Delete this request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Forget I requested anything and please don't respond to this thread. Thanks.

Last edited:

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
If people wanted to put a review on their every rating, they would. This will only decrease the amount of ratings.

And if a troll wants to give a 1 star, they will, perhaps even harsher with a review.

Agentt

Thighs
I feel like that would discourage readers a lot, especially because even with good intentions, readers most often don't know what review to write. It's like if I ask you why you are happy today. You most probably won't be able to describe it. You are just happy. Nothing bad happened. Everything is usual.

Plus, you rather have a few 1 stars than have your reviews be filled with bots saying, "lol cringe"
If your story is good enough, that one star will soon be taken over by the true ratings, so don't worry

longer

Balls
People already struggle to get normal reviews and even ratings in the first place. Putting a review requirement for ratings would lead to an almost non-existent amount of ratings for most series. I think this would be genuine negative for smaller series which, at best, will receive 5 stars with "I love genderbent giant futa cock" and 1 stars with "cringe mc not alphachad like me."

Writing a review is also very daunting for the average reader for a number of reasons. They might not be able to properly articulate their feelings about a novel. They are unfamiliar with writing reviews. Or it's just a plain hassle. Making it a requirement for ratings might encourage a minority to write. But the majority will now just not rate due to difficulty. Also if you're looking for tips, a lot of the times readers will write it in comments of chapters, not in reviews.

And if this post is the result of unusual 1 star reviews then please understand that bots and absurdly unreasonable people exist. If you've ever read reviews for anime or film in general, people will leave some of the most mindboggling reviews. Such as 1 star for Oregairu because "Hachiman didn't stay a cynical social outcast that mirrors my own edgy anti-social fantasy."

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
They might not be able to properly articulate their feelings about a novel
bingo!. it can be very hard to articulate anything more than very basic reviews, especially the sort of deep reviews OP is perhaps hoping their system would prompt (which it wont in reality).

Also if you're looking for tips, a lot of the times readers will write it in comments of chapters, not in reviews.
bullseye!. Pretty much all the novels i read on SH dont have that many, if any, reviews but the chapter comments on a lot of them are very thriving with thanks posts, speculation on plot and characters, readers pointing out spelling mistakes or janky sentences and a lot of stuff that might otherwise appear in a review.

forcing reviews would be a double-sword and just likely result in tons of shitty unhelpful reviews like Longer points out.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Then how an option for the author to require the review independently?>
I don't mind going back to "not rated"

This shouldn't impact anyone who still wants others to give ratings without feedback.

longer

Balls
Then how an option for the author to require the review independently?>
I don't mind going back to "not rated"

This shouldn't impact anyone who still wants others to give ratings without feedback.
Not making it mandatory is good. I support this, though the issue becomes how long it will Tony to implement and how many people will use it.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Not making it mandatory is good. I support this, though the issue becomes how long it will Tony to implement and how many people will use it.
Yeah, I forgot to consider that some people actually like the ratings regardless.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
There is no author that doesn't want to improve their writing. But there is no bargain. They can improve their writing in countless other ways, without compromising their roles as entertainers, as people's pleasers.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Ratings aren't just for the author

And there is the Dropped reading status, so you're still going to see people's dislike for your story without knowing why

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Ratings aren't just for the author

And there is the Dropped reading status, so you're still going to see people's dislike for your story without knowing why
Dropped is fine, but how does having the option to require reviews hurt anyone else?

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Ratings help me know whether the story tends to piss off readers who got invested.
Doesn't seem to help me. I find most of the well rated novels boring and some of the 2-3 star ones pretty good, but if ratings just required reviews the stories would still be rated. Just less of them.
I feel like that would discourage readers a lot, especially because even with good intentions, readers most often don't know what review to write. It's like if I ask you why you are happy today. You most probably won't be able to describe it. You are just happy. Nothing bad happened. Everything is usual.

Plus, you rather have a few 1 stars than have your reviews be filled with bots saying, "lol cringe"
If your story is good enough, that one star will soon be taken over by the true ratings, so don't worry
well with the down votes I guess I'll just live with it lol.

Last edited:

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Doesn't seem to help me. I find most of the well rated novels boring and some of the 2-3 star ones pretty good, but if ratings just required reviews the stories would still be rated. Just less of them.
The same goes for reviews, and not just on SH.
And assuming that ratings and the likes factor into trending, this would also require to figure out "fair" handling of both circumstances, which in turn would be largely reader base dependent and therefor require ongoing adjustment.

Temple

From my own experience comparing RR and SH, my SH readers are 1/3rd of my RR readers, but I have x10 as many ratings and x10 reviews. It's already a struggle getting reviews from SH, and it'll just discourage readers from even trying to give reviews. If a writer turns on that option, I feel like they're just hurting themselves. At that point, might as well just go to RR if feedback is the goal.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
forcing reviews would be a double-sword and just likely result in tons of shitty unhelpful reviews like Longer points out.
The only thing I can say is we don't actually know that, it's a prediction. You could be right, but it's still a prediction. I don't think there is a site that forces them so I wouldn't know.
From my own experience comparing RR and SH, my SH readers are 1/3rd of my RR readers, but I have x10 as many ratings and x10 reviews. It's already a struggle getting reviews from SH, and it'll just discourage readers from even trying to give reviews. If a writer turns on that option, I feel like they're just hurting themselves. At that point, might as well just go to RR if feedback is the goal.
Can't do it with 50% smut. RR would probably ban me if they keep their policy.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Anyway, reread the first post. I've changed it to more accurately reflect my feelings after rethinking it.
I have, and to be honest it feels more like a salty troll now.

The obligation could help against troll ratings and default five stars, at least more than the reading list requirement does. I can, and may or may not do, simply delete the novels in question from the list afterwards, since the rating stays.
But how much trolls matter in low ratings and whether simple appreciation warrants a five star is a topic with more opinions than people.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I have, and to be honest it feels more like a salty troll now.

The obligation could help against troll ratings and default five stars, at least more than the reading list requirement does. I can, and may or may not do, simply delete the novels in question from the list afterwards, since the rating stays.
But how much trolls matter in low ratings and whether simple appreciation warrants a five star is a topic with more opinions than people.
The problem is you can't delete threads you start in this forum. Since i can't take it down, I just left it up there. I'd rather just forget making the request and delete it. Now I'm going to get notifications for a few days. Is it possible to close it?

Temple

I think Wattpad used to be a good place for critiquing smut. Not sure what's up with Wattpad now. Seems like it's going Webnovel way. Really hard to find a place for feedback on smut.

Status
Not open for further replies.