first.

Parade

I would also like something similar I used to find something interesting every time I get on SH now my days are full of boredom and work. I’m not a writer but I think a cool story could be about how the main protagonist goes cryptic trying to find a goal in his life and he keeps asking others what goals he should have but the other Perron gives self proclaimed views and it gets progressively worse until he decides “why can’t I become the goal others look to? Why don’t I make people see me as a goal to reach, why can’t I be the top that people reach for no mater how they do it?” Something along those lines his background isn’t humble or rich just in the perfect middle he had hardships and gained and kissed at the same time seeing both heaven and hell. What do you think??

Tsuru

@TrashyHuman @melchi @Theirl @TheEldritchGod

90% sure if you already know but :

Mushoku Tensei (wn)
the ancestor series that ignited the "isekai" trend despite not being the first

MC just wanted to peacefully live his isekai life. He isnt a hero. He isn't the number1 and never will until the end. He didnt kill any final boss. He got 0 cheat. But his actions will forever be a pivotal corner to saving the world, even after the end.
Spoiler : Its just MC living his peaceful married life, never doubted that "Kami" would backstab him in the worse possible moment, causing domino-style repercussions that made his whole life turn into a nightmare. The kind that a person would wish to suicide a hundred times everyday. So nightmarish that MC's future self sole reason of living.....is just to kill "him" after losing all 3 waifus. Only to mindbreak despair at old age, bc after traveled the whole continent for ruins despite chased by whole religion, did the discovering that it's impossible to get revenge bc he can't access "his" plane of existence. And so invented "time travel not perfected". And time-travel to current MC in the middle-arc with a dying wound, and succeed to change the course of the predestined destiny. Rest in peace.
This plot is the twist that nail the series in the rankings of "unforgettable masterpieces in history" of jpWNs.
+Despite never succeeding until the novel's end to kill "Kami", MC invented lot of stuff, saved ton of important people, made the life of people more easier, a shitty empire full of depraved people elected a kind empress, and finally most importantly......nurtured the future generation that will be the one to finally kill "him" long after outside the ending.
-----------------------------------
This series is also the reason other JP-authors will never did another series where MC isn't the hero, etc
because people will easily compare it to Mushoku. Its biggest flaw when a too-good masterpiece appear.
Same reason no one will do another "shounen ninja" manga, or a MC havin
g a item that can instant-kill in normal modern life.
------------------------------------
PS : Now current jp-KR-CN series are like TIKTOKs or current-AAA-70$scam-games. Badass fast food eyeball-plot to attract the billions of teens out there for money. And bc they get easy money with fantia/faloo/patreon (seen one chinese author once thanked of getting 300yuan lucky reward= 41$, at simply ch5+) unlike years ago where you just wrote "for fun" where all drawings/WNs were "free to watch" and piracy rampant.
PS PS : English WNs are probably the most pitiful nationality authors. And me i am pitiful that i am not living in JP so i could become a "editor" and sucking at learning JP language.
PS PS PS : Forever number 1 series in history about "harem" genre. And most perfect example for theory of : Small>Big harem.
@Parade

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
Reminds me of something else I saw recently, might be paraphrasing a bit but, "A Hero is someone who will sacrifice one person to save the world, and a Villain is someone who would sacrifice the world to save one person." Which, neither statement is exactly absolute, but sure.

Tsuru

Reminds me of something else I saw recently, might be paraphrasing a bit but, "A Hero is someone who will sacrifice one person to save the world, and a Villain is someone who would sacrifice the world to save one person." Which, neither statement is exactly absolute, but sure.
Anti-hero is someone that can do both.

Because they see the world in grey. And not black and white.
Which is the ultimate truth about life.

Edit : And often they are ex-heroes that are desillusioned by the truth. Or simply a kind person that suffered a lot by shitty reality that allowed to see that life is grey but very close to dark. Because like the chinese meme said : [9 events on 10 are unsatisfactory]. With upgraded recent version : [9 events on 10 are unsatisfactory and last one is even worse]

Last edited:

Mandark

A morally good MC despite not being a Gary Stu. There’s a small amount of parenting/adoption despite it mostly being an adventure fanfic.

there’s more action in it as you go along, the first 50 chapters or so are before the MC turns 18…

Gibbs505

I believe that my Character, the Dark Lord would fill your requirements!
They are also posted on RR.
I attach my notes on the DL for your interest
The Dark Lord:

Notes on Origins, background:

Name: Tom Wright

DOB: August 24th 1946.

