Writing Questions: Is this fight scene any good? what can be improved? Suggestions welcome.

Hobo_With_A_Scythe

Okay so I wrote this nifty fight scene for my novel which I'm rewriting but I don't know if it's exciting enough or too drawn out or what can be done to improve it.

Context:
Thane: Wizened mercenary leader who is exploring strange cave with his group only to find scary things in there.
Demoness: A noble demon, unnaturally strong and overly proud and sadistic.
Anima: The lifeforce within which can be trained by anyone unlike magic, to the proficient it can harden the flesh and imbue strength.
Blessing: A blessed skill which one has recieved from defeating certain dungeon creatures.

This isn't a full chapter, only part of a 7k chapter. Still it's 1400 words so it's a bit of a read.

In the end there was no real camaraderie between them all. Only benefits and how useful they were to Thane tied them together and Garen was now useless, therefore he should expect to be abandoned.

Garen who had wiped clear the blood in his eyes saw the fleeing duo and a flash of hatred showed though it was quickly replaced by pain and fear as the dead man bit through his leg right to the bone which swiftly let out an audible crunch.

"Ahhhh!"

Hearing that blood curdling scream only caused Thane and Hob's steps to quicken. When they came back into the large circular room, Hob who was the fastest reached the nearest column first and just as he was passing, a black armored fist struck him in the face with enough force to flip him backwards and onto his stomach.

Thane stopped just three meters from Hob who was now twitching on the ground, his neck bent backwards and at an unnatural angle. Hob’s eyes were staring at something behind the column with visible fear as he desperately choked and gasped for air.

Thane readied his axe and growled. “Who’s there!? Show yourself!”

“Eager are you?” A husky voice tickled his ears as if it were plucking at his spirit.

His body froze and his pupil’s dilated. Thane was familiar with this bizarre sensation, he had experienced it once when he passed by someone in Solace, in Reaver’s own mansion. It was a..

“Demon!” The word was squeezed from his clenched teeth.

“Hahaha.” An almost hypnotizing laugh echoed as someone moved from behind the column.

What came into his sight was a tall woman covered in black armor, she seemed like a mountain to Hob's small frame and even to Thane himself who stood a generous six foot three.

She had blood red hair cascading down her back and two horns sprouting from her head, her violet eyes staring at him like a hawk would its prey.

The demoness placed her metal boot on Hob’s back and with a flex of her thigh, her foot sunk in shattering his spine and crushing his heart. With a deflated scream, he died with grievance in his eyes and bloody froth leaving his mouth.

The demoness clicked her tongue in dissatisfaction. “You humans are so fragile...” She shook her head and sighed. “I was hoping to play with him a little more but he only lasted a single punch. Such weak flesh is not even worthy of being fed to the dogs.”

She crossed her arms and grinned. “What about you human, are you worthy?”

Thane scowled but didn’t answer. Though he looked calm, his mind was anything but.

A drop of sweat slid down his brow. ‘I should have guessed it was a damn demon and from the looks of it a high ranking one. Who else could conjure up such madness!? I have no hope of taking this fiend on.’

His team was dead and he was all alone. This was perhaps the most dangerous situation he had ever been in. Thane’s thoughts quickly spun as he thought of a viable plan.

Thane took a deep breath. ‘I’ll only have one chance, if I can catch her by surprise with my blessing, she’ll be wounded and I can flee... if not...’ His brow scrunched with determination. ‘I can only fight to the death!’

His old eyes narrowed into thin slits full of murder, his muscles began to bulge with power. He took a crouching stance, gripping his axe with both hands.

Seeing this, the demoness licked her lip, though her eyes flashing with serious intent. ‘Oh? This bug has decently trained his anima, he’s dangerous.’

“Hah!”

With a swift leap, Thane had traversed the gap between himself and the demon. He swung his large axe at her with terrible ferocity and no wasted movements.

The demoness was not foolish enough to take such a powerful strike head on so with an agile twist that you wouldn’t expect from someone so tall, she barely evaded, though the axe did graze her armor leaving quite the dent.

Boom!

The axe embedded itself into the stone column causing spiderweb like cracks at its point of impact.

Before Thane could pull the axe free, the demoness had already spun around with a kick. Seeing the danger coming his way, Thane let go of the axe and blocked the kick with a cross guard.

