Promotions tips

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
:blob_neutral: Everyone of the heavy hitters know it. Do you think they are for fun here? On RR it is the same. They are just waiting for the new algortihm to be broken and read again, so that they can adjust after the latest update.

The times where SH was a cosy little site are long over. The age of whales has begun.
I don't think that is true. @APieceOfRock got trending without updating for like 3-4 days.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I was also wondering, is Royalroad and scribble connected? It’s as if top novels on Royalroad are also top on scribble
The top dogs are here for money and nothing else. Obviously, they will use all means to defend their position and stay ahead of the curve. Like in real life, they will use their elbows.

Last edited:

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
It’s as if top novels on Royalroad are also top on scribble
More sites uploaded to means more viewers to add to your audience. RR is considered the 'big' site for western WNs, and SH is the easy alternative.

SailusGebel

:blob_neutral: Everyone of the heavy hitters know it. Do you think they are for fun here? On RR it is the same. They are just waiting for the new algortihm to be broken and read again, so that they can adjust after the latest update.

The times where SH was a cosy little site are long over. The age of whales has begun.
I'm kinda confused why you wrote this. It's just you wrote as a tip that we should upload daily, I wanted to hint that it's not like that. Maybe I missed something? Sorry. :blob_dizzy:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I'm kinda confused why you wrote this. It's just you wrote as a tip that we should upload daily, I wanted to hint that it's not like that. Maybe I missed something? Sorry. :blob_dizzy:
It is a generally good tip. the problem is if you compete with the top spots you must beat the trending guys that are kinda self perpetuating at this point. Not as bad as when SH was born. there they were basically always the same as all new views got fed into them.

Trending > more views > more trending > more views

Displacing them isn't easy for a newbie considering how many stories are competing for the top spots these days. You need to be better than 100 other stories. That might be a lot of pressure, so I just gave the general advice.

Five6212

It is a generally good tip. the problem is if you compete with the top spots you must beat the trending guys that are kinda self perpetuating at this point. Not as bad as when SH was born. there they were basically always the same as all new views got fed into them.

Trending > more views > more trending > more views

Displacing them isn't easy for a newbie considering how many stories are competing for the top spots these days. You need to be better than 100 other stories. That might be a lot of pressure, so I just gave the general advice.
Don’t worry, I won’t compete. I’ll just put out the best story I can and promote to the best of my power. Getting up there is possible 😅

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
I don't think that is true. @APieceOfRock got trending without updating for like 3-4 days.
The algo is an enigma. I've hit top 9 trending twice (8th and 2nd) and I post twice a week. First time was on a thursday (I post mon and fri), and I had no new readers and lower than normal views for the three days before. The second time I did post on a wednesday in between for my birthday then trended #2 on Friday.

When I feel I can, I'll post extra chapters to hit those boosts probably, but its still an enigma.

Sebas_Guzman

I'm pretty sure I know a good chunk of how the algorithm works now, personally.
It lets me hit trending with a once a week updated series, pretty consistently.

If you have an already popular series, you can be lax with your uploads. Posting every day is more important when you're starting out and have less options. Just saying this bit so that it's acknowledged that popularity gives you more freedom, as it does in real life.

For you, the biggest thing would be having a more interest-inducing cover. In other words, you need a scribblehub-competitve cover. What's scribblehub-competitive? Go study trending and observe what's the most common feature of the top 50 trending novels.
Your summary... you could probably take out the first paragraph, but I personally don't think blurbs make big differences in niche genres.

A note on your responses to having daily chapters. And I know it's going to read brutal, but imagine that my tone is relaxed. I'm rooting for you to succeed.

I personally dont think you need to go daily. Three days a week is fine. That said, you were pretty quick to shoot it down with your excuses. You want to succeed and get some eyeballs? Your excuses aren't going to work. None of us need to know why you can't do the daily upload, and the faceless readers don't care. This isn't a receive advice-and-justify-why-i-cant-follow-the-advice thread.

