Serialized Visual Novel: Allow iframe embedding for google slides

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Request: Allow <iframe> embedding in Scribblehub editor of google slides with url as https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/e/xxxxxxxxxxx.

Effect: Readers will be able to consume visual novels on scribblehub site without the need to be redirected outside the website.

Labor cost: Low. I'm no expert, but it's probably just changing the Content Security Policy. [1] [2]

Rejection: Readers will continue to be redirected towards external websites to consult visual novels (such as youtube or google slides).

Potential of Scribblehub in piercing the Visual Novel market

"A visual novel (VN) is a form of digital interactive fiction. Visual novels are often associated with the medium of video games, but are not always labeled as such themselves. They combine a textual narrative with static or animated illustrations and a varying degree of interactivity." - wikipedia

fig: screenshot of Umineko, a famous visual novel

There exists a few platform hosting visual novels. They use HTML5 features to make interactive slideshows.

However, I believe they exhibit few flaws:
1. They focus on the interactive game aspect of visual novel
2. They came too early

1. As games, visual novels can offer multiple endings depending on the choice of the player. However, this often requires that the game is completed. Because of this, most platform seems to be oriented towards one-shots. However, in this current age, serialization is a very safe and attractive business model compared to releasing completed works. It can be observed from the popularity of live-service games, or games released in incomplete states that slowly updates. Not only it soften the initial investment, but it also maintain a visibility on the internet by staying active. Webnovels are lot less demanding for writers than real paperback publisher, as they don't have to spend years in a damp room having mental breakdowns polishing their entire manuscript.

To this day, no VN platform seems to be designed with serialization in mind. Perhaps, they have tiny "latest updates" section, but nothing as friendly as scribblehub. Therefore, scribblehub can pioneer online serialized visual novels at the low cost of embedding slideshows.

2. Platforms specialized in VN came too early. Online publishing platforms live thanks to the content generated by users. In the case of VN, how many random users are able form and direct a group of artist, writer, composer? That's right, there were not enough creators to support a lively community of consumers. As a result, VN platforms are ded.

But everything is changing thanks to AI.

Democratization of AI-generated art & music

Today, how many users are now able to craft a story, art and music on their own? Absolutely Everyone.

As a proof, scribblehub users have spontaneously started to make VN. We can cite @Corty for turning Mad God into a VN, or @Natsumikan for her short experimental piece using Yodayo AI arts.

Although they are not making VN, multiple forum users regularly post their AI-generated art. How long do you think it will take before they decide to combine to some story telling: Ellieporter AI thread, Reinaislost's profile posts, Cipiteca's profile posts, RepresentingEnvy's thread.

For a writer, the biggest hurdle for visual novel is the graphics. Paying a human artist for the volume of content needed was simply impossible and too risky.

AI just smashed this hurdle in atoms. Their scripts improve at an unprecedented rate, making them easier to control and output better quality image. There are also constant improvement for AI-generated music. So, we can only expect a surge of VN-like content in the foreseeable future.

In conclusion, Scribblehub has an interesting opportunity to start riding the incoming tsunami of VN-like content. Scribblehub doesn't suffer from the drawback of only relying on the yet-to-exist VN community, and thanks to the webnovel readers already here, scribblehub provides a fertile ground to grow the potential VN audience.

Limitations of Google Slides
Google slides is the god damn easiest way to make a VN. You get what you see, no need for programming and everyone had to do powerpoint presentation at school.

Unfortunately, Google forbids hosting and sharing any kind of explicit content. So we can't do google slides smut. Is this a good thing? Maybe...

Google slides loop the same music in the entire slideshow. You can't switch the music at determined slides.

Author Userbase's reticence
At best, they should be indifferent. At worst, they should be against. Authors are in an implicit competition for reader's attention.

For authors who aren't interested in AI-generated content or transverse art skills to supplement their stories, the implementation of new features exposes them to losing their popularity to new types of works. As a result, such new feature will induce a sense of insecurity.

I believe such case can be seen in fanfiction.net, which demands good grammar and good quality prose and disable the usage of pictures, which undoubtly elevate classic book in their platform at the cost of banishing all form of graphical art.