“Ugh!” Thane grunted as he felt a tremendous force hit his arms throwing him backwards several feet, looking up he saw the demoness quickly close the gap between them.

Ignoring the burning sensation on his forearms, Thane growled, his inner anima strengthening his muscles and hardening his fists with a dull white glow surrounding them. He then stepped forth and threw a punch towards her head but she tilted it to the side, his fist catching nothing but air.

She then countered with a swift elbow to Thane’s jaw sending him sprawling to the ground. Thane felt dizzy for a moment but quickly got to his feet only to see a giant metal fist coming towards his face.

Relying on his instincts that he had honed over his several decades as mercenary, Thane just barely managed to dodge it and reply in kind with a punch towards the demoness’s side where his axe had previously weakened the armor.

The demoness felt a powerful shock to her ribs that almost lifted her off the ground and a finger long crack had appeared in her armor!

“Ha! Well done human!” She laughed gleefully, her expression twisting in excitement.

With bloodlust in her eyes, she gripped Thane’s shoulder and with a toothy grin, she headbutted him.

“Ugh!” Thane cried out in pain, feeling as if he had hit his head on a brick wall.

Before he gather any semblance of thought, she headbutted him again and then again. It was savage and relentless and it didn’t stop until Thane’s old face was battered and bloody and he had gone limp like a dead fish, seemingly unconscious.

“Heh quite admirable human! You have such a strong face. Your little friends would have had their faces caved in already with brains squirting outward.” The demoness face was drenched in Thane’s blood, she licked the blood off her lips and showed a hint of ecstasy as if she just enjoyed brutalizing someone.

The demoness thought for a moment as she held the passed out Thane in her grasp, she did think of choking him to death but then remembered something. “He did say to leave one alive...I guess you’ll do.”

“Be grateful for you won’t die yet- hmm..?” As she stared at Thane noticed something strange.

With teeth missing, a broken nose and orbital bone; his appearance was truly horrid but his eyes were now wide open, staring her in the eyes.

They were no longer coal black but yellow with a thin slit for a pupil like a snake filled with a certain primal intent as if a great beast was gazing at her. Suddenly, Thane’s eyes glowed brighter and instantly, it felt as if she was struck by lightning.

The demoness was stunned, releasing Thane. Her furious eyes firmly locked onto him as she cursed inwardly. ‘This bastard was hiding a blessing!’

In time it took for a second to pass, Thane’s hand had transformed into a fang and it had embedded itself in the crack in the demoness’s armor that he made with his two previous attacks.

In the next second she had regained control and with an enraged strike, she punched Thane several meters away into one of the surrounding stone columns.

Thane cradled his chest as he felt several of his broken ribs, hacking up a mouthful of blood he shakily stood and stared at the demoness with slight shock. ‘She was holding back before!’ Gulping, he then sprinted towards the surface not caring about the demoness behind him.

“You sneaky bug!” The demoness grit her teeth and was just about to chase Thane but quickly felt a weakness in her legs causing her to buckle and kneel.

"Poison!? You poisoned me?" The fact that this human insect had actually injured her this much absolutely infuriated her, it was proof of how weak she had gotten over the past few weeks. "How laughable.." She chuckled but there was no joy in her laugh, only a madness befitting a demon.

“To think I let a bug sting me, I’ve really gotten soft.” Her violet eyes changed to a crimson color, the air surrounding her began to ripple with heatwaves.

With a spiteful look, she grumbled. “You’re dead.”

C_A_D_M_U_S

Okay so I wrote this nifty fight scene for my novel which I'm rewriting but I don't know if it's exciting enough or too drawn out or what can be done to improve it.

Context:
Thane: Wizened mercenary leader who is exploring strange cave with his group only to find scary things in there.
Demoness: A noble demon, unnaturally strong and overly proud and sadistic.
Anima: The lifeforce within which can be trained by anyone unlike magic, to the proficient it can harden the flesh and imbue strength.
Blessing: A blessed skill which one has recieved from defeating certain dungeon creatures.

This isn't a full chapter, only part of a 7k chapter. Still it's 1400 words so it's a bit of a read.

In the end there was no real camaraderie between them all. Only benefits and how useful they were to Thane tied them together and Garen was now useless, therefore he should expect to be abandoned.

Garen who had wiped clear the blood in his eyes saw the fleeing duo and a flash of hatred showed though it was quickly replaced by pain and fear as the dead man bit through his leg right to the bone which swiftly let out an audible crunch.

"Ahhhh!"

Hearing that blood curdling scream only caused Thane and Hob's steps to quicken. When they came back into the large circular room, Hob who was the fastest reached the nearest column first and just as he was passing, a black armored fist struck him in the face with enough force to flip him backwards and onto his stomach.

Thane stopped just three meters from Hob who was now twitching on the ground, his neck bent backwards and at an unnatural angle. Hob’s eyes were staring at something behind the column with visible fear as he desperately choked and gasped for air.

Thane readied his axe and growled. “Who’s there!? Show yourself!”

“Eager are you?” A husky voice tickled his ears as if it were plucking at his spirit.

His body froze and his pupil’s dilated. Thane was familiar with this bizarre sensation, he had experienced it once when he passed by someone in Solace, in Reaver’s own mansion. It was a..

“Demon!” The word was squeezed from his clenched teeth.

“Hahaha.” An almost hypnotizing laugh echoed as someone moved from behind the column.

What came into his sight was a tall woman covered in black armor, she seemed like a mountain to Hob's small frame and even to Thane himself who stood a generous six foot three.

She had blood red hair cascading down her back and two horns sprouting from her head, her violet eyes staring at him like a hawk would its prey.

The demoness placed her metal boot on Hob’s back and with a flex of her thigh, her foot sunk in shattering his spine and crushing his heart. With a deflated scream, he died with grievance in his eyes and bloody froth leaving his mouth.

The demoness clicked her tongue in dissatisfaction. “You humans are so fragile...” She shook her head and sighed. “I was hoping to play with him a little more but he only lasted a single punch. Such weak flesh is not even worthy of being fed to the dogs.”

She crossed her arms and grinned. “What about you human, are you worthy?”

Thane scowled but didn’t answer. Though he looked calm, his mind was anything but.

A drop of sweat slid down his brow. ‘I should have guessed it was a damn demon and from the looks of it a high ranking one. Who else could conjure up such madness!? I have no hope of taking this fiend on.’

His team was dead and he was all alone. This was perhaps the most dangerous situation he had ever been in. Thane’s thoughts quickly spun as he thought of a viable plan.

Thane took a deep breath. ‘I’ll only have one chance, if I can catch her by surprise with my blessing, she’ll be wounded and I can flee... if not...’ His brow scrunched with determination. ‘I can only fight to the death!’

His old eyes narrowed into thin slits full of murder, his muscles began to bulge with power. He took a crouching stance, gripping his axe with both hands.

Seeing this, the demoness licked her lip, though her eyes flashing with serious intent. ‘Oh? This bug has decently trained his anima, he’s dangerous.’

“Hah!”

With a swift leap, Thane had traversed the gap between himself and the demon. He swung his large axe at her with terrible ferocity and no wasted movements.

The demoness was not foolish enough to take such a powerful strike head on so with an agile twist that you wouldn’t expect from someone so tall, she barely evaded, though the axe did graze her armor leaving quite the dent.

Boom!

The axe embedded itself into the stone column causing spiderweb like cracks at its point of impact.

Before Thane could pull the axe free, the demoness had already spun around with a kick. Seeing the danger coming his way, Thane let go of the axe and blocked the kick with a cross guard.

“Ugh!” Thane grunted as he felt a tremendous force hit his arms throwing him backwards several feet, looking up he saw the demoness quickly close the gap between them.

Ignoring the burning sensation on his forearms, Thane growled, his inner anima strengthening his muscles and hardening his fists with a dull white glow surrounding them. He then stepped forth and threw a punch towards her head but she tilted it to the side, his fist catching nothing but air.

She then countered with a swift elbow to Thane’s jaw sending him sprawling to the ground. Thane felt dizzy for a moment but quickly got to his feet only to see a giant metal fist coming towards his face.

Relying on his instincts that he had honed over his several decades as mercenary, Thane just barely managed to dodge it and reply in kind with a punch towards the demoness’s side where his axe had previously weakened the armor.

The demoness felt a powerful shock to her ribs that almost lifted her off the ground and a finger long crack had appeared in her armor!

“Ha! Well done human!” She laughed gleefully, her expression twisting in excitement.