If you want to win, your best chances come with playing the metagame that's developed around these sites.
So here's the advice that most of the big guys would suggest: build a backlog. Write out your whole novel if you have to and then upload it in such a way that you play to scribblehub's algorithim or royalroad's. Even a slow writer can win with preparation, strategy, restraint, and patience.

If you dont want the backlog, then you need a more eye-catching cover to maximize the chance of click-through when your weekly release pops up on latest.

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
An extra tip from me.

I published every day for the first 3 weeks. I collected those chapters after months of writing, because I, like you, write slow. That let me build an initial following.

Once you get momentum and have followers and move up in your more niche tags, then you'll get an engine going.

I think the advice of writing what is popular is actually wrong. You need to fill a niche that isn't popular. You won't ever get eyes on your story from anything other than the front page if its just another generic story in the popular topics. It needs draw beyond that.

My story has a few topics that I steadily moved into the lower page numbers for. Then you get discovery from new readers even when you aren't on the front page. (I'm on page 2 for survival). It is still a litrpg isekai as well, but it needs some smaller categories that are easier to nudge your way up.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
An extra tip from me.

I published every day for the first 3 weeks. I collected those chapters after months of writing, because I, like you, write slow. That let me build an initial following.

Once you get momentum and have followers and move up in your more niche tags, then you'll get an engine going.

I think the advice of writing what is popular is actually wrong. You need to fill a niche that isn't popular. You won't ever get eyes on your story from anything other than the front page if its just another generic story in the popular topics.

My story has a few topics that I steadily moved into the lower page numbers for. Then you get discovery from new readers even when you aren't on the front page. (I'm on page 2 for survival).
I got popular by writing what is popular. I literally wrote an isekai in a similar vein as Overlord(ish). Though, the story has been since deleted. Along with most of mine

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
I got popular by writing what is popular. I literally wrote an isekai in a similar vein as Overlord(ish). Though, the story has been since deleted. Along with most of mine
I obviously can't go check it, but I'd say Mad God by Corty is a good example of tagging and topic. Still a fantasy etc, but it has a lot of good niche tags that it shows up first page (now with a few hundred thousand views, but if you dig in those tags, its easily attainable to get to the first handful of pages).

SailusGebel

You need to fill a niche that isn't popular. You won't ever get eyes on your story from anything other than the front page if its just another generic story in the popular topics. It needs draw beyond that.
Nah, you are wrong here. Writing what is popular is a key to a major success. Perhaps if you are aiming for moderate succsess, like getting 50k views or something finding a niche might work.

As for why you are wrong, answer me. Why new generic LitRPG novels keeps sprouting on RR and become popular? Why new generic GL smut or generic fanfics get popular on SH? Though niche tags can help with views, popular genres and tags do all the heavy lifting and attract the majority of readers.

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
Nah, you are wrong here. Writing what is popular is a key to a major success. Perhaps if you are aiming for moderate succsess, like getting 50k views or something finding a niche might work.

As for why you are wrong, answer me. Why new generic LitRPG novels keeps sprouting on RR and become popular? Why new generic GL smut or generic fanfics get popular on SH? Though niche tags can help with views, popular genres and tags do all the heavy lifting and attract the majority of readers.
Personally, I think yes, it has to be popular. You can't just write genericly in those categories though without participating in a lottery. For every BL Smut novel at 100k views there are hundreds with 10 chapters and a few thousand views. If you don't have actual draw, you'll fizzle fast.

Its not hard to have a low tagged draw either. But when people just say write the popular tags, all you're saying is participate in the lottery. Have something unique that also makes your story easy to find. For many stories, its just proper tagging, not changing anything.

The niche tags get you from the level of small up to medium readership, then to go to large from medium you need to be in the big three, isekai, smut, litrpg.

Before I authored, I never would read stories with less than 100k views, and only in popular categories, except for a single niche category I'd rather not share. Just the nature of how I was as a reader, and I suspect most other readers are, is you want to read "popular mainstream stories", but you need to get there somehow.