For the moment, such fear cannot hold true.
-There are too few VN creators to drain away reader's attention. And if it became a problem, a solution would be simply to redirect VN content to a separate website. This could be the endgame plan after growing a sufficient userbase enjoying this type of content.
-Like how Anime and Manga are in strange competition for audience, they are also in a beneficial symbiosis where a large portion of the audience is shared across both format. What I mean is that just because the audience reads a few VN doesn't mean that they won't read books, and vice versa.
-A story is dope regardless of whether there are pictures or not. The highest quality litterary works will not suffer just because they don't put pictures.

Conclusion
Scribblehub is in an unique position to pioneer serialized visual novel thanks to its already established readership and experimental AI-enthusiast writers. A way to capture this movement at practically no cost is just to enable <iframe> for google slides.

Disclosure of Conflict of interest
None.
I'm kidding, I'm making a google slides serialized visual novel (e.g. chapter 1)

Last edited:

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Getting stable character images that look the same but only differs in expressions/clothes is still a hurdle I am working with/around it, with many new extensions coming out daily. So yeah, AI made it easy to progress.

Edit:

Fat-fingered the send button. Anyway, what I wanted to add, is that there are more very user-friendly VN-making engines that make it easy to work with. In my case, when I am ready with it (still far away as I am a one-man-show while working and also writing my current story) when it is ready, it will also be easily exported to not just PC use but for Android phones/tablets (iOS is also on the table albeit I don't really look into their policies yet)

I am not sure about this Google slides thing, but now I got interested.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Getting stable character images that look the same but only differs in expressions/clothes is still a hurdle I am working with/around it with many new extensions coming out daily. So yeah, AI made it easy to progress.
Really? I'd imagine you just need to inpaint the mask on their face for expression.

For cloth changing, have you tried using controlnet reference mode?

melchi

What is a custom title?
There are some CYOA sites for stuff like that and some HTML based games that can function like a VN.

I'm not sure how stuff with it's own backend can be hosted without making a security risk.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
There are some CYOA sites for stuff like that and some HTML based games that can function like a VN.

I'm not sure how stuff with it's own backend can be hosted without making a security risk.

I'm aware, and I raise the following points to observe that there's a fundamental difference with scribblehub.
There exists a few platform hosting visual novels. They use HTML5 features to make interactive slideshows.

However, I believe they exhibit few flaws:
1. They focus on the interactive game aspect of visual novel
2. They came too early

Besides, I'm not interested in interactivity. I'm interested in serialization. Using google slides for VN is enough for that.

Corty

Really? I'd imagine you just need to inpaint the mask on their face for expression.

For cloth changing, have you tried using controlnet reference mode?
Yep, and I have extensions for keeping clothing colors too. I am not fully immersed in it yet, as I am still in the phase of transferring text into the engine, but I should be done with that around the middle of July.

I did some experiments with character creations, but as I have a very clear idea of what I want, it is hard to make consistent images that I deem good enough and pleasing to the eye. But I will get over that hurdle when I focus on character sprites. First, I should finish the text editing which is the biggest and most boring part :sweating_profusely:

Getting stable character images that look the same but only differs in expressions/clothes is still a hurdle I am working with/around it, with many new extensions coming out daily. So yeah, AI made it easy to progress.

Edit:

Fat-fingered the send button. Anyway, what I wanted to add, is that there are more very user-friendly VN-making engines that make it easy to work with. In my case, when I am ready with it (still far away as I am a one-man-show while working and also writing my current story) when it is ready, it will also be easily exported to not just PC use but for Android phones/tablets (iOS is also on the table albeit I don't really look into their policies yet)

have you tried reference controlnet?

nvm owotruck just asked that

edit 2: have you tried reference controlnet for faces? it works surprisingly well

Corty

@greyblob yes. Plus I always check civitai and hugging face for extensions and stuff for my setup. I'll bash my head against it until I succeed anyway. For now, I need to edit the text which is veeeery boring, especially as its a 1000+ pages.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery

Do you mean you will export your VN as standalone programs? I think it's annoying for readers if they have to download stuff especially if they have to download each chapter separately. Wait, are you going to publish it in one complete block? You could serialize it and work on it chapter by chapter too, you know?