With bloodlust in her eyes, she gripped Thane’s shoulder and with a toothy grin, she headbutted him.

“Ugh!” Thane cried out in pain, feeling as if he had hit his head on a brick wall.

Before he gather any semblance of thought, she headbutted him again and then again. It was savage and relentless and it didn’t stop until Thane’s old face was battered and bloody and he had gone limp like a dead fish, seemingly unconscious.

“Heh quite admirable human! You have such a strong face. Your little friends would have had their faces caved in already with brains squirting outward.” The demoness face was drenched in Thane’s blood, she licked the blood off her lips and showed a hint of ecstasy as if she just enjoyed brutalizing someone.

The demoness thought for a moment as she held the passed out Thane in her grasp, she did think of choking him to death but then remembered something. “He did say to leave one alive...I guess you’ll do.”

“Be grateful for you won’t die yet- hmm..?” As she stared at Thane noticed something strange.

With teeth missing, a broken nose and orbital bone; his appearance was truly horrid but his eyes were now wide open, staring her in the eyes.

They were no longer coal black but yellow with a thin slit for a pupil like a snake filled with a certain primal intent as if a great beast was gazing at her. Suddenly, Thane’s eyes glowed brighter and instantly, it felt as if she was struck by lightning.

The demoness was stunned, releasing Thane. Her furious eyes firmly locked onto him as she cursed inwardly. ‘This bastard was hiding a blessing!’

In time it took for a second to pass, Thane’s hand had transformed into a fang and it had embedded itself in the crack in the demoness’s armor that he made with his two previous attacks.

In the next second she had regained control and with an enraged strike, she punched Thane several meters away into one of the surrounding stone columns.

Thane cradled his chest as he felt several of his broken ribs, hacking up a mouthful of blood he shakily stood and stared at the demoness with slight shock. ‘She was holding back before!’ Gulping, he then sprinted towards the surface not caring about the demoness behind him.

“You sneaky bug!” The demoness grit her teeth and was just about to chase Thane but quickly felt a weakness in her legs causing her to buckle and kneel.

"Poison!? You poisoned me?" The fact that this human insect had actually injured her this much absolutely infuriated her, it was proof of how weak she had gotten over the past few weeks. "How laughable.." She chuckled but there was no joy in her laugh, only a madness befitting a demon.

“To think I let a bug sting me, I’ve really gotten soft.” Her violet eyes changed to a crimson color, the air surrounding her began to ripple with heatwaves.

With a spiteful look, she grumbled. “You’re dead.”
Well...it's easy to imagine but it's not thrilling...or maybe that's just me. I feel like there's more description and inner thoughts rather than the actual action. Also, the common advice I read when it comes to writing fight scenes is to use shorter sentences.

1000002106.jpg

Have a look at this article, it might help: https://nybookeditors.com/2018/08/how-to-write-a-convincing-fight-scene/

Hobo_With_A_Scythe

melchi

What is a custom title?
Well...it's easy to imagine but it's not thrilling...or maybe that's just me. I feel like there's more description and inner thoughts rather than the actual action. Also, the common advice I read when it comes to writing fight scenes is to use shorter sentences.

View attachment 21016

Have a look at this article, it might help: https://nybookeditors.com/2018/08/how-to-write-a-convincing-fight-scene/
I agree things are needlessly verbose.

Also,
Thane cradled his chest as he felt several of his broken ribs,
Parallels prose.... BAD

Is he cradling his chest? Is he feeling several broken ribs? Writing it like this messes up the mental movie because in the sentence cradling his chest comes first, but with the ---AS---- there then the reader has to stop and back up to fix the mental movie because they don't get the clue that those two things are happening at the same time until a few words later. This is extra bad in action scenes.

Ruyi

༺ aureate sect ༻
You have good content but you can break it up more. It's like cooking—just heating up chicken makes it edible, but you need flavoring and garnishes to make it palatable.

One tip I'll leave is to check your sentence lengths. Most of them seem to be either the same length or very long, filling in multiple actions at once. Break it down and use different lengths (short, medium, long), then mix up those lengths throughout your prose. Switch up the syntax. Give us more visuals through all the five senses, but write it in a way that's more direct and impactful. This is a fight scene after all, not a leisurely walk in the park. Heighten the tension by speeding up the action by well, shortening the prose.

