Options for fonts?

Marscaleb

Hello, I'm new here; I decided to try sharing a story I've been working on.
But right away I'm having formatting problems with the chapter, specifically with regards to fonts.
It's been a common thing for books to use a secondary typeface for text that is printed in-world; I've seen this in printed books that have been around longer than I have. And I've seen options to change fonts on other sites for sharing stories that just operate as forums. Quite honestly, I expected that this site, one dedicated people sharing stories, would also have such a feature.

But I can't seem to find that option when I'm editing my chapter.
I thought at first that the site was using my selected fonts, because when I pasted my chapter into the editor I could see the specific fonts I had selected. But when I actually checked it after pushing the publish button, I found A LOT of my formatting had been removed, even though it was displayed earlier.

Even this forum lets me change the font family, but I'm not seeing that option when editing my chapter.
I have sections in my story that are presented as journal entries, and I need to distinguish this text from the conventional prose. I have been doing this by using a different font, which visibly shows that this is written text, not novel text.
Are there additional formatting options that are just not immediately viewable? Like can I select formatting/CSS options for a series to use, like with AO3? Or is this an option that is just locked out for new users? Or did I just somehow miss the text formatting tool?
How do I change fonts in a story?

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
It would be cool to change fonts. I can think of a few ways i would use it. (Mostly character dialogues).
But sadly i don't think its an option here.
You can change text color, though.

Marscaleb

there would definitely be a user writing in wingdings if fonts could be changed
Jokes aside, the fonts would have to be pre-selected. It's just how fonts are on a website; behind the scenes sites set up a series of fonts to fall back on in case the user doesn't have a given font. People have different fonts depending on if they are on windows, mac, mobile phones, or who know what. Setting up fully-custom fonts would be a huge issue for the site.
It would be more reasonable to just allow some limited custom CSS, like can be done on AO3. That is actually a very powerful tool; I had used it once to share a story that was written as a screenplay, and I used custom CSS and tags to have it displayed in the correct format. If it was available here, I'd set up a style that would display stories in a traditional print format.

Well I guess if there is no existing option for it, then I will just have to submit a feature request. I don't know what that's like around here, but if it's like 99.98% of sites out there, that means it won't ever happen.