Have any of you heard of web novel? cause All i hear is RR and SH

Do you like web novel and have you heard of it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

COLOC_Kid

morphing-state
if you haven't heard of web novel cause if not check it out

(P.S I WANT YOU TO READ MARVEL:A GODS JOURNEY) one of the best books I ever read I think

Last edited:

LostLibrarian

"Have you heard of web novel" is like asking "Have you heard of Mc Donalds".

Nearly everyone knows it which is why most don't speak about it anymore. A lot of the people who care think it's shit as the working environment is bad and the product is subpar. But the majority will still quietly use it due to convenience, so nothing will change anyway.

So yeah, we heard about it.

LostLibrarian

Here, I have some nice material on why you should absolutely avoid webnovel, especially as an author.
Though most of this has to do with getting his work stolen.
There isn't really any reason to not post the beginning of your work there for free and link back to your patreon or homepage.

Yeah, that site has some really bad business practices, especially in their contracts. But throwing away the entire userbase full of potential readers is another extreme based on emotions...

Malonymous

There isn't really any reason to not post the beginning of your work there for free and link back to your patreon or homepage.
I thought they didn't allow external links like that?
Also is it recommended to post only the bare minimum in case your novel gets stolen later on, and WN can only claim copyright on it if you sign a contract? Or does it not really matter because they might do whatever anyway :blob_sweat:

LostLibrarian

I thought they didn't allow external links like that?
And you think they go through all small stories without contract and check for that? Oo

Also is it recommended to post only the bare minimum in case your novel gets stolen later on, and WN can only claim copyright on it if you sign a contract? Or does it not really matter because they might do whatever anyway :blob_sweat:
I mean in the worst case they'll do whatever they want anyway.
Not posting anything is more towards getting your readers to leave webnovel and look elsewhere for your stuff.

As long as you post without contract, they don't get the copyright. And the more you post, the harder it'll be for some other author to copycat you (which isn't really webnovels fault, they just don't act out against it).

So in the end, posting there might get you a few readers and others have it harder to copy your work. But of course, that might still not help.

There are also RR stories pirated and sold on Amazon.
Such things happen, no matter the site.
The question is just, how fast will the site act (if at all)...

Daitengu

Eh, I can't trust webnovel. Chinese services are constantly being found to funnel, or backdoor user info to the CCP. Even Zoom had a CCP spy handing over user info and banning users of people who talk bad about them.

COLOC_Kid

morphing-state
Eh, I can't trust webnovel. Chinese services are constantly being found to funnel, or backdoor user info to the CCP. Even Zoom had a CCP spy handing over user info and banning users of people who talk bad about them.
CCP is bad but at least read one book most probobly a fan fic *chough* A God's Journey* cough*

RavensDagger

Actually, there are good reasons not to post anything there. Their EULA basically implies that by posting on their site, you're giving them your story's copyright.
The moment you post, the story no longer belongs to you.
That means no publishing it as a novel, no selling the audio rights, no... anything. It's theirs.

I could be wrong about that, but there are a lot of scam warnings about the site.

COLOC_Kid

morphing-state
And you think they go through all small stories without contract and check for that? Oo

I mean in the worst case they'll do whatever they want anyway.
Not posting anything is more towards getting your readers to leave webnovel and look elsewhere for your stuff.

As long as you post without contract, they don't get the copyright. And the more you post, the harder it'll be for some other author to copycat you (which isn't really webnovels fault, they just don't act out against it).

So in the end, posting there might get you a few readers and others have it harder to copy your work. But of course, that might still not help.

There are also RR stories pirated and sold on Amazon.
Such things happen, no matter the site.
The question is just, how fast will the site act (if at all)...
Btw, why does everyone complain when amazon takes your work they legit tell you that RoyalRoad is part of amazon You signed up for It like for real?

COLOC_Kid

morphing-state
"Have you heard of web novel" is like asking "Have you heard of Mc Donalds".

Nearly everyone knows it which is why most don't speak about it anymore. A lot of the people who care think it's shit as the working environment is bad and the product is subpar. But the majority will still quietly use it due to convenience, so nothing will change anyway.

So yeah, we heard about it.
good to know

RavensDagger

what do you mean Royalroad is a part of amazon an affiliate at least.

Only an advertising affiliate.
1611606981223.png

1611606993440.png

That's Kana, (one of) the owners of Royal Road.

The only affiliation between RR and Amazon is through their advertising program. Amazon advertises books on RR. That's it.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Only an advertising affiliate.
View attachment 6063

View attachment 6064

That's Kana, (one of) the owners of Royal Road.

The only affiliation between RR and Amazon is through their advertising program. Amazon advertises books on RR. That's it.
bleh. I wouldn't put it past Kanadaj to be doing something dirty somewhere. Dude can be a snake if he doesn't like you. But that doesn't make him any different from anyone else in a position of authority. I also think Tony has been blatantly biased against me on one occasion, but then with their large workloads, I also accept they have to pull rank and pick a few favorites here and there if only for stress reducing reasons.

RavensDagger

wow ok my bad

but... why can amazon steal content then

(P.S Jeff bezos isn't richest person no more)

Amazon can't. It's illegal.

What can happen is that some jerks steal someone's content and post it on Amazon as if it was their own. Recently, some jerks have been stealing stories from Royal Road, but they could just as easily take those stories from Scribble Hub.

They grab the story, give it a cheap cover, sometimes change the name, then post them on Amazon as if they're the author.

It's not too hard to get those stories removed, but it does require that someone notices.