As an example, this sentence:
is waaaay too wordy and wants to tell us everything at once. Stop stuffing your readers with food and give us bite sized morsels to savor. From what I can read there are two main events vying for the reader's attention here, specifically:

- Garen's reaction to the duo (emotional changes, shown through his eyes)
- Dead man's actions (biting leg + crunch)

You'd have an easier time just breaking them up into two sentences:
Garen wiped the blood from his eyes as he spotted the fleeing duo. The flash of hatred in his irises was quickly replaced by pain and fear as the dead man bit through his leg right to the bone which swiftly let out an audible crunch.
Then you can have fun polishing those sentences up for dramatic effect.
Here's one that's more or less the same but re-orders stuff to hightlight the dramatic shock of being bitten:
Garen wiped the blood from his eyes as he spotted the fleeing duo. Hatred burned in his eyes, yet they soon widened in fear as a wave of pain overwhelmed him.
"Ahhhhhhh!"
The dead man had bitten his leg. Seconds later, there was an audible crunch as sharp teeth crushed through his femur.
Here's one that mixes up the order more, adds some HOT/COLD-coded words for contrast, and injects a touch of internal dialogue so we get that sweet emotional conflict all protagonists suffer through:
Fresh blood coated the back of his hand in a hot, sticky film as he watched the duo flee. His eyes stung—not from tears, but a burning fury at their betrayal. In the end there was no real camaraderie between them all. Only benefits and how useful they were to Thane tied them together. "Garen is now useless, so he should expect to be abandoned." He could imagine [PARTY MEMBER] mocking him with those words as—
Searing pain. He screamed.
Looking down, Garen saw the dead man's jaws buried deep inside the flesh of his leg. Before he could react, the corpse bit straight to the bone with a sickening crunch, and his blood turned to ice.
There's a few other examples of this happening throughout your excerpt, so 1) separate, 2) shorten, and 2) sensationalize as needed.

FleecedSheep

So... Ever watch a Rocky movie? I like to think of fights like a boxing match. First is the exhibition where both characters show off their stuff. Demoness enters, showcases her power by killing his team number. Main character realizes she's a demon. Identities are established and power scale is determined.
First round is usually testing. instead of having the demoness immediately realize he might be a threat have her be relaxed. Something like...

Thane had no chance against the Demoness. His team was dead, and best he had only one shot. He needed to make an opening. Anything. Readying himself, Thane filled his body with Anima, his muscles bulging and swelling with power.
Seeing this the Demoness spoke, "Oh? You might actually be worth my time human."
He didn't wait. Charging forward he attempted to hit her with all he had. The sudden motion and speed shook the Demoness, her relaxed grin replaced with a serious frown as she attempted to dodge the fearsome blow and in spite of her best attempt Thane's axe clipped her armor, carving a large gash in the steel. Unfortunately, he failed to hit her head on. His axe carried forward by the sheer force he had put behind carried on through and into the column of stone. It cracked and shook as the axe was imbedded into it.

Thus, round 1. Usually in fights the first round is a testing round. The demoness expected him to run or at least try to test her but didn't expect Thane to go all out. Makes it more interesting and less verbose, also good use of the column. It adds a level of depth to the fight scene. Second round is the demoness treating him seriously, followed by the third round where he manages to hit her with his blessing and runs off. In between rounds you can allow for very brief readjustments. letting a character rethink their approach or adjust their fighting style. Much like between bouts in a boxing match. At this point you can add more layers to a fight, for instance if Thane, now disarmed realized he shouldn't go head-to-head with her, maybe he decides to use the column as a shield to prevent her from getting at him. Essentially playing keep away as he tries to either get the axe or wait for her to attempt to rush him, thus creating an opening. Such an action would also establish that the character was a veteran for knowing how to use the environment and also adds yet another layer to the fight as he attempts to wait out the demoness.

Rounds usually can follow this kind of formula. Round 1: Establishes power dynamic of the fight. Who is weaker? Who is stronger? Round 2: The interim round or rather the round where both go at it. Round 3: One or both sides attempt to flip the table and end it. Usually this is where trump cards come into play, with additional rounds being added based on additional forms, and/or trump cards. Had Thane not ran after the third round, the 4th round would be him against a full power demoness.
Hopefully this helps. I don't think I'm much of a writer, but I have some confidence in fight scenes, for good or ill. If it doesn't, sorry.

