Per-chapter daily view breakdown.

Jemini

Just like the daily views seen on the story overall, it would be incredibly useful from an author's perspective if every individual chapter had a statistics page, the most important item on those statistics being how many views that individual chapter got over a period of time.

This statistic would be useful because it would help an author be more able to see things like how many new viewers they were getting. That's a very useful number to be able to derive from data.

This statistic would be even more useful if it was broken down by readers, non-readers on registered accounts, and IPs without an account.

Ninetailed_Furball

I agree! More analytics!

That said, I worry that this would be a lot of work to implement (For both Tony and the server), as I think the current system just increments the number as the chapters are accessed. To make it work, new views need to be logged as individual database entries with timestamps or each day of each chapter needs it's own view number. That said, for the latter, if you use a different time zone from the server, then the numbers'll be messed up.

I want more data I can eat into, but at the same time I don't want it at the expense of even more important features.

Jemini

I agree! More analytics!

That said, I worry that this would be a lot of work to implement (For both Tony and the server), as I think the current system just increments the number as the chapters are accessed. To make it work, new views need to be logged as individual database entries with timestamps or each day of each chapter needs it's own view number. That said, for the latter, if you use a different time zone from the server, then the numbers'll be messed up.

I want more data I can eat into, but at the same time I don't want it at the expense of even more important features.

Implementation issues I can see, don't think it will weigh on the server's processing power because it will only be tracking something that's tracked already. The only possible issue could be memory, for which the consumption will be increased by a factor of X4, but numerical data is not a huge memory sink.

As for the time zone issues, if you are the type to care about the analytics then you have LONG since memorized the server time zone. I've actually taken to posting my chapters 15 minutes after midnight at the server time zone in order to have them up as soon as possible for the viewers within my schedule (I have my releases on a weekly schedule that specifies exact days of release.) It's really not all that hard to figure out.