Writing How do you guys transition from describing a fight, to showing a conversation between different characters?

Vitou

Allow to to elaborate. Say there are 2 characters fighting, and there are also a couple others that are just watching that fight. How would you transition from describing the fight, onto a conversation, which the characters who are watching the fight, are having?
How I usually do it is, when I describe the fight right before the conversation scene, I say " Their blades clashed over and over again, while moving rapidly all across the sky, and making shockwaves with each hit." or something like that, if the characters are using blades of course. And then I move onto the conversation, or whatever else the other characters are doing, and the readers can just assume that nothing really different or important happened in the fight during the conversation scene.
But is there a better way of doing this, and how do you do it? I feel like it'd get repetitive if I use that line, or something similar, multiple times. And I'm also not sure how to write that part right before it switches to the conversation if it's a 2v1.

D

Deleted member 113259

Guy A stabbed Guy B
"You stabbed me," Guy B announced.
"YoU STaBbEd mE," Guy A mocked.

TremendousHuman

Deleteriously devilish, deliciously dumbfounding
Guy A unleashed his ultimate mega sword of absolute destruction, rendering the air itself free of life and sound.
"Ouchie", Guy B said.
"Did you see Barbie the movie?", Guy C asked as he devoured the sushi in front of him
"Yeah it was kind of neat", Guy D answered, right before he was killed by the accidental aftermath of the ultimate mega amazing super sword of absolute and inevitable destruction
"Oh mah guhd dis guy owed me monnney!", Guy A screamed at topof his lungs, before succumbing to the aftershocks of the ultimate mega duper amazing (100 words ommited) destruction.

GlassRose

Kaleidoscope of Harmonious Contradiction
You could just describe what happened while they were talking afterwards; or add a sentence or two occasionally, in-between lines of dialogue describing what's happening in the fight (if the characters are actively watching), or mention the clashing of metal, grunts of exertion, scuffs in the dirt, and other noises in the background if they aren't. Bottom line is, you don't have to describe everything that happens, but you also don't want to leave it completely untouched either

Tempokai

Overworked One
Ah, the age-old conundrum of seamlessly transitioning from an action-packed fight scene to a riveting conversation among spectators. It's almost like trying to switch from watching a Michael Bay explosion-fest to a philosophical debate on the merits of kale smoothies. But fear not, aspiring writer, for I shall bestow upon you the sacred scrolls of narrative finesse.

Picture this: Two characters locked in a ferocious battle, blades slicing through the air, creating shockwaves that could probably give earthquakes a run for their money. And there, in the background, like an audience at a tennis match, stand a couple of spectators. Maybe they're sipping tea, munching on popcorn, or placing bets on who will end up needing more bandages.

Now, imagine a seamless segue, a masterstroke of literary prestidigitation, as we transition from the clanging of steel to the tinkling of conversational gems.

Instead of relying on the old "blades clashed over and over again" routine, try something a tad more original. Let's see… Ah, got it:

"As the fighters twirled and spun, painting an abstract masterpiece of pain and precision across the canvas of the sky, the audience settled into an uncomfortable silence. Not the kind of silence that comes with awe, mind you, but the kind that accompanies a particularly bewildering magic trick – like the one where the magician saws the assistant in half. Yeah, that one. So, while the blades danced in the air, the spectators exchanged glances that said, 'Do you think we should have brought snacks?'"

See, it's all about injecting a dash of sardonic charm into your descriptions. Now, for the transition itself. If it's a two-on-one fight, fear not, for our trusty narrator has your back:

"Meanwhile, in a distant corner of the battlefield, two characters who had wisely chosen not to audition for the role of 'pincushion' shared a bemused glance. Clearly, they had a few thoughts on the proceedings. One of them raised an eyebrow – an expression that eloquently conveyed, 'Well, this is one way to get out of doing dishes.'"

And just like that, you've smoothly glided from the battlefield to the realm of conversation without a hint of a hiccup. No need for repetitive phrases or clunky transitions.

