"SYSTEMS", Floating Sceens, Skills and levels, YAY or NAY

Do you like "systems" (gamification of power)?

• Total voters
For reference:
"One of the reasons as to why I despise systems in novels is that they are mainly used to make useless MCs viable. People who should have no right to even raise a sword are catapulted into positions of power in virtue of mere numbers despite their stupidity and shortcomings.

PS To add injury to insult, the competitive spirit seems low in their respective worlds."

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
The first time this bird read a LitRPG it was interested. It had never seen anything like it before, and therefore, it found the approach refreshing. The second time, a repeat of the System of the first time, was not so interesting, but the chick still had hopes. The third and beyond it learned that System literature is quite often a repeat of itself of big numbers displayed in spreadsheets that make little sense, abilities that, like in games, you have many but rarely use all of them, so you collect them all but whether they are of use or not it is up to the authors poor memory spam, or poor planing skills, just like poor planned games where you spread your points everywhere but only a few things are meta.

While the genre itself is not to blame, its redemption suffers, perhaps due to the immaturity of most authors who write it. While this chick does not purposefully avoid the genre, since it believes it could find something appealing, it is frequently disappointed with the content it finds than not, requiring it to turn its suspension of disbelief filters to such high levels that it would be unable to give an opinion about what it has read.

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
I hate LitRPGs, they are way more unreasonable than the isekai genre... I know people might disagree with me about the comparison, but in terms of realness, we are less likely to get a floating screen in our faces that gives us superpowers, than be hit by a truck and sent into another world. Hahahahaha~!

2wordsperminute

I hate LitRPGs, they are way more unreasonable than the isekai genre... I know people might disagree with me about the comparison, but in terms of realness, we are less likely to get a floating screen in our faces that gives us superpowers, than be hit by a truck and sent into another world. Hahahahaha~!
Does fiction, especially fantasy, have to be realistic? Isn't reading fiction an escape from reality?

QuercusMalus

A bad apple...
I think if I decided to do a truly game based story, the skills would all be done via skill tree, where you pick one, or pick the path you want to work on. When relevant (aka when MC levels up and gains a new skill) share the updated skill tree as a separate chapter with a 2 sentence blurb on the skill. Then move on. Probably do similar for party members, but enemies or npcs would allow limited info sharing.