Sign, irrelevant but Virgo.

Parents are deceased but he was raised in a typical post war environment in a member country of the British Commonwealth. Father had served in the army and his post war stories had a profound effect on him while growing up. His mother was a stay at home mum until he left home to work.

Had one sister whom married young and moved away. She died young from cancer which was a shock to the whole family, there were no children. Her husband later remarried and moved away.

Of medium height he is somewhat plain but his blue eyes and rather thin pale lips give an indication of his strength of character. Many have overlooked him, sometimes to their cost. He finds the opposite sex very attractive and enjoys sexual relationships with them. Personally he found fit, attractive and intelligent women most compatible. The more intelligent, the better. A player of rugby, he was moderately successful for his club but did not have the desire to go further. A person of his time he is uncomfortable with homosexuality but is tolerant provided they are not aggressive in his face. He had several relationships with women before marrying and raising a family. After marriage he was completely faithful.

Married just once after moving to Canada, together they raised four children. Wife passed away following a sudden illness less than three years before the lights. This has given him much grief which has been compounded by his daughters pressing him to move into a retirement home and give up his family home which is on small acreage. He has resisted this fiercely so far. He values his independence and is still in good health.

His best friend, with whom he had been with on hunting and fishing trips also passed away after a long illness. This was quite recent and has left him bereft of friendships and close social connections at this time other than his club activities. Actually, rather than hunting, he prefers the shooting sports and was very good at it.

Two of the children had moved away. One to another country, the other two live in close by towns. Has several grandchildren. He sees the closest on occasion. Loves his family and dotes on the grandkids.

Has several friends with whom he sees occasionally. Member of a hunting and fishing sporting club and still physically active. Also member of a writing club with whom he has stimulating conversations. He is an active writer and has written several novels, some of which were published with minor success.

Politically active to the extent he follows issues and writes to his MP, MLA and others but is not a member of any political party or activist group as he likes to maintain his independence.

A Christian, raised as a member of the Catholic Church, this had a profound impact on his thinking and values. Disgusted by the scandals he was also aware of the actions of the many good men and women he had worked with and been guided under. This had also influenced his thinking, values and prejudices even before the attacks on the church by many who knew better and had their own axes to grind and scandals to hide.

An immigrant to Canada in the 1970’s he had a reasonably successful career in business and was also self-employed in a successful machine business in the oil patch. Realising that environmental concerns could affect him, he sold his business at a profit and retired in his late fifties. Widely read, he also had some post school education in several disciplines. Was socially progressive as well as conservative on financial, foreign policy, law and military issues. Radical environmentalists’ he considered were narrow-minded and unstable.

As an immigrant himself, he is unhappy with those who illegally cross the border and try to claim refugee status. He believes that the rules must be followed and those who attempt to circumvent the rules should be sent back to where they originally came from. He also believes that there should be no unnecessary delays for qualified immigrants.

A diligent worker, he takes the time to think things through and this can take time, but once his mind is made up, it is very difficult to get him to change his mind. He can be stubborn and even unreasonable. Lying underneath this is an active, restless mind which drives his writings.

Retired and a widower living in northern Canada, he is now in his seventies and at first did not fully appreciate what happened when he saw and absorbed the lights while sitting in his hot tub.

A realist, in a few days he saw both the advantages and the pitfalls of his new powers and appreciated what others could do to create a situation which would be very bad. Keeping silent about the lights, he took some time to assimilate the changes which had begun immediately. On becoming aware of what the lights actually meant, he took decisive action to delay the day of reckoning. Reinforced by his background and upbringing, he quickly realised what the governments and others would do to get their hands on the powers he now possessed and this realisation also guided his actions.

He then began to contact others who had adsorbed the lights, and quite consciously began the process of gathering them together. Taking over the committee that some had formed. He realised what this would mean but did not fully appreciate at first what the ultimate outcome would be, that would come later.

Avoiding exposure is his greatest problem at the beginning, he knew that other problems would come and soon. The empire was not even a thought at this time.

Notes on later behavior.

