Request feedback on my story

scribesaga

Hey everyone,

I'm doing a re-write of my story "Tornado Alley Summoner", and it's called "Love in the Last City: A Succubus's Love Story". Yeah I know, crazy title change. In the original version, I was playing with a grim-dark theme with war and action layered over a slow building romance. Ultimately, I fell out of love with the story. There were some things I really liked about it, but at the same time, it went a little too dark for me. After taking a break from it for several months, I decided to take another crack at it. This time it would be a lot more of a 'slow-burn romance'. The fantasy setting is still grim, but not hopeless, and I removed a lot of the sexual scenes (some of them were completely unnecessary and told a diverting side story that I hadn't plotted out).

In Love in the Last City, the main character is still Lorelei, a timid and shy succubus trying to master her own insecurities. The world is a fantasy where humans and demi-humans have to share a compacted city for survival. Much of the world has been wracked by terrible magical storms, including tornadoes that range from terrifying arcs of wind, to solid masses of debris that is more of a wall as it's large enough to span across countries. Much of history is lost, and if it weren't for the magical shield, the storms would've erased the last city a long time ago.

So humans and all other fantasy species are just trying to get by, and learn to make the most of it. Elves keep plant life growing so people have food, and other species try to contribute in their own ways. the Cubi (incubus and succubus) can feast upon the desires and lusts of those around them, which oozes a sense of calm among those who are experiencing a lot of sexual frustration. So in this universe, Cubi don't need sex to survive, they merely feed off the sexual frustrations of others. Whenever a succubus or incubus has sex with someone though, the experience can seem magical for both parties.

Lorelei (main character, and succubus) has always hated her ability to sense other people's temptations; sometimes she wonders if her own fantasies belong to her, or someone else that just happens to be nearby. She's incredibly shy and timid, and thus doesn't behave like the stereotypical succubus. I wanted her to be the opposite of what most people think. Also, yes, she is incredibly beautiful.

Anyway, this story "Love in the Last City" is a slow-romance in a darker fantasy setting with continually building tension as nefarious agents move against the city and threaten the safety of its inhabitants. Also, there is a somewhat comedic element, as the male love interest (Theo) is pursued by Lorelei.

I would love to know what people think about it, and whether they prefer it over the darker more gritty version.

anyway, thanks everyone for reading this, and let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 8