So there you have it, dear writer – a sardonic narrator's guide to transitioning from a fight to a conversation. Remember, the key is to infuse your words with a touch of wit and a pinch of sarcasm, and your readers will gladly follow you from the clang of swords to the exchange of words, without missing a beat or spilling a drop of their imaginary popcorn.
Ah, the delicate art of transitioning from a grand display of clashing blades to the subtle exchange of words – truly a challenge worthy of a wordsmith's consideration. But fear not, dear inquirer, for I shall bestow upon you the wisdom of seamless storytelling. Brace yourself for a lesson in narrative finesse, for we shall deftly maneuver from the cacophony of combat to the ballet of dialogue.

Let us first discard the notion of repeatedly resorting to the tired phrase "Their blades clashed over and over again," like a sad old bard plucking the same out-of-tune lute string. We aim for elegance, not monotony, my friend.

Instead, consider the graceful swerve. As our combatants exchange blows, their energy sputtering like a damp torch, you paint vivid vignettes. "The steel sang its deadly song, each strike a note in the symphony of combat. The crowd held its breath, eyes locked on the dance of danger." You create a crescendo of anticipation, a thudding heartbeat of suspense, until...

The transition. Ah, the transition! As the dust settles and the combatants catch their breath, we pan to the sidelines, where our spectators gather like gossiping magpies. The scent of sweat and adrenaline hangs in the air as a dialogue sprouts amidst the tension. It’s not just words; it's the opening notes of a new act, a waltz of wit.

Imagine our gallant fighters locking eyes for an instant, a silent promise of resumed hostilities, before they part. One's lips curl into a knowing smirk, while the other's brow furrows with indignation. The crowd disperses, each member carrying a fraction of the tension, and our heroes mingle with the masses.

"I never thought I'd see the day," says one observer, nursing a tankard of ale as if it were a newborn kitten.

"Aye," another replies, eyes glinting with mischief. "But did you see that flourish with the dagger? A masterstroke, that was."

And so, the exchange flows – an easy camaraderie, the cadence of chatter threading through the aftermath of conflict. Their dialogue weaves between the threads of sweat-soaked combat, creating a tableau of human complexity.

Now, what of the troublesome two-versus-one scenario? Fret not, for even in the clutches of such disparity, the dance remains unchanged. The narrative pirouette spins thusly: "Two against one, and yet the lone warrior stood unyielding. The odds shifted like sand in the wind, but with each swing, the trio carved their story into the tapestry of time."

As the dust clears, a whispered conversation ensues between the survivors. Tense, perhaps, but tinged with the shared experience of battle. Words are chosen carefully, and glances hold worlds of unspoken meaning. "Did you see the way they moved? Like water and fire, clashing but harmonious," one remarks.

And so, the dance continues – not just between the blades, but between hearts and minds, each step a carefully orchestrated transition from clash to conversation. Remember, dear writer, it is not just about what is seen but what is felt. A well-woven tapestry of action and dialogue can turn the mundane into the majestic, and the ordinary into the extraordinary. Now, go forth and weave your tale with finesse, for the world hungers for stories well-told.
Pretty good answers by AI, I must say.

LilRora

Mostly formless
You know how in movies you have various kinds of transitions between scenes? You've got the same thing in books, and there are really many types. The most common thing though is to sorta distance the narration from the fight (similar to your example) and switch to a different place.

Other things you can do are pausing the fight, for example a staredown contest after a particularly intense exchange, abruptly switching perspective (a sort of cliffhanger), or write an opening sentence and sharply switch to a different perspective (like, write that guy A shot into the air to gain distance and guy B started chasing him, then, in the paragraph, "Seeing that, <spectator> did something and said something").

Edit: Forgot it at first, but generally try to connect the transition itself to the fight. Don't do a random switch just because you want. Ideally, make it happen for a reason and not as an interruption to the fight, but as a way to fill in a gap in the fight that would be boring to describe.

A bit of advice from me though, doing something like that severly drags out the fights. Depending on the effect you want to achieve, it might be a good thing, but be careful not to overuse it since it's easy to exaggerate it and make the whole sequence too dragged out and boring.

Ah, the age-old conundrum of seamlessly transitioning from an action-packed fight scene to a riveting conversation among spectators. It's almost like trying to switch from watching a Michael Bay explosion-fest to a philosophical debate on the merits of kale smoothies. But fear not, aspiring writer, for I shall bestow upon you the sacred scrolls of narrative finesse.