On the other hand, I think google slides and HTML5 are the best options for online publishing, but it's a bit too much to request a HTML5 editor...

If you wonder what it looks like: chapter 1 of my VN

Corty

Do you mean you will export your VN as standalone programs? I think it's annoying for readers if they have to download stuff especially if they have to download each chapter separately. Wait, are you going to publish it in one complete block? You could serialize it and work on it chapter by chapter too, you know?

On the other hand, I think google slides and HTML5 are the best options for online publishing, but it's a bit too much to request a HTML5 editor...
It will be released as a complete game. Unpack and play style. Doing it bit by bit is waaaay too annoying for me besides IRL work and doing my currently ongoing two series, which are my main priority anyway. Then I also need time for myself too, or I would go insane.

No. I will slowly chip at it, work on it when I have the energy and mood and when it is ready, I export, upload and post it.

@greyblob yes. Plus I always check civitai and hugging face for extensions and stuff for my setup. I'll bash my head against it until I succeed anyway. For now, I need to edit the text which is veeeery boring, especially as its a 1000+ pages.
edit the text as in cut chapters into paragraphs for each slide?

Corty

It will be like in my

What you see here is one chapter. I will do the rest similarly. My first volume has 90 chapters, and the game will cover that. With multiple slides, animations whatever else it needs to be enjoyable. Per chapter.

edit:

Plus, I need to rewrite many parts to fit the style of a vn, so yeah, besides cutting up text, formatting, placing in names to show up who is talking, etc., that all needs editing inside the engine.

Last edited:
It will be like in my

What you see here is one chapter. I will do the rest similarly. My first volume has 90 chapters, and the game will cover that. With multiple slides, animations whatever else it needs to be enjoyable. Per chapter.

edit:

Plus, I need to rewrite many parts to fit the style of a vn, so yeah, besides cutting up text, formatting, placing in names to show up who is talking, etc., that all needs editing inside the engine.
good luck brother i respect the effort

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
Am I resurrecting a dead thread? I hope not.

I really like the idea, but using Google Slides might not be the best option.

Ren'Py https://www.renpy.org/

It's a game engine made in Python specifically for Visual Novels..
When you hear "game engine" you might think is something super complicated, but it's actually not!
Screenshot_20230815-132125_Samsung Internet.jpg

The programming language is really simple, it's basically a screenplay, so you it's not that different from writing a story yourself.
It might be harder than a software where you just click and the layout changes, but I still think it's a better and more efficient alternative. It runs in HTML5, so it will be really easy to implement. Some websites are already using it, itch.io has a lot of visual novels where you don't even need to download anything.

And also I don't like Google.

Piisfun

Playful Spacetime Dragon
Allowing Iframe embedding is the website equivalent of allowing users to inject unsigned code.

This would be a major security issue, so... NO.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Allowing Iframe embedding is the website equivalent of allowing users to inject unsigned code.

This would be a major security issue, so... NO.

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS A DANGEROUS EMBEDDING, CONSTITUTING A MAJOR SECURITY THREAT!

Well, granted the forum code looks complicated as fuck. I don't know how old the code is, but it restrict embedding source without using content security policy.

d.VIDEO_PROVIDERS = [{
test_regex: /^.*((youtu.be)|(youtube.com))\/((v\/)|(\/u\/\w\/)|(embed\/)|(watch\?))?\??v?=?([^#&\?]*).*/,
url_regex: /(?:https?:\/\/)?(?:www\.)?(?:m\.)?(?:youtube\.com|youtu\.be)\/(?:watch\?v=|embed\/)?([0-9a-zA-Z_\-]+)(.+)?/g,
url_text: "MEDIA=youtube]$1/MEDIA]",
html: '<iframe width="640" height="360" src="{url}&wmode=opaque&rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>',
provider: "youtube"

It might be easier to implement now with new tags.

While I don't care about the feature anymore, I don't like that the first fourth lines of the post get ignored like that

Last edited: