Man, Mankind, or Humanity?

Kweh?

• Total voters

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
As far as references to our species go, which one do you think should be used more often in fiction and real world talk? Does gendered language with all its connotations rile you up at all? Do you sympathize with people who do have a problem with gendered language even if you aren't personally bothered? Or do you just not care?

In terms of fiction, Whatever rhythmicly sounds better in the pros that i am writing, or the background of the character saying it.

Generally, i like humanity better. Purely because i like the sound it makes.

As for the wider question. There are too many things to unpack so... I am too lazy to comment on that.

Last edited:

SailusGebel

I think you should use every word, but humanity more often. The reason is, I'm not a native English speaker, and it's the best translation.
No.
No.
I don't care.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
As far as references to our species go, which one do you think should be used more often in fiction and real world talk? Does gendered language with all its connotations rile you up at all? Do you sympathize with people who do have a problem with gendered language even if you aren't personally bothered? Or do you just not care?
Gender language does not rile me up, I have greater issues to care about. And besides for every minute one complains about something so trivial like gendered language is one minute away from their goals be it writing a book, or redistributing the wealth and punishing the 1%. I do not sympathize with them, and they should get a life. And Womankind sounds stupid

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺🌈
It's inaccurate.

Man means male or humans? Then what if you're talking about a male of another species? If you call it a Man, are you wrong?

Mankind is the same, but weirder. Are you lumping all males into a single species?

Humanity... Is also a fail. Because it refers to both the species and a philosophy. Someone who's human can be inhumane, and non-humans can be humane if they want as well. It's very annoying.

Earthlings and Terrans are a common alternative, but they also don't work. What if Earth's population mutates or something to the point where humans aren't the only species on Earth? What if aliens come to Earth and naturalize themselves there? Are dogs Terrans? Dolphins? It's the same problem with referring to all black people as African Americans. Like... What if you aren't from either of those places?

Well, I usually just use Humans, though. It's just easier that way. Maybe other languages have a better word, but I don't speak 'em.

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
It's inaccurate.

Man means male or humans? Then what if you're talking about a male of another species? If you call it a Man, are you wrong?

Mankind is the same, but weirder. Are you lumping all males into a single species?

Humanity... Is also a fail. Because it refers to both the species and a philosophy. Someone who's human can be inhumane, and non-humans can be humane if they want as well. It's very annoying.

Earthlings and Terrans are a common alternative, but they also don't work. What if Earth's population mutates or something to the point where humans aren't the only species on Earth? What if aliens come to Earth and naturalize themselves there? Are dogs Terrans? Dolphins? It's the same problem with referring to all black people as African Americans. Like... What if you aren't from either of those places?

Well, I usually just use Humans, though. It's just easier that way. Maybe other languages have a better word, but I don't speak 'em.
Your response reminds me of someone who spends an entire week studying for a Friday morning quiz in an elective class that doesn't count towards their final grade point average

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
I mean, why bother taking the class if you don't care about it? It doesn't count towards your grade.
Usually, in my case anyway, its a space filler because I was required to have a certain amount of hours per semester to qualify for a specific grant or scholarship. Others, its because they need a specific class in a specific area that isn't part of their major, but is still required, something that is usually filled by an elective.
It's Cipiteca, it comes with the territory.
Oh. My bad then.

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺🌈
Usually, in my case anyway, its a space filler because I was required to have a certain amount of hours per semester to qualify for a specific grant or scholarship. Others, its because they need a specific class in a specific area that isn't part of their major, but is still required, something that is usually filled by an elective.

Oh. My bad then.
Seems like a waste of time.
Too bad they don't offer any classes that are even remotely interesting. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
Imagine being such a loser that this is considered an emotional subject. I'm not a commie either, so I'll just stick to writing books.

Meh. I personally don't care which term is used but I'm aware that more than a few people make a fracas over it. I'm also aware of the fact that there's people that have experinced life in a way that it makes sense that it would cause a fracas due to very specific traumas or their upbringing.

I prefer humankind or just humans for the same reason @Cipiteca396 does to be honest. Efficiency of language. If it prevents me from stepping on someone's toes without harming my work in any way, all the better.

bigbear51

Meh. I personally don't care which term is used but I'm aware that more than a few people make a fracas over it. I'm also aware of the fact that there's people that have experinced life in a way that it makes sense that it would cause a fracas due to very specific traumas or their upbringing.

I prefer humankind or just humans for the same reason @Cipiteca396 does to be honest. Efficiency of language. If it prevents me from stepping on someone's toes without harming my work in any way, all the better.
I'm not too worried about stepping on their toes. Surely if they complain I can just call them trolls. That seems to be what everyone else here does anyway.

Varstark

I grew up watching Lord of the Rings repeatedly, so Man, Men or Mankind just makes it a mite bit cooler for me, and it feels very classical. That, or Terran, because I replayed the Starcraft campaigns a little too much.

Gendered language being offensive is very much a modern, cult-ish kneejerk, I think.

Maldon

I think that anyone that will get mad if you use "man" or "mankind" is either a troll or trying to make noise for something else, not even the most extreme sjws are bored enough to care that someone used those words intead of something more inclusive in a novel. The ones that tend to be bothered by those words like that are more focused on their wider use.

I think the whole gender thing is dumb and horoscope stuff though.

Jemini

Technically speaking, the word "man" is gender-neutral. The only issue is that the gendered term, "werman," the male equivalent to "woman," was deleted from the English language. You can reach your own conclusions as to what this says about society.

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
Technically speaking, the word "man" is gender-neutral. The only issue is that the gendered term, "werman," the male equivalent to "woman," was deleted from the English language. You can reach your own conclusions as to what this says about society.

I did not know that... Welp, time to do another ill-advised research expedition into the deepest darkest corners of academia.