Appendix G

The Dark Lord

Supreme lord and absolute monarch of the Empire.​

Apparently of humanoid origin, he is considered unremarkable in appearance except that he invariably wears only black, most often a hooded cloak. Only wears other clothes if he wants to go incognito.

Home planet is unknown. Scanners cannot work on him. Appearance is of thirty to forty years of age but he is known to have been in existence for a long time with many appearances over millions of years.

Can move apparently by thought over vast distances, however also uses starships when he wishes or when it seems appropriate.

Can fly into rages and has exhibited extreme homicidal behaviour that has sent even the Ladies running from him. On occasion carries a sword which is black in colour. This sword can cut and kill anything it touches. As well, it cannot be touched by anyone else as it will kill them. Has used no other weapons except his mind. When in a rage has slaughtered millions of all kinds of beings and has destroyed whole planets, yet has released others without penalty once they have acknowledged him as their overlord.

Is also capable of surprising acts of kindness and generosity and benevolence. If you acknowledge him as your leader, overlord, or ruler, will usually leave you alone to rule yourself, within the confines of the empire. Will generally allow local customs to prevail, so long as there is acceptance of and no major conflict with, the empire and its laws.

Resides for the most part on the planet Tantalus which is considered the ruling world of the Empire. Location of this world is unknown.

Is invulnerable to all know weapons. Has displayed awesome powers of the mind including being able to know whatever any other entity thinks, knows or has experienced. Can move, destroy or change anything he puts his mind to. His skills appear unlimited.

Disappears on an irregular basis from time to time. Sometimes for several thousand years. Limits his contacts with other entities or any kind of intimate contact with others, so far as is known. However since when he wishes he can appear quite ordinary, from time to time he disguises himself and mingles with other peoples. It is not known when interactions of this kind happen unless he reveals himself. When this happens it causes consternation as it is so unexpected.

Last edited:

bulmabriefs144

You're running into an inherent problem in your desires, the objectivist hero (see Ayn Rand's thoughts on altruism)
versus the altruistic hero.

The problem with altruistic heroes (aside from what Ayn Rand mentioned) is they need flaws, and the most ready one is they tend be self-important hypocrites, or they are obsessed with being perfect and never showing weakness. Or their altruism is the weakness, and they help people even at the expense of downfall of everything important (in my second book, I had the main character surrender to demons, almost destroying the Earth). I have a weird sense of endings.

Your best option is either Christian heroes (from someone who actually understands which Christianity was about, like me)
or Taoist heroes. Both of these archetypes reject the sort of pompous hypocrisy that you see from virtue signal types.

Bottom line, they adhere to a higher set of values, but those don't require moral perfectionism (either because of grace, or because the balance of yin-yang).

A Druid or something might also work. I liked Allanon and his sorta "I'm gonna try to get the heroes to do my quest, but I'm going to omit some serious details, and that's okay because you need to work this out yourself."

Novel_Fam

my requirements
-no chosen ones.
-op mc
The only thing I can think of is an anime called “Demon Slayer” and it also has a manga…

And “Everyone is a returnee but me,” a manhwa and a novel!

Though not sure your going to enjoy it but one thing for sure he is very wholesome!

I will be also camping here since I’m getting tired of those too ^^

(Edited)
I just went through my list of history and "I returned as a hero" is a good one as well!!

Last edited:

mitkopom

Not mikoporn or mitpopcorn!
what about an MC who starts at the beginning pathetically weak and only goal is to save his/her family from the predicted Earth appocalipse, but later during a lot of efforts and a little bit of cheating skillset gets strong enough. She then evaluates her newly growing powers and decides she will join the kingdom's efforts- to fight off demon's menace? (and eventually helps saving 13 billion people on earth and terra )

TotallyHuman

what about an MC who starts at the beginning pathetically weak and only goal is to save his/her family from the predicted Earth appocalipse, but later during a lot of efforts and a little bit of cheating skillset gets strong enough to evaluate her growing powers and decides she can join the kingdom's efforts- to fight off demon's menace? (and eventually helps saving 13 billion people on earth and terra )
y not. As long as it fits the requirements anything goes

sanitylimited

the death mage who doesn't want a forth time

though the protagonist is the chosen one, and only 12 out of 19 or so volumes have been translated into english.