Picture this: Two characters locked in a ferocious battle, blades slicing through the air, creating shockwaves that could probably give earthquakes a run for their money. And there, in the background, like an audience at a tennis match, stand a couple of spectators. Maybe they're sipping tea, munching on popcorn, or placing bets on who will end up needing more bandages.

Now, imagine a seamless segue, a masterstroke of literary prestidigitation, as we transition from the clanging of steel to the tinkling of conversational gems.

Instead of relying on the old "blades clashed over and over again" routine, try something a tad more original. Let's see… Ah, got it:

"As the fighters twirled and spun, painting an abstract masterpiece of pain and precision across the canvas of the sky, the audience settled into an uncomfortable silence. Not the kind of silence that comes with awe, mind you, but the kind that accompanies a particularly bewildering magic trick – like the one where the magician saws the assistant in half. Yeah, that one. So, while the blades danced in the air, the spectators exchanged glances that said, 'Do you think we should have brought snacks?'"

See, it's all about injecting a dash of sardonic charm into your descriptions. Now, for the transition itself. If it's a two-on-one fight, fear not, for our trusty narrator has your back:

"Meanwhile, in a distant corner of the battlefield, two characters who had wisely chosen not to audition for the role of 'pincushion' shared a bemused glance. Clearly, they had a few thoughts on the proceedings. One of them raised an eyebrow – an expression that eloquently conveyed, 'Well, this is one way to get out of doing dishes.'"

And just like that, you've smoothly glided from the battlefield to the realm of conversation without a hint of a hiccup. No need for repetitive phrases or clunky transitions.

So there you have it, dear writer – a sardonic narrator's guide to transitioning from a fight to a conversation. Remember, the key is to infuse your words with a touch of wit and a pinch of sarcasm, and your readers will gladly follow you from the clang of swords to the exchange of words, without missing a beat or spilling a drop of their imaginary popcorn.
Ah, the delicate art of transitioning from a grand display of clashing blades to the subtle exchange of words – truly a challenge worthy of a wordsmith's consideration. But fear not, dear inquirer, for I shall bestow upon you the wisdom of seamless storytelling. Brace yourself for a lesson in narrative finesse, for we shall deftly maneuver from the cacophony of combat to the ballet of dialogue.

Let us first discard the notion of repeatedly resorting to the tired phrase "Their blades clashed over and over again," like a sad old bard plucking the same out-of-tune lute string. We aim for elegance, not monotony, my friend.

Instead, consider the graceful swerve. As our combatants exchange blows, their energy sputtering like a damp torch, you paint vivid vignettes. "The steel sang its deadly song, each strike a note in the symphony of combat. The crowd held its breath, eyes locked on the dance of danger." You create a crescendo of anticipation, a thudding heartbeat of suspense, until...

The transition. Ah, the transition! As the dust settles and the combatants catch their breath, we pan to the sidelines, where our spectators gather like gossiping magpies. The scent of sweat and adrenaline hangs in the air as a dialogue sprouts amidst the tension. It’s not just words; it's the opening notes of a new act, a waltz of wit.

Imagine our gallant fighters locking eyes for an instant, a silent promise of resumed hostilities, before they part. One's lips curl into a knowing smirk, while the other's brow furrows with indignation. The crowd disperses, each member carrying a fraction of the tension, and our heroes mingle with the masses.

"I never thought I'd see the day," says one observer, nursing a tankard of ale as if it were a newborn kitten.

"Aye," another replies, eyes glinting with mischief. "But did you see that flourish with the dagger? A masterstroke, that was."

And so, the exchange flows – an easy camaraderie, the cadence of chatter threading through the aftermath of conflict. Their dialogue weaves between the threads of sweat-soaked combat, creating a tableau of human complexity.

Now, what of the troublesome two-versus-one scenario? Fret not, for even in the clutches of such disparity, the dance remains unchanged. The narrative pirouette spins thusly: "Two against one, and yet the lone warrior stood unyielding. The odds shifted like sand in the wind, but with each swing, the trio carved their story into the tapestry of time."

As the dust clears, a whispered conversation ensues between the survivors. Tense, perhaps, but tinged with the shared experience of battle. Words are chosen carefully, and glances hold worlds of unspoken meaning. "Did you see the way they moved? Like water and fire, clashing but harmonious," one remarks.

