Recommendations Powerful MC with Calculative Mind and Large Harem

Beyonder7725

I'm looking for a story with a MC that's powerful or even if not to powerful, at least has a family background or something to support so that he can plan everything and stuff and it should have a good harem.

Examples are:

Young Master in the Shadows

Villian: The Play of Destiny

I've also read other stuff that's not available on scribble Hub but I don't know if I should say it here?

Anyway please give me a few recommendations.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Hrmm... well, kinda got the story, except one doesn't have the family, the other doesn't have the harem, and the third doesn't have the power or the harem (just one gf) but does have the family.

Family, power, and harem... oddly enough, hard combo to cone up with.

Tsuru

Robot
My number2 favorite novel of all times (btw i am veteran reader)

"History strongest husband"

Ok the title is cringe and cliche but this rare CHINESE novel is a masterpiece that english readers (NU) somehow didn't pay attention to. Probably bc of the cringe title, the cover in NU that for some reason shouldnt be it, AND a summary and few early chaps being very very boring.

This series occuped TOP10s ranking in raw websites.

Thing is, this old series, was one of the very epic series where MC was ruthless badassly. AND NOT CENSORED BY CCP. MC dare to use all kinds of evil methods to destroy his enemies to keep his family safe.
STDs, bomb, drugging, poison. AND all the men that coveted his wife, had their downthere CUT WITH A KNIFE.

To be honest, its like a down toned "RI" version. Where the only sole reason this MC (unlike RI's mc) doesn't destroy everything is to "have a family".
Everything outside of family/close-ones = he doesnt care, like ants.

And recently it got a manhua adaptation named "Survive as the hero's husband" done by same artist of the xianxia manhua where long hair MC had 9999 body realms.

SADLY, it suffer the same fate as ARIFURETA, which is "I am a old masterpiece that get recent adaptation but the adaptation is fcking trash"
In particular the beginning, that doesn't mention that MC was a handsome rich dude in college disfigured by explosion in lab, or the fact even after paying MILLIONS to a nurse she cracked down and begged him on knees that she can't marry him (too ugly) before ceremony, or that despite saving innumerable number of families and them saying he is their benefactors they never once tried to make their daughter marry him, the peace nobel looking more important, and his death in africa warzone was because he blocked bullets of enemy soldier that aimed at his patient being a kid (manhua just draw a missile attack) in the tent.
All this flashback prologue help modeling and explaining about the "character" of the MC. Why he is so uncaring of others he don't care, why he is craving for a family so badly, why he have no limits for methods, why he seems so knowledgeable about human psychology, and also explain [why he is so pitiful] and inside isn't a bad guy.

Most importantly that pissed me off, is the fact, there is this "pirate queen" FL among the harem having a cameo in prologue chapter of manhua, in novel she basically is a fusion of uncaring-no-feelings human + heroic vibe + Miss Fortune hot body, but in manhua she looks like the trash disney little mermaid live action movie. [Insert meme : Look at how they massacred my boy]

PS : it is probably the only C novel, where mc, ONLY USE HIS BRAIN the whole time with 0 fighting strength. Yes, no fighting himself, just pure planning that kill his enemies, or using soldiers, or objects.
MC (transmigrated) strength, is so weak that he can't even beat a duck. Even once had a scene of a dude throwing one to him to mock him as MC is chased around by it.
But MC's IQ is so high that his plans always foresee 4 steps of the enemy.

PS PS : Main wife is as hot looking as Raikou, even wearing a snakescale-suit and genius at fighting, but youthful and as pretty and kind the girl from Doupo Cangqiong series.
And not a vase and VERY USEFUL. Same for other girls of harem.

PS PS PS : Also very useful series explaining how shit humanity is and explaining psychology. One being "Not caring about looks" in romance is bullshit.
------------------
Edit : Forgot, MC dont have family background BUT after the boring 5few chaps, he marry the true waifu FL1. And the father-in-law and mother-in-law are kind to him and a very decent rank noble, and genius FL1 despite no love, doesn't disdain him like old CNs with a arrogant heroine. Despite not doing the first night, she gave a maid for it. AND she also very harshly punished a close relationship maid in 2nd day when the maid openly showed her disdain for MC.
Btw father-in-law and brother-in-law are fat. Unlike shitty manhua.
PS: The series later on also explain a very cool original idea about "martial qi is op but not omnipotent bc when running out you are deadmeat against an army".
PS PS : MC punched a woman for FL (very rare among old CNs)

Last edited:

Tsuru

Robot
TLDR at end.