Hobo_With_A_Scythe

You have good content but you can break it up more. It's like cooking—just heating up chicken makes it edible, but you need flavoring and garnishes to make it palatable.

One tip I'll leave is to check your sentence lengths. Most of them seem to be either the same length or very long, filling in multiple actions at once. Break it down and use different lengths (short, medium, long), then mix up those lengths throughout your prose. Switch up the syntax. Give us more visuals through all the five senses, but write it in a way that's more direct and impactful. This is a fight scene after all, not a leisurely walk in the park. Heighten the tension by speeding up the action by well, shortening the prose.

As an example, this sentence:

is waaaay too wordy and wants to tell us everything at once. Stop stuffing your readers with food and give us bite sized morsels to savor. From what I can read there are two main events vying for the reader's attention here, specifically:

- Garen's reaction to the duo (emotional changes, shown through his eyes)
- Dead man's actions (biting leg + crunch)

You'd have an easier time just breaking them up into two sentences:

Then you can have fun polishing those sentences up for dramatic effect.
Here's one that's more or less the same but re-orders stuff to hightlight the dramatic shock of being bitten:

Here's one that mixes up the order more, adds some HOT/COLD-coded words for contrast, and injects a touch of internal dialogue so we get that sweet emotional conflict all protagonists suffer through:

There's a few other examples of this happening throughout your excerpt, so 1) separate, 2) shorten, and 2) sensationalize as needed.
Thanks! This is very helpful and could apply to more than just my fight scene but the other chapters. Looks like I've got some editing to do lol :blob_sweat:
So... Ever watch a Rocky movie? I like to think of fights like a boxing match. First is the exhibition where both characters show off their stuff. Demoness enters, showcases her power by killing his team number. Main character realizes she's a demon. Identities are established and power scale is determined.
First round is usually testing. instead of having the demoness immediately realize he might be a threat have her be relaxed. Something like...

Thane had no chance against the Demoness. His team was dead, and best he had only one shot. He needed to make an opening. Anything. Readying himself, Thane filled his body with Anima, his muscles bulging and swelling with power.
Seeing this the Demoness spoke, "Oh? You might actually be worth my time human."
He didn't wait. Charging forward he attempted to hit her with all he had. The sudden motion and speed shook the Demoness, her relaxed grin replaced with a serious frown as she attempted to dodge the fearsome blow and in spite of her best attempt Thane's axe clipped her armor, carving a large gash in the steel. Unfortunately, he failed to hit her head on. His axe carried forward by the sheer force he had put behind carried on through and into the column of stone. It cracked and shook as the axe was imbedded into it.

Thus, round 1. Usually in fights the first round is a testing round. The demoness expected him to run or at least try to test her but didn't expect Thane to go all out. Makes it more interesting and less verbose, also good use of the column. It adds a level of depth to the fight scene. Second round is the demoness treating him seriously, followed by the third round where he manages to hit her with his blessing and runs off. In between rounds you can allow for very brief readjustments. letting a character rethink their approach or adjust their fighting style. Much like between bouts in a boxing match. At this point you can add more layers to a fight, for instance if Thane, now disarmed realized he shouldn't go head-to-head with her, maybe he decides to use the column as a shield to prevent her from getting at him. Essentially playing keep away as he tries to either get the axe or wait for her to attempt to rush him, thus creating an opening. Such an action would also establish that the character was a veteran for knowing how to use the environment and also adds yet another layer to the fight as he attempts to wait out the demoness.

Rounds usually can follow this kind of formula. Round 1: Establishes power dynamic of the fight. Who is weaker? Who is stronger? Round 2: The interim round or rather the round where both go at it. Round 3: One or both sides attempt to flip the table and end it. Usually this is where trump cards come into play, with additional rounds being added based on additional forms, and/or trump cards. Had Thane not ran after the third round, the 4th round would be him against a full power demoness.
Hopefully this helps. I don't think I'm much of a writer, but I have some confidence in fight scenes, for good or ill. If it doesn't, sorry.
That's a really detailed breakdown for exciting fights, well done and thanks for posting an example!! I didn't even think about fights that way, following your steps will streamline my fights and hopefully make them more excting.