What tiny detail in stories irritates you?

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
For me it's chapters that are unnumbered, whenever I see chapters having only a title and no number i'm just thinking 'bruh just number the chapters so it's easier to remember where I left off.'

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
I don't mind unnumbered chapters, what I dislike are overnumbered chapters like

chapter 2.020
chapter 2.050
chapter 2.1

and chapters that are named after the character whos pov is followed, which can give several chapters in a row named the same

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It irritates me when people use it's instead of its or when they use apostrophes to form plurals.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
It irritates me when people use it's instead of its or when they use apostrophes to form plurals.
Sometimes autocorrect on your phone just wants to fuck with you though.
Me: Types it right
Autocorrect: You sure about that?
Me: Ffs. Goes back to fix what autocorrect thinks is right.
Autocorrect: Bruh, I’m right, you’re wrong.
Me: Rages uncontrollably trying to fix it back to the correct way repeatedly.
Autocorrect: So you’ve chosen war I see.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer

chapter 2.020
chapter 2.050
chapter 2.1

and chapters that are named after the character whos pov is followed, which can give several chapters in a row named the same
I do not know what was going through my head when I wanted to name my chapters Chapter X Act X ~Act Name~ Part X ~Part Name~
This is why I don't shorten words (ex: I use 'it is', 'they will', 'he would') makes it easier to not make silly mistakes like that. I do still have to use it when I'm portraying certain characters as the way they speak is important.

Reactions: CL

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
This is why I don't shorten words (ex: I use 'it is', 'they will', 'he would') makes it easier to not make silly mistakes like that. I do still have to use it when I'm portraying certain characters as the way they speak is important.
*squints* don't? I'm?

• Haha
D

Deleted member 45782

info dump when its not needed at the moment.
extra long sentences that could be better split, so they don't sound like run-off or incomplete thoughts.

• Love

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺
Ironically, I'd rather have a named chapter than a chapter that's just numbered. Chapter 1 is definitely self explanatory. However, when you're trying to find that one scene you were thinking about and you're like...

Well, is it Chapter 35 or Chapter 63? No wait, was it later than that? Chapter 233????

Oops, this thread is about mildly irritating things. Uhhhh... Not being able to write emojis in the SH writing thingy. :sweating_profusely:

Last edited:
  • Haha

CL

chapter 2.020
chapter 2.050
chapter 2.1

Who does that?

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺
Who does that?
do I think I bother remembering the name of every novel I dropped?
Oof. It's common enough. Usually in the shape of Book:Chapter:(Part). It's kind of efficient, actually. It makes it easier to write a full title since you don't have to waste space saying 'Vol II, Chapter 14, A Litany of Curses' or whatever. It's only a few letters, but '2.14 Strange Waters' is less clunky.

CL

Oof. It's common enough. Usually in the shape of Book:Chapter:(Part). It's kind of efficient, actually. It makes it easier to write a full title since you don't have to waste space saying 'Vol II, Chapter 14, A Litany of Curses' or whatever. It's only a few letters, but '2.14 Strange Waters' is less clunky.
Please forgive me for I'm drinking, so my mind isn't well adjusted at the moment. I, honestly, shouldn't be talking while under the influence, but, I'm curious.

Do you, or anybody, believe volumes should go under the same novel or are they something that should be listed as another novel? If there are enough chapters to become a volume, wouldn't it be better to give it its own personal space away from the first big chunk of the story?

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺
Please forgive me for I'm drinking, so my mind isn't well adjusted at the moment. I, honestly, shouldn't be talking while under the influence, but, I'm curious.

Do you, or anybody, believe volumes should go under the same novel or are they something that should be listed as another novel? If there are enough chapters to become a volume, wouldn't it be better to give it its own personal space away from the first big chunk of the story?
Fuck, took me long enough. https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/how-to-approach-posting-sequels.6241/post-155363

This was my answer to that question on another thread. To summarize, if it's the same story, the only reason to make a new 'Series' is if you changed a lot of tags and genres in the gap between volumes. You don't want people getting the wrong idea and dropping angry reviews.

For the record, I'm changing my answer regarding the OP. I'll be annoyed if anyone makes six 'Series' about the same character, in the same genre, doing the same things over and over again. I get a little annoyed even if it's different characters in different settings running through the same plot over and over, but not as much as I should.

• Love

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Ironically, I'd rather have a named chapter than a chapter that's just numbered. Chapter 1 is definitely self explanatory. However, when you're trying to find that one scene you were thinking about and you're like...

Well, is it Chapter 35 or Chapter 63? No wait, was it later than that? Chapter 233????

Oops, this thread is about mildly irritating things. Uhhhh... Not being able to write emojis in the SH writing thingy. :sweating_profusely:
I'm the opposite, i find it easier to remember a scene in a numbered chapter, like 'Oh the protag did this cool shit in chapter 8' but when it's named i'm like 'Shit did this guy polish his sword in 'Under the Mangrove tree' or 'Undying Flame of the Raspberries'? It's better to have both a number and a name anyways.

Derin_Edala

You're writing fic on your phone???

YOU MUST HAVE THE THUMBS OF A GOD.

MaiStarberries

There were days when I did writing on my phone, and still I say that you must have the patience of a saint.

My answer to the question: Everything when I'm writing it myself. Many plans have fallen apart because I thought of a very specific "wait but why didn't X happen" or "why didn't Y do this" type of question and felt the need to write out this "plot hole" that I would never have thought of or cared about if it was someone else's story.

Also, when characters keep secrets and their reasoning is "I was going to tell you when the time was right." I will take literally any other reason, even if it's a bad reason that the character thinks is a good reason, but "when the time is right" is author lingo for "I needed this to stay secret until a dramatically appropriate time and couldn't think of a reason why."