For the JP/CH old series, give up finding "calculative" AND "(good) large harem" series.
One adjective is already destroying 99% of all series, but two together ? And "large harem" being a series-killer for 99.9999999% of all series ? So yeah, better to check out english series on scribblehub or royalroad etc.
For korean novels, maybe or maybe not, there wasnt lot accessible 10years ago.
There are some probably old KR series with calculative MCs with harem, but what is weird with korean authors, is that they always make the romance part being ignored most of the time. Ex : "Solo leveling" had FL have appearance, then later 2-3 cameos then forgotten until re-appearing at end for "marriage/family-life".

Among veteran novel readers, "harem" was a big detail that basically foretell the series was bad. Because author(s) rarely could do it right and often failed terribly at it.
especially chinese novels.

The very unique "harem" series that was of high quality that most agreed the harem was well done is : Mushoku Tensei.
But it also proved the point that "smaller harem" is better than "bigger".
Bc "character development", unlike getting 20+, or getting a generic bland harem like "Smartphone in isekai".

The other exception is "Arifureta". But they are kinda "vases/trophies".
Funny fact, the "after-story" 2nd part where MC is back on earth with harem and surviving classmates, made the series have a 2nd phase of popularity and even superior compared to isekai-part.
And in the "after-story", the harem FLs get development.
PS : I was one person that disliked the isekai-part but only began liking the series when i poison-tested the "after-stories".
PSPS : The hidden-face side character ninja guy get a harem in "after-stories" arcs. Despite not wanting one.
-------------
Also among old novels (kr/ch/jp), writing smart MC was hard and unpopular. And fear of not controlling well.
Its like "Onepunch-man". Clearly the idea is not so hard to imagine and probably dozens of authors once thought of this kind of crazy plot where MC is invincible. Its just that "how" later on that makes them not try. Or have a crazy novel like "Invisible dragon" that seems written by a 5years old.
IQ also problematic, because there is this proverb : [The iq of the protagonist will never surpass the iq of the author]
And "growing strong" was mainsteam unlike now where MC get "system/cheat/golden-finger/opness" right from the get go.
And lastly, writing a calculative MC, is problematic like death note. Or mc crush everything with iq (with iq of author) against stupid people, or author is forced to invent as smart enemies against MC so the series dont end fast. Then you need to find reason to "why does MC use his iq against other people?". Writing the world having lot of bad guys so MC can target them = depressive atmosphere the world is evil. Writing the world is good and MC is evil and killing people ? = 10years ago, most readers prefered the good-nature MC (ex: Kirito SAO) and disliked evil MCs while anti-hero MCs (my fav) were even disliked by both camps of good-evil-MCs readers, just like salty-sweet food.

TLDR : Dont try finding among old jp, chinese, korean novels. Because ton of old readers craved for it and never found it. And now 2023 you get factory-quality series for popularity like tiktoks for views. Sole solution is like game-indies, to search among small creators (scribblehub/etc)

Beyonder7725

Hrmm... well, kinda got the story, except one doesn't have the family, the other doesn't have the harem, and the third doesn't have the power or the harem (just one gf) but does have the family.

Family, power, and harem... oddly enough, hard combo to cone up with.
Please suggest anyway, I'll try them and see if I like it.
My number2 favorite novel of all times (btw i am veteran reader)

"History strongest husband"

Ok the title is cringe and cliche but this rare CHINESE novel is a masterpiece that english readers (NU) somehow didn't pay attention to. Probably bc of the cringe title, the cover in NU that for some reason shouldnt be it, AND a summary and few early chaps being very very boring.

This series occuped TOP10s ranking in raw websites.

Thing is, this old series, was one of the very epic series where MC was ruthless badassly. AND NOT CENSORED BY CCP. MC dare to use all kinds of evil methods to destroy his enemies to keep his family safe.
STDs, bomb, drugging, poison. AND all the men that coveted his wife, had their downthere CUT WITH A KNIFE.

To be honest, its like a down toned "RI" version. Where the only sole reason this MC (unlike RI's mc) doesn't destroy everything is to "have a family".
Everything outside of family/close-ones = he doesnt care, like ants.

And recently it got a manhua adaptation named "Survive as the hero's husband" done by same artist of the xianxia manhua where long hair MC had 9999 body realms.