And so, the dance continues – not just between the blades, but between hearts and minds, each step a carefully orchestrated transition from clash to conversation. Remember, dear writer, it is not just about what is seen but what is felt. A well-woven tapestry of action and dialogue can turn the mundane into the majestic, and the ordinary into the extraordinary. Now, go forth and weave your tale with finesse, for the world hungers for stories well-told.
Fraknly, too much flavor text. The content is good, yes, but too much flowery language.

Last edited:

Rivertalon

A stretch out his hand and a 5 meter sword appeared in his hand out of nowhere. This sword design is very simple, normal people wouldn't able to tell if it's a supreme treasure or not.

B looked at the sword on A's hand in intense gaze. He felt fear just by looking at it. It was also same for the people watching the fight.

'Is that what I think it is ?' someone from the crowd couldn't his thoughts anymore.

'Yes, it's xx sword. If I am not wrong, a it has nn power and it killed pp 2 years ago'

Hearing this everyone looked at the sword in A's hand with shocked expression.

'B, you will die, here and now' A declared.

I am sorry I am not good at explaining things. But a conversation of spectator between the fight scene could look like this.

D

Deleted member 113259

Guess I'll give actual advice then.
Guy A stabbed Guy B
"He stabbed him," Guy C announced.
"hE STaBbEd HIm," Guy D mocked.

Tempokai

Overworked One
Fraknly, too much flavor text. The content is good, yes, but too much flowery language.
I like flowery language. It's a good way to make something bland to be enjoyable. In the example the case why the flowery language was too much because it didn't have any instruction for next scene, only answered the question at hand

Iamnotabot

Bot of [Tsuru]

An answer by machine is always better

Vitou

You know how in movies you havevarious kinds of transitions between scenes? You've got the same thing in books, and there are really many types. The most common thing though is to sorta distance the narration from the fight (similar to your example) and switch to a different place.

Other things you can do are pausing the fight, for example a staredown contest after a particularly intense exchange, abruptly switching perspective (a sort of cliffhanger), or write an opening sentence and sharply switch to a different perspective (like, write that guy A shot into the air to gain distance and guy B started chasing him, then, in the paragraph, "Seeing that, <spectator> did something and said something").

Edit: Forgot it at first, but generally try to connect the transition itself to the fight. Don't do a random switch just because you want. Ideally, make it happen for a reason and not as an interruption to the fight, but as a way to fill in a gap in the fight that would be boring to describe.

A bit of advice from me though, doing something like that severly drags out the fights. Depending on the effect you want to achieve, it might be a good thing, but be careful not to overuse it since it's easy to exaggerate it and make the whole sequence too dragged out and boring.

Thank you, yours was definitely the most insightful response. The AI one was, as you said, too much flavory language, I couldn't even understand some of those words...
But what would you say in a 2v1 scenario? That is currently the one I'm writing. 2 good guys vs 1 bad guy.
And also, might be important to note, that I'm thinking of a slightly longer conversation during the fight. Not too long, but it's not like 2 sentences or something. The conversation itself might seem worthless at first, but is actually foreshadowing something for a later chapter, so I think it's important. And something the characters(the ones watching) do during the conversation will also trigger the fighters to unleash their epic combined attack at the enemy.
Slight context: The ones watching basically just start messing around and not pay attention to the fighters. The fighters notice it and are like "The hell? They're just messing around while we're over here trying to save the world? Alright that's it, let's finish this!" or something.
A stretch out his hand and a 5 meter sword appeared in his hand out of nowhere. This sword design is very simple, normal people wouldn't able to tell if it's a supreme treasure or not.

B looked at the sword on A's hand in intense gaze. He felt fear just by looking at it. It was also same for the people watching the fight.

'Is that what I think it is ?' someone from the crowd couldn't his thoughts anymore.

'Yes, it's xx sword. If I am not wrong, a it has nn power and it killed pp 2 years ago'

Hearing this everyone looked at the sword in A's hand with shocked expression.

'B, you will die, here and now' A declared.

