Tips for writing to an influencer or youtuber character, but who is a real douchebag?

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Dude...

Who was that guy who barged into strangers' homes and filmed it live? Even after getting arrested he did it again.

You assume you are dealing with sane people. And in a fair number of cities, the police just won't care.
You assume that it is necessary to use only the extremis of influencers, of which that incredibly minor section has been incredibly overdone. Sometimes people are tired of cynical takes.
I personally would very much want a well-done background that does not cover the absolute dumbest pieces of humanity that is blatantly entitled. Edit: For me, I enjoy having my characters having a modicum of intelligence, and haven't survived for the dumbest reasons, despite deserving a Darwin's Award.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
You assume that it is necessary to use only the extremis of influencers, of which that incredibly minor section has been incredibly overdone. Sometimes people are tired of cynical takes.
I personally would very much want a well-done background that does not cover the absolute dumbest pieces of humanity that is blatantly entitled. Edit: For me, I enjoy having my characters having a modicum of intelligence, and haven't survived for the dumbest reasons, despite deserving a Darwin's Award.
It's a filler arc.
As I stated in the beginning, I don't think the plot really works, but it isn't for me to judge the validity of the original poster's request, merely to fulfill it.

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
look no further. check out the Linus tech tips fiasco. lol

J_Chemist

It sounds like you already have an idea of what you want, just execute. The problem is that most influencers are the asshats you're describing. You're just wanting to showcase the worst ones for clickbait and an easy way to push your personal viewpoint rather than actually doing research and looking at how influencers beyond the level of Jake Paul and that dude arrested in Romania act.

At least, that's what I'm getting from this. While the camera angles may not be savory or might be obviously directed to snatch attention (like the women who wear skimpy shorts and point the camera at their starfish while they deadlift/squat), most are doing so to showcase something important or to show an improvement. Whether it be in form or strength. Others who share their travel experiences do so to hopefully bring other people to the fun locations they've stumbled into, or are doing it to actually show that there's more to do than just the standard attractions.

The people themselves can be rather douchy and may be bad at marketing, but the concept isn't the evil here. So that would be what you may want to lean into- someone who's just trying to share their experience. Look into the white guy who surprises locals in China with his Chinese. It's sometimes clickbaity but the videos are actually pretty cool.

Or make the character out to be an asshole. For that, just reference Jake Paul.

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
It sounds like you already have an idea of what you want, just execute. The problem is that most influencers are the asshats you're describing. You're just wanting to showcase the worst ones for clickbait and an easy way to push your personal viewpoint rather than actually doing research and looking at how influencers beyond the level of Jake Paul and that dude arrested in Romania act.

At least, that's what I'm getting from this. While the camera angles may not be savory or might be obviously directed to snatch attention (like the women who wear skimpy shorts and point the camera at their starfish while they deadlift/squat), most are doing so to showcase something important or to show an improvement. Whether it be in form or strength. Others who share their travel experiences do so to hopefully bring other people to the fun locations they've stumbled into, or are doing it to actually show that there's more to do than just the standard attractions.

The people themselves can be rather douchy and may be bad at marketing, but the concept isn't the evil here. So that would be what you may want to lean into- someone who's just trying to share their experience. Look into the white guy who surprises locals in China with his Chinese. It's sometimes clickbaity but the videos are actually pretty cool.

Or make the character out to be an asshole. For that, just reference Jake Paul.

Actually, what I was looking for was advice on how to write such a character, not to think I was superior to anyone else, or something as stupid as clickbait, I don't need any bad techniques like that to attract readers.

In fact, researching on the subject I could see that they like to push their own merchandise and brand.

Every now and then they say things like subscribing to different tiers and paying for content.

Make promotions with challenges that people can easily get hurt.

Things like that.

I really didn't know who jake paul was, but thanks to this thread he is now one more person I hate on the internet.

Lodur

Eight virgin
I mean... staff or owner can just tell the influencer to leave and not come back if they're making a nuisance of themselves? I can't think of countries where customers can't just get told to get lost by a business? Unless this non-fantasy world isn't much like IRL anyways.
I don't know, how it is regulated in other countries, but in our country they really can't say (if business offers sales or services through Public Offer Agreement, which are virtually all department stores and similar businesses, catering istablisments (maid cafe belongs here), hotels, etc.) some random person to leave, if they don't actively hinder personnel or other customers to do their business and stays in the area of public servise, not intruding areas, designated as "personnel only".

Succubiome

I don't know, how it is regulated in other countries, but in our country they really can't say (if business offers sales or services through Public Offer Agreement, which are virtually all department stores and similar businesses, catering istablisments (maid cafe belongs here), hotels, etc.) some random person to leave, if they don't actively hinder personnel or other customers to do their business and stays in the area of public servise, not intruding areas, designated as "personnel only".
Thanks for the insight, guess I was wrong about how universal this was!

Tempokai

Overworked One
Ah, RedHunter2296, the self-proclaimed "Competitive Professional In Being Ignored." It's always a treat when someone with such a grandiose title graces us with their presence on the forum. Today, our dear RedHunter is seeking advice on how to write a character who's an influencer or, as they eloquently put it, a "real douchebag." Let's dive into this literary masterpiece in the making, shall we?

RedHunter starts by explaining their novel, which features a protagonist with a harem of girls, each from different races, including a fox girl, succubus, angel, and a mermaid. Oh, and the protagonist is now a slime girl. Naturally. They all work in a Tokyo-themed cafeteria created by the protagonist's mother, where employees dress up as monster girls and serve food from around the world. The customers are blissfully ignorant that they're being served by actual monster girls. A brilliant and totally not bizarre premise, right?

Now, after what RedHunter refers to as an "emotional" plot arc (because every epic story about a slime girl harem needs one), they want to introduce a "simple filler arc." Enter the influencer! Apparently, this influencer's only purpose is to annoy everyone in the cafeteria for several days in a row. Groundbreaking, really.

But here comes the catch: RedHunter admits they have no clue how these influencers, who'd "sell their own mothers for likes," actually behave. Ah, the classic "I have no idea what I'm writing about, but let's give it a shot" approach.

Well, RedHunter, fear not. I shall grace you with my infinite wisdom on how to write this character:

Step 1: Make them superficial. Your influencer should care more about their selfie angles than world peace.

Step 2: Amp up the entitlement. They should expect everything for free because they have "followers."

Step 3: Throw in some ridiculous demands. Like, they want a latte with almond milk from an almond that was hugged by a unicorn.

Step 4: Constantly self-promote. Have them say things like, "OMG, do you know who I am? Google me!"

Step 5: Make them ignorant. Have your influencer mispronounce foreign dishes and act shocked when they aren't served sushi at a medieval monster-themed cafe.

There you have it, RedHunter. Your influencer character is ready to annoy the life out of your poor monster girls. Just remember to keep your readers wondering why they're still reading your story. Happy writing!
I agree with AI here.