Mystery was written off as bad writing.

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
So, just curious, if an author introduces a few small pieces of a mystery before informing you that there was a mystery, would you consider that bad writing? All of my favorite stories do that, though those are Traditional novels, not web novels, like on here. I've noticed a distinct lack of that style of writing amongst webnovels, though it's not completely absent.

Had a reader complain about a supposedly strong character getting killed by trash mobs (goblins). which I get. that would feel like robbery. but thus far i've dropped a handful of hints towards a larger issue that hasn't yet been addressed, primarily because the characters themselves don't know about it. and being that the characters would have no way to discuss or think about it, why would the narrator bring it up? it's not relevant to what's happening RIGHT NOW, "on screen", so to speak.

edit: Mostly asking if I did something wrong here. It doesn't really feel like I did, but the consensus seems to be that I did.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
So, just curious, if an author introduces a few small pieces of a mystery before informing you that there was a mystery, would you consider that bad writing? All of my favorite stories do that, though those are Traditional novels, not web novels, like on here. I've noticed a distinct lack of that style of writing amongst webnovels, though it's not completely absent.

Had a reader complain about a supposedly strong character getting killed by trash mobs (goblins). which I get. that would feel like robbery. but thus far i've dropped a handful of hints towards a larger issue that hasn't yet been addressed, primarily because the characters themselves don't know about it. and being that the characters would have no way to discuss or think about it, why would the narrator bring it up? it's not relevant to what's happening RIGHT NOW, "on screen", so to speak.

edit: Mostly asking if I did something wrong here. It doesn't really feel like I did, but the consensus seems to be that I did.
The issue is the WN format. They can't binge past the mystery. So, it is frustrating for some to be in the dark. Don't think you did anything wrong. Just keep writing!

John_Owl

The issue is the WN format. They can't binge past the mystery. So, it is frustrating for some to be in the dark. Don't think you did anything wrong. Just keep writing!

that's the plan. I've dropped a few subtle hints here and there. the chapter in question was 17, and the "big" hint that chapter won't be coming back into play until 22, when the characters return to that area of the kingdom.

But I can see where you're coming from. I'm used to writing in a traditional novel format, so that's usually how I write. But I can see there being a few small issues with using that same format in Webnovel format. The issue here is I fail to see how to accomplish both tasks: Keeping a mystery, but at the same time, not upsetting anyone who isn't aware of a mystery yet.

No, it isn't bad writing. Putting the crucial elements there in advance, letting the audience think they are irrelevant, is subversion of expecations, which can be good if well executed
The issue with that is being one's own critic. I feel it was good. a few off hand comments here or there that seemingly mean nothing that the readers just glaze over as "huh, that's weird..." and forget just as quick. But if people think it's just random irrelevant nonsense littering my story and end up dropping it, they won't get to the primary fact all that was pointing towards.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
The issue with that is being one's own critic. I feel it was good. a few off hand comments here or there that seemingly mean nothing that the readers just glaze over as "huh, that's weird..." and forget just as quick. But if people think it's just random irrelevant nonsense littering my story and end up dropping it, they won't get to the primary fact all that was pointing towards.
Stories take time to culminate. As long as the elements are inserted in a way to not damage pacing or be unnatural, it should be fine

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…

Mysteries are nice

BlackKnightX

From my experience, most readers don't care. As a reader myself, whenever I see some inconsistency or a potential plot hole, the first thing that comes to mind is that it's a mystery. If something doesn't seem right, I would expect to find the answer if I keep on reading. Some readers might call it out, though. But if you already dropped hints, I think it's considered playing fair.

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
There is mystery and there is bad writing. The first one requires building up hints, telling your readers that things make sense even though right now they might not know why. Bad writing, instead, is the opposite. Even though you have dropped out several hints throughout your story, none of them can be linked coherently enough to form pictures. You might even have forgotten to tell your readers to expect anything at all!

Mystery does not have to be tagged as such in this bird opinion, because it is built up through subtle hints the author leave on their writing, but if hinted by the usage of tags, it makes for a better scenic journey. If, however, your reader does not understand these hints and tells you it's due to bad writing they have left you, the best this bird could tell you without reading your story is this: were your hints "clear" enough through your writing?

Also, from this chick's understanding, some people have lower tolerance to shadowing than others and might not have been able to go through the whole of your story to come to the realization that they so much wanted to know because people ARE IMPATIENT AFTER ALL. They require their spoilers! But that is not your fault. You should write at your own pace, not at their pace.