I am sorry I am not good at explaining things. But a conversation of spectator between the fight scene could look like this.
not bad, but the conversation I'm thinking of is slightly longer and not just 2 sentences. And it's happening directly during the fight, not before it. I could provide more context if necessary

Rivertalon

Thank you, yours was definitely the most insightful response. The AI one was, as you said, too much flavory language, I couldn't even understand some of those words...
But what would you say in a 2v1 scenario? That is currently the one I'm writing. 2 good guys vs 1 bad guy.
And also, might be important to note, that I'm thinking of a slightly longer conversation during the fight. Not too long, but it's not like 2 sentences or something. The conversation itself might seem worthless at first, but is actually foreshadowing something for a later chapter, so I think it's important. And something the characters(the ones watching) do during the conversation will also trigger the fighters to unleash their epic combined attack at the enemy.
Slight context: The ones watching basically just start messing around and not pay attention to the fighters. The fighters notice it and are like "The hell? They're just messing around while we're over here trying to save the world? Alright that's it, let's finish this!" or something.

not bad, but the conversation I'm thinking of is slightly longer and not just 2 sentences. And it's happening directly during the fight, not before it. I could provide more context if necessary
Ok so is it 1st pov or 3rd pov

BlackKnightX

As soon as the match started, both of them stared at each other in the eyes, an intense aura exploding in the air. With a shout of courage, their hands moved. Time seemed to slow to a crawl as Red raised his right hand and brought it down in a swift motion, returning time to normal speed.

Rock. It was rock! The most basic choice every human could make. But he was sure of this. He'd seen it in Blue's eyes. He'd predicted precisely how this was going to go down. But—

"No way!" He gasped, his confidence slipping away as soon as it came.

Sadly, it wasn't paper as he had hope. Damn it! he cried in his head. That's impossible! Did he see right through me and turn the tide around!?

A few distance to the side, Black and White were spectating. White was agape at the scene that had just unfolded.

"But how...?" White mused.

Black smirked. "Hah. Well played, indeed."

"What's going on? I thought Red had it for sure. That guy has never missed when it comes to reading his opponent's moves."

"Indeed, you're right," Black said. "However, the truth might be more disappointing once you know it."

"What does that mean?"

Black chuckled. "Look at Blue's face. Can't you tell what's going on? I'm sure Red will realize soon enough, being that close to him. At least, he should have figured it out by the smell by now."

White raised an eyebrow. "Look? Smell? What do you..."

Then she saw it! Judging by how red Blue's usually pale face was and the way he seemed to sway every few seconds and seemed ready to fall at any moment. No way, she thought. Did he really...

Well, you get the idea~

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Lilith had run out of tricks.

She had nothing left up her sleeve. She didn't have anyone to protect her. She was alone and facing an insurmountable problem that she had no way of avoiding. She knew she should try to get up, to try and do anything, but all she could do was close her eyes to the doom barreling down on her. As she waited for the end, she squeaked out a single word.

"reed...?"

Instead of being ripped apart, she heard three explosions in rapid succession followed by warm, moist air flowing over her from above. She reflexively held her hand over her eyes to shield them as she turned to look to the sky. Like an angel descending from the heavens, Reed hovered over her, held aloft by those bottles on his arms and legs that he used to control blasts of steam. In his hands was another one of those strange weapons he had created. It looked like a very chunky, yet truncated staff with some sort of grip on the bottom, and a glass chamber along the top that glowed with the liquid mana it contained. He held it in both hands as he pointed it at the charging beasts and fired.

Several Brunelli spheres appeared at the end of the weapon each time he pulled the trigger. Not only was it shooting explosive ice bolts, but each shot flew at supersonic speeds and possessed an absolutely criminal amount of kinetic energy. Each pull caused another demonic interloper to detonate, spraying chunks of flesh and blood in an expanding cloud of gore.

Alas, it wasn't enough to scare the monsters off. It only bought the pair precious seconds.

Reed dropped out of the sky next to Lilith, leaving his weapon coated with a thin film of water and hovering in the air. He reached down to yank Lilith to her feet while at the same time, a layer of warm water started to spread across her skin. She stared into Reed's eyes with disbelief as he opened his mouth to speak.

Lilith stood next to her father as a monster about the size of a pony was barreling toward them. It had somehow managed to dodge through the front line and was now heading towards the hill where she and her father stood to watch the battle.

Gorlois placed his hand on the hilt of his blade and looked down at his child, "Do you trust me?"

Lilith looked up with wide eyes and child-like innocence and nodded but once.