SADLY, it suffer the same fate as ARIFURETA, which is "I am a old masterpiece that get recent adaptation but the adaptation is fcking trash"
In particular the beginning, that doesn't mention that MC was a handsome rich dude in college disfigured by explosion in lab, or the fact even after paying MILLIONS to a nurse she cracked down and begged him on knees that she can't marry him (too ugly) before ceremony, or that despite saving innumerable number of families and them saying he is their benefactors they never once tried to make their daughter marry him, the peace nobel looking more important, and his death in africa warzone was because he blocked bullets of enemy soldier that aimed at his patient being a kid (manhua just draw a missile attack) in the tent.
All this flashback prologue help modeling and explaining about the "character" of the MC. Why he is so uncaring of others he don't care, why he is craving for a family so badly, why he have no limits for methods, why he seems so knowledgeable about human psychology, and also explain [why he is so pitiful] and inside isn't a bad guy.

Most importantly that pissed me off, is the fact, there is this "pirate queen" FL among the harem having a cameo in prologue chapter of manhua, in novel she basically is a fusion of uncaring-no-feelings human + heroic vibe + Miss Fortune hot body, but in manhua she looks like the trash disney little mermaid live action movie. [Insert meme : Look at how they massacred my boy]

PS : it is probably the only C novel, where mc, ONLY USE HIS BRAIN the whole time with 0 fighting strength. Yes, no fighting himself, just pure planning that kill his enemies, or using soldiers, or objects.
MC (transmigrated) strength, is so weak that he can't even beat a duck. Even once had a scene of a dude throwing one to him to mock him as MC is chased around by it.
But MC's IQ is so high that his plans always foresee 4 steps of the enemy.

PS PS : Main wife is as hot looking as Raikou, even wearing a snakescale-suit and genius at fighting, but youthful and as pretty and kind the girl from Doupo Cangqiong series.
And not a vase and VERY USEFUL. Same for other girls of harem.

PS PS PS : Also very useful series explaining how shit humanity is and explaining psychology. One being "Not caring about looks" in romance is bullshit.
------------------
Edit : Forgot, MC dont have family background BUT after the boring 5few chaps, he marry the true waifu FL1. And the father-in-law and mother-in-law are kind to him and a very decent rank noble, and genius FL1 despite no love, doesn't disdain him like old CNs with a arrogant heroine. Despite not doing the first night, she gave a maid for it. AND she also very harshly punished a close relationship maid in 2nd day when the maid openly showed her disdain for MC.
Btw father-in-law and brother-in-law are fat. Unlike shitty manhua.
PS: The series later on also explain a very cool original idea about "martial qi is op but not omnipotent bc when running out you are deadmeat against an army".
PS PS : MC punched a woman for FL (very rare among old CNs)
I've indeed come across it but never really tried after reading the title, I just thought it's focused for female readers.

I'll definitely try it now.
TLDR at end.

For the JP/CH old series, give up finding "calculative" AND "(good) large harem" series.
One adjective is already destroying 99% of all series, but two together ? And "large harem" being a series-killer for 99.9999999% of all series ? So yeah, better to check out english series on scribblehub or royalroad etc.
For korean novels, maybe or maybe not, there wasnt lot accessible 10years ago.
There are some probably old KR series with calculative MCs with harem, but what is weird with korean authors, is that they always make the romance part being ignored most of the time. Ex : "Solo leveling" had FL have appearance, then later 2-3 cameos then forgotten until re-appearing at end for "marriage/family-life".

Among veteran novel readers, "harem" was a big detail that basically foretell the series was bad. Because author(s) rarely could do it right and often failed terribly at it.
especially chinese novels.

The very unique "harem" series that was of high quality that most agreed the harem was well done is : Mushoku Tensei.
But it also proved the point that "smaller harem" is better than "bigger".
Bc "character development", unlike getting 20+, or getting a generic bland harem like "Smartphone in isekai".

The other exception is "Arifureta". But they are kinda "vases/trophies".
Funny fact, the "after-story" 2nd part where MC is back on earth with harem and surviving classmates, made the series have a 2nd phase of popularity and even superior compared to isekai-part.
And in the "after-story", the harem FLs get development.
PS : I was one person that disliked the isekai-part but only began liking the series when i poison-tested the "after-stories".
PSPS : The hidden-face side character ninja guy get a harem in "after-stories" arcs. Despite not wanting one.
-------------
Also among old novels (kr/ch/jp), writing smart MC was hard and unpopular. And fear of not controlling well.
Its like "Onepunch-man". Clearly the idea is not so hard to imagine and probably dozens of authors once thought of this kind of crazy plot where MC is invincible. Its just that "how" later on that makes them not try. Or have a crazy novel like "Invisible dragon" that seems written by a 5years old.
IQ also problematic, because there is this proverb : [The iq of the protagonist will never surpass the iq of the author]
And "growing strong" was mainsteam unlike now where MC get "system/cheat/golden-finger/opness" right from the get go.
And lastly, writing a calculative MC, is problematic like death note. Or mc crush everything with iq (with iq of author) against stupid people, or author is forced to invent as smart enemies against MC so the series dont end fast. Then you need to find reason to "why does MC use his iq against other people?". Writing the world having lot of bad guys so MC can target them = depressive atmosphere the world is evil. Writing the world is good and MC is evil and killing people ? = 10years ago, most readers prefered the good-nature MC (ex: Kirito SAO) and disliked evil MCs while anti-hero MCs (my fav) were even disliked by both camps of good-evil-MCs readers, just like salty-sweet food.

