Your first Novel SHOULD Suck

Nerodith

I... I published my first story... :blob_teary:

That being said, I do think critism is important. Practicing is great, but it doesn't do everything. We can sometimes be blind to our own weaknesses, so having a third party pointing them out can be of a huge help.

CautiousTitan

Tentacle, Merchant, and Telekinesis Expert
I agree with this topic 100%. When you release your first novel, it's about getting feedback, improving, and putting out a better novel. It's irrational to expect your first novel to be great. However, your first novel can still be good. Be proud you published it cause most people dont!

Jemini

It is better to not publish your first works in the first place. You are still unfamiliar with the medium so your first attempts are going to be more like experiments than actual work.

That's more or less what I did. NOBODY has even seen the first novel I tried to write except for me. From there, I went on to writing a whole bunch of little mini stories that I shared with another community. That was how I honed my skills. Then, finally, 8 years after I first made my failed attempt at writing a novel that was seen by no-one, I am on an LCD forum thread discussing Death Mage, and some crazy keeps saying "this demands a fan-fic" for every crazy concept or comment somebody makes. I decide to take up the challenge for a few of those.

From this, I discovered my writing skills have become seriously good in the 8 years of practice I had. This is what gave me the confidence necessary to actually make another attempt at a full novel-length story. I started off by posting some of my Death Mage fan-fics, but then I tried my hand at writing a full length novel again and posted it here to ScribbleHub, and I was blown away by how well it did. It's usually winding up in the top 20 or so on the site. Before the trending list metrics were changed, it would even make the top 10 quite often.

This is the kind of training and practice it takes to produce a work like that. It seriously took me 8 years of practice to be able to do this well, and I am still learning new things as I write now.

DivineEternal1

I agree with this. The first story I wrote had tons of flaws, and most of the written reviews it got over on Royal Road were less than stellar(no one reviewed on Scribblehub). Do I regret writing it? No. Does it suck to get a bunch of two star reviews? Yes! But my writing wouldn't be what it is today if I hadn't written it. I know I still have a long way to go, but I'm much better because of it and the couple of stories I wrote after.

tahu653

so, right now i am posting my second story regularly, and have buried my first one. i just feel unsatisfied with the way I had wrote it am going to rewrite it at a later date. I find that the criticisms are good in most cases, and while I may not necessarily agree with all of them, i would rather get them than not. sometimes its hard to take a step back from yourself and your work and see the imperfections in the finish. those other view points have helped me and my writing grow faster than i thought it could. for every person, the reasoning will be different, but i know that i am part of the group that wants and accepts criticisms on my writing. that way the future stories i write can be better and grander.

OneSixSeven

Advocate of Headpatting and Handholding
If you don't have experience writing fanfiction before writing an original work, then yes. Your first work sucks lol.

Don't look at me. It's a normal thing.

D4isuke

Depressed Pervert who loves writing good smut.
I can feel the pain, taste the pain, and fancy the pain. My first writing should've been a fanfiction because my first work sucks so bad.