As the monster grew closer and closer, she could see every detail on its scaled face. The many teeth, the multiple eyes, the way it loped with a gait, and not smooth like a normal animal. Just before it could reach her, her father stepped forward and with a single smooth motion, drew his blade and beheaded the creature.

It crashed to a halt at her feet.

"What?"

Reed shook Lilith slightly by the shoulders, "I said, 'Do you Trust Me?'"

Lilith looked at Reed with the widest eyes and nodded but once.

"Then go limp and do nothing."

Abruptly Lilith flew out of the way as Reed drew two blades from behind his back. Reed was using the layer of water over her body to telekinetically control her. A tether of water remained between her and Reed as he tossed her to the side. He followed this action by throwing two water-coated kabars at the approaching wave of beasts, keeping a thread of water attached to each of them as well.

What unfolded next was less of a melee and more of a dance of death.

Reed would direct the floating weapon to shoot any creatures that were far enough away that the exploding ice bolts wouldn't pose a danger to Lilith. For those too close for comfort, he would fling his blades, then using enhanced surface tension and the connected thread of water, yank the blades back to hurl them in a different direction. Meanwhile, he would use Lilith as a form of counterweight. With a gesture, he would fling her out of harm's way way, then use her momentum to yank himself towards the enemy so he could personally punch a shaft of ice into the beast that had just threatened to end her existence.

Lilith did nothing.

She was strangely calm about the whole experience. Despite being tossed about willy-nilly and thrown spinning into the air, only to be yanked back at the last possible second, she wasn't worried in the slightest. She enhanced her mental speed so she could watch everything unfold around her and admire the precision with which Reed acted. How everything he did was the path of least resistance. Every offensive attack, every defensive dodge was calculated to use the absolute minimal amount of energy and effort. She was able to watch as a claw lashed out at her, only to narrowly miss her eyes because Reed pulled her away a mere fraction of an inch. The claws moving past in impossibly slow, subjective motion should have been terrifying, but deep down inside, she honestly didn't feel like she was in any real danger.

Reed was here.

As she was tossed into the air, she slowly rotated as she flew over the beasts trying to end her life. She could to look back down at the fiends as they looked up at her in turn. Their jaws were wide open as they salivated for her flesh. This exposed their throats to Reed, who took advantage of the situation. Riding a blast of steam, he dashed through the cluster. slashing the throats of four of them with surgical precision.

Just as Lilith felt herself reach the apex of her ascent, Reed yanked hard on the connecting thread, propelling her into his arms as he jumped up in turn. They met in mid-air, spinning as one while his blades swirled in deadly arcs around them. The percussion of Reed's floating weapon firing over and over created a surrealistic pulsing beat as it fired into the thick of the horde. She wanted to look around at everything, to watch Reed's handy work, this symphony of slaughter...

But she couldn't tear her eyes away from the young man holding her in his arms.

Then spun for several moments longer as Reed fired bursts of steam to keep them aloft. In Lilith's mind, it seemed to last forever. No, she wanted it to last forever. However, all good things must come to an end. Eventually, they touched down on the edge of the carnage. The warm water coating Lilith's body briefly washed up over her face, then flowed away. It took a moment for Lilith to realize that not only had Reed saved her life, but took a moment to clean her up, washing away any wayward bits of beast flesh or blood that might have dared to soil her dress. The very idea that not only would Reed save her life, but worry about her appearance blew her mind.

Her hand moved to cover her rapidly beating heart to keep it from exploding out of her chest.

It took some time for Lilith to realize Reed had been speaking to her. She blinked as she tried to figure out what he said. She eventually gave up and asked calmly, "I'm sorry. What did you say?"

"I asked if you're injured?" Reed took her hand in his and shook it in an attempt to get her to snap out of whatever fugue state she was in. He sounded deeply concerned, "Does it hurt anywhere?" He began to look her up and down to see if she had been wounded anywhere.

Lilith blinked, then laughed lightly with a musical lilt, "How could I have been hurt?" She reached out to touch Reed's face as she gave him the warmest of smiles, "You're here."

Reed blinked in confusion as she cupped his cheek. He opened his mouth to speak, but froze, looking past Lilith to something behind her. His eyes narrowed, "Oh great." He stated in a flat tone, "Of COURSE, there would be a boss fight."

Lilith tentatively turned around to see a seven-