TLDR : Dont try finding among old jp, chinese, korean novels. Because ton of old readers craved for it and never found it. And now 2023 you get factory-quality series for popularity like tiktoks for views. Sole solution is like game-indies, to search among small creators (scribblehub/etc)
True, I don't think I'll find much in the old ones, but I don't mind a new one, even if it is still going on, as long as it has like a hundred chapters and regular realease.

I'm mostly just looking for MC with at least a little bit IQ, I wrote that he can plan everything because I just don't want the dumb MCs that you usually find in CH novels. As for family and background, it's so there aren't scenes where people will underestimate the MC and get face slapped, I mean it's funny if it happens sometimes or if you're just in that phase that you don't mind it. But i want to avoid that.

Like Young Master in Shadows, he has background and stuff but he slowly just becoming independent.

Last edited:

Eclectic_Asininity

Warlock of the Magus World, idk if it fills your criteria, it's just a good novel. Sadly one of the first Chinese novels I read, which tricked me into thinking they would all have similar quality.

(I like pragmatics, and I hate when people downvote fictional novels because they have different moral opinions.)

I just wish the brain chip wasn't such a cheat.

The thing about the "calculative mind" part, is that it doesn't make any logical sense to have a harem if you had such a level of intelligence. I feel like you would work out the pretty simple equation of more girls = more problems. It seems more like something a less intelligent person would strive for. But that's just a personal opinion, I never got the appeal of Harems.

Beyonder7725

Warlock of the Magus World, idk if it fills your criteria, it's just a good novel. Sadly one of the first Chinese novels I read, which tricked me into thinking they would all have similar quality.

(I like pragmatics, and I hate when people downvote fictional novels because they have different moral opinions.)

I just wish the brain chip wasn't such a cheat.

The thing about the "calculative mind" part, is that it doesn't make any logical sense to have a harem if you had such a level of intelligence. I feel like you would work out the pretty simple equation of more girls = more problems. It seems more like something a less intelligent person would strive for. But that's just a personal opinion, I never got the appeal of Harems.
Well, let's say that the protagonist has power, wealth and everything, so he has to at least find some goal and I really like the making of a lovable Harem, of course since it's a fictional world I don't really care about the morals. Usually Harem is used so you can have a lot of love interests and the reader can like obe or many of them. Most male audience would definitely like a beautiful female character in there so it's also that. Other times it's just wish fulfilment. Like in reality I can't even have one girl, so let ke have many in the fictional world.

I really like Harem's that are done right. The larger the better for me so I don't get bored reading about same female lead. Also more girls= more problems= more interesting story.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
The thing about the "calculative mind" part, is that it doesn't make any logical sense to have a harem if you had such a level of intelligence. I feel like you would work out the pretty simple equation of more girls = more problems.
The same goes for getting stronger, like with the ending of Warlock. You're just moving up the ladder in terms of who you're powerful or rich enough to interest in acting against you, usually narrowing down the pool of possible alternative victims.
The way I see it, the safest way would be to stealth into a power level sufficient to deal with any stray troubles that might hit you at scrub level and then live as one.
Beyond that, both supremacy and harem are personal ambitions.

Though there are two things to note. First, I'm suggesting this because I ended up disliking the same things about it that I disliked about Young Master in the Shadows, which were more or less what I understood to be your requirements as well, but I can't guarantee it.
Second is that the MC starts out with little of the silver spoon that both of the examples seem to have (though I only read the Play of Destiny Synopsis), so if a starting position of power is essential, this won't be for you.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Please suggest anyway, I'll try them and see if I like it.
Well... Look at my sig file. IWS has the harem, FTS has the family, HKN has the power.
HKN is about finding family, but the MC never gets a harem. In fact, he's chaste as fuck.
FTS is about understanding power, but never gets a harem.
IWS is about finding both Family and power, but it isn't strictly the MC. The side characters get their own arcs and I switched up to give different PoVs all the time. HELL, the main character has a split personality, so he is by definition multiple PoVs so while I guess it has everything you are looking for, it's a slow build, and what you get is spread out over a complex web of relationships.

Speaking of, I need to finish IWS.