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff

My readers have, on multiple occasions, picked up on hints for future events that wouldn't occur for many many chapters, and seemed to enjoy it. The way it needs to be done though is such that it gives the reader an aha moment. Basically, if your character died to goblins in a situation that wouldn't normally make sense, you need to be sure there are some hints that some kind of shenanigans are the reason it happened, or else you need resolution soon as to why, or you need to demarcate volumes.

In a traditional novel, the author would have between 50,000 and 150,000 words to reach this conclusion (I myself actually demarcate each of my volumes of my story, to give the reader a sense of story arcs and expectations). An example for your story would potentially be that this loss to goblins would occur within either the first one or two chapters of a volume or the last chapter of the volume, indicating that this is a turning point in the story. Just my two cents on the matter.

1709876418427.png

Where are you currently in your current section of your plot. You can introduce an event this jarring in a few places. Exposition (where people don't have established understanding of characters), conflict (this hint is one of the inciting actions to the plot), Just before Climax (very soon, everything becomes clear to the reader), Resolution (as long as you plan on having another plot after this. In these cases Exposition and Resolution merge together as you cycle on to the next plot in a webnovel).

Last edited:

Jemini

IMO, the only difference between "traditional format" writing and "webnovel" writing is that webnovels tend to have shorter chapters, usually consisting of one or occasionally two major event(s) or idea(s) being addressed per chapter, and they have a tendency to be extreme long-form and more often than not are not arranged with standard book length in mind.

That said, it's not that you shouldn't be dropping hints in a mystery style. Rather, you need to consider whether or not you're doing it well. In terms of the guy dying to goblins, maybe have someone in the story discussing how strange it is that this experienced person died to goblins. If there's something THAT off about the situation, you actually need to bring it up in-story before the readers ever have time to complain about it. If you get out ahead of the reader complaints like that, that tells the reader that you as the writer know it doesn't add up. And so, they as the reader will take that as a hint. If you know it doesn't add up, but you wrote it anyway, that will tell them something's wrong, and it's not your writing.

SurfAngel_1031

I think my first step would to be tag the story as a mystery. That way there's no confusion and people can see that there will be elements that they just won't understand yet. Secondary, the opening sequence should give the reader something to come back and read. It doesn't have to be much, but a solid breadcrumb would do nicely. From there you can build up suspense and the mystery itself.

Ellen_Dunkel

How subtle you can be largely depends on how much trust readers have in your writing skills (on the internet that's not very much)

In this case I would make it either very obvious that the goblins did something they shouldn't have been able to do, or the adventurer tried to do something they normally would have been able to do

Unless there's a reason not to reveal the existence of the mystery yet, this seems like the obvious place to reveal it

John_Owl

How subtle you can be largely depends on how much trust readers have in your writing skills (on the internet that's not very much)

In this case I would make it either very obvious that the goblins did something they shouldn't have been able to do, or the adventurer tried to do something they normally would have been able to do

Unless there's a reason not to reveal the existence of the mystery yet, this seems like the obvious place to reveal it
the issue chapter was 17. I'm planning the reveal to be split between 22 and 23. basically, 22 will bring up that the character died and touch on why, and 23 will go more into depth on why. this is primarily because I'm actually about 3-4 chapters ahead at any given time.

Sylver

A good mystery can be fun to read and even more fun to write, just be sure to give a heads up so that your readers can anticipate or expect it. Like, maybe add a mystery tag to your novel.

Oh and a bit of advice, if your readers start to predict where the mystery will lead, don't change course. It feels more rewarding for a reader when they pay attention and figure out the outcome before the reveal occurs. I know one writer who tried to change up their mystery when his readers started to figure it out, and it left all parties dissatisfied with the conclusion.

So don't try to compete with your audience. Embrace them and let them have their joy if they guess if before you get there. Heck, I would take it as a compliment because it means that they're invested :blobthumbsup:

John_Owl

well, the mystery isn't really intended to be the primary purpose of the novel. It's just a little flavor added in, mostly because I plan for the readers to discover things AS the characters themselves do.

so for now, the readers know that (character that was amped to be strong) was killed by (trash, bottom-tier monster). because that's what's known to the characters IN the story. as the characters find out more, (such as the evil gods having a hand in it, or even teaching the monsters directly), then the readers will know as well. So maybe less "mystery" and more "unknown factors".

and for your advice, I'm usually 3-4 chapters ahead of what's public here on SH, so my readers guessing ahead of time is rarely an issue, as most of that's already been decided and written and posted behind a temporary paywall anyhow.

FebyA

I think it can keep the reader intrigued, but I'm not sure whether the big reveal would make me feel that catharsis/aha moment. Since it would probably be days after I read the last few chapters.

It's easy to get distracted reading on phone/PC with other stuff, so even if you have all the chapters published, web novel readers might not read your story in one sitting.