How much do you like smut?

scribesaga

Serious question lol.

I've written lots of smut, although I always try to include an actual story with character development, and play with other themes during such endeavors. Recently I've taken the time to write more clean romance, and adventure stuff as well. One thing I've noticed, my smut always gets hundreds of views every day, although few followers and active readers. while my romance gets maybe a hundred views at most a day, sometimes much less, but a lot more active readers? Maybe my smut just isn't good lol, or it's not smut enough? I'm just wondering if people actually enjoy reading smut, and how down and dirty are readers expecting it to be?

thank you.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Hot blooded Romance is always the best for me. The intense passion of having intimacy through an act is what drives me to enjoy smut. Though smut for the sake of it is just plain. And for me, romance without smut can also be very plain. *This is preference though. There are people who don't like smut in their stories. This is heresy, though!* :blob_catflip:

Like we like to believe we would wait for intimacy, but in reality when people are in love. They will do it. Sooner than later. Usually. And to me, that is what smut allows me to see. I don't care about the dirty bits, just the emotions involved. This is where smut can fail at too. It can be dirty yet not connect enough for the people to stay.:blob_aww: So the plot is very important too.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
Well, I consider my story to be borderline since there are multiple explicit scenes, but the plot presence is significant. And I do get both an active reader base and a decent amount of views. What I also noticed is that quite a few of my referrals come from searches, and not just from reading lists.

Which, I would assume, means that there is a significant amount of readers who simply don't register, and rely on google or SH search to find the story. Which also might boost the page views as they have to manually check your page in order to find out if you have posted the next chapter. While subscribers can see it without visiting and therefore hitting your pageview counter.

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
I love it, I write it, I breathe it, and live for it.
Will consume your smuts with reckless abandon.

What I like about smut, much like real life sex (tho i don't partake in it anymore due to crippling fear of corona), is the emotional connection and closeness the act facilitates. We can all be happy and hold hands maybe share a kiss, but sex is what solidifies the feeling to a whole 'nother level. It's the primitive connection between people and the new faces we see from the characters. Smut helps in developing characters while doing the nasty, because of the intimacy.

If it's futa smut, AW LAWD HELP ME

RayneStorm

I am not a fan of smut. I like the slow burn romance. The moment they get into bed is the moment I lose interest in the story. I avoid any story tagged with smut in it. But I think it has more to do with your target audience. Smut readers tend to read very quickly so they might not leave many comments or reviews because they're too busy going to the next chapter to stop and think about leaving a comment. Adventure readers do seem to be more likely to engage with the writer while Romance readers are notorious for finishing one book and immediately going to the next. It really might have nothing to do with the quality of your writing and be more of a reader thing
Hot blooded Romance is always the best for me. The intense passion of having intimacy through an act is what drives me to enjoy smut. Though smut for the sake of it is just plain. And for me, romance without smut can also be very plain. *This is preference though. There are people who don't like smut in their stories. This is heresy, though!* :blob_catflip:

Like we like to believe we would wait for intimacy, but in reality when people are in love. They will do it. Sooner than later. Usually. And to me, that is what smut allows me to see. I don't care about the dirty bits, just the emotions involved. This is where smut can fail at too. It can be dirty yet not connect enough for the people to stay.:blob_aww: So the plot is very important too.
Sooner than later...? My aroace brain cannot compute. The dirty bits of a romance do nothing for me but I do like the emotional parts. That connection intrigues me more while sex scenes in books tend to be repetitive... at least to me. A slow burn romance with the push and pull of emotions and conflict is what really gets me to keep reading. I will however admit that smut has the ability to go into places and situations that regular romance can't which could be interesting given the right story. I have no suggestions for that though. I don't read smut

D

Deleted member 63243

One thing I've also noticed is a peak rise in girls-love smut. I'm into that too lol, but is there any room left for straight romance? or hardcore shaft in the naughty bits action?
Well, if you'd like, I have a story so far (eldritch tentacles thing) and it's male lead lol so gonna direct ya to my profile, there's a link there if you want to take a read!

EDIT : I think I should recommend ERP (Ero Role Play) here coz it is fun! But yeah, finding people to RP with is a chore

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Serious question lol.

I've written lots of smut, although I always try to include an actual story with character development, and play with other themes during such endeavors. Recently I've taken the time to write more clean romance, and adventure stuff as well. One thing I've noticed, my smut always gets hundreds of views every day, although few followers and active readers. while my romance gets maybe a hundred views at most a day, sometimes much less, but a lot more active readers? Maybe my smut just isn't good lol, or it's not smut enough? I'm just wondering if people actually enjoy reading smut, and how down and dirty are readers expecting it to be?

thank you.
To me its not good smut unless you can accurately describe the way tongue-fucking a woman makes their toes curl. How they grab at your hair and push up against your face to take you deeper.

Otherwise, is it even smut? Be dirty, vulgar, nasty. Let your Characters fuck each other into a coma.

Make them wake up the next day saying, "you dont understand. I legitimately thought I was going to die via orgasm"

Anyway, yeah. That's how I like my smut.

If you just tell me that the MC stuck his dick in a woman, get the fuck outta here. I dont need no, 'moffu-moffu sounds came from her mouth' or any 'it feels so good inside~ ❤️'

None of these, " Aiwa, you're killing me~!"

No. Give me that, 'their bodies were like fine instruments, reacting with the sweetest of cries at my every touch'

I cant get hard at otherwise.

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
One thing I've also noticed is a peak rise in girls-love smut. I'm into that too lol, but is there any room left for straight romance? or hardcore shaft in the naughty bits action?
FUTANARI IS YOUR ANSWER, THE LAWD COMMANDS IT
To me its not good smut unless you can accurately describe the way tongue-fucking a woman makes their toes curl. How they grab at your hair and push up against your face to take you deeper.

Otherwise, is it even smut? Be dirty, vulgar, nasty. Let your Characters fuck each other into a coma.

Make them wake up the next day saying, "you dont understand. I legitimately thought I was going to die via orgasm"

Anyway, yeah. That's how I like my smut.

If you just tell me that the MC stuck his dick in a woman, get the fuck outta here. I dont need no, 'moffu-moffu sounds came from her mouth' or any 'it feels so good inside~ ❤️'

None of these, " Aiwa, you're killing me~!"

No. Give me that, 'their bodies were like fine instruments, reacting with the sweetest of cries at my every touch'

I cant get hard at otherwise.
Fines instruments? That's erotica, not smut...

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Sooner than later...? My aroace brain cannot compute. The dirty bits of a romance do nothing for me but I do like the emotional parts. That connection intrigues me more while sex scenes in books tend to be repetitive... at least to me. A slow burn romance with the push and pull of emotions and conflict is what really gets me to keep reading. I will however admit that smut has the ability to go into places and situations that regular romance can't which could be interesting given the right story. I have no suggestions for that though. I don't read smut
Well, if one is in a relationship it will lead to sex. Any relationship is like that. Of course there are those who don't find the sexual act as a need. But for regular folks, every romance leads to sex. This is how families are made.

It is also a great way to relieve stress and other things I won't get into. For me it is the solidification of your commitment to one another. Sex without romance is irrelevant to me too. It has to have the emotional backing.

A smut can have the emotional pull of a slow burn romance. Just because they have sex doesn't mean the world is fun and dandy. It just shows a part of every couple out there. *There are always the exceptions.*

In fact, to me a slow burning romance fizzles out. I get frustrated, but that is who I am. I like the passion of a good steamy scene.

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
My book Son Of Thrace has that, there's body manipulation towards the end. I'm thinking of doing something similar to a new character, but haven't decided.
Body manipulation? Like replacing body parts? Like cyberpunk upgrades? Adpetus Mechanicus?
Well, if one is in a relationship it will lead to sex. Any relationship is like that. Of course there are those who don't find the sexual act as a need. But for regular folks, every romance leads to sex. This is how families are made.

It is also a great way to relieve stress and other things I won't get into. For me it is the solidification of your commitment to one another. Sex without romance is irrelevant to me too. It has to have the emotional backing.

A smut can have the emotional pull of a slow burn romance. Just because they have sex doesn't mean the world is fun and dandy. It just shows a part of every couple out there. *There are always the exceptions.*

In fact, to me a slow burning romance fizzles out. I get frustrated, but that is who I am. I like the passion of a good steamy scene.
Hol' up. Wait a minute. Aroace are regular folks too... Pls don't do them like that.

RayneStorm

The solidification of committment in a sex scene is what I can handle. I can understand people in a relationship wanting to do horizontal cardio, the devil's tango, etc. What I don't get is one night stands. I think my turn off is that the last few series I've watched, the sex scene was like the end of the tension in the story. The characters started sleeping together and the plot just sort of ended but the series continued on. The story ended with the climax in the bed but no story payoff. And I think a good romance writer can invoke steamy passion while the characters still have their clothes on. Every climax needs a build up. One extreme example was a mystery. The two detectives slept together and then every scene with them ended in fade to blacks and then the villain was just caught... somehow and we got a final sex scene. It was so jarring. The tone completely changed after they had sex

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
The solidification of committment in a sex scene is what I can handle. I can understand people in a relationship wanting to do horizontal cardio, the devil's tango, etc. What I don't get is one night stands. I think my turn off is that the last few series I've watched, the sex scene was like the end of the tension in the story. The characters started sleeping together and the plot just sort of ended but the series continued on. The story ended with the climax in the bed but no story payoff. And I think a good romance writer can invoke steamy passion while the characters still have their clothes on. Every climax needs a build up
Those turn me off too! I don't understand one night stands too. I hate when i see them. So i personally don't write them. And you are right! Write should be able to do steam even with clothes on.

Though for me... I rather them off!!! xP Just how my silly brain works. But i understand where you come from. My stories are plot driven rather than smut though. But love those smut scenes.~

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
The solidification of committment in a sex scene is what I can handle. I can understand people in a relationship wanting to do horizontal cardio, the devil's tango, etc. What I don't get is one night stands. I think my turn off is that the last few series I've watched, the sex scene was like the end of the tension in the story. The characters started sleeping together and the plot just sort of ended but the series continued on. The story ended with the climax in the bed but no story payoff. And I think a good romance writer can invoke steamy passion while the characters still have their clothes on. Every climax needs a build up
The problem here is - there is no set consensus on tags.
There are always groups of people who consider any sufficiently explicit story to be smut (and not just Adult or R-18 for example) while others would draw a line between romantic conclusion\part of a healthy lifestyle and the gratuitous nightstands.

Sometimes it is simply easier to slap the tag and avoid issues, knowing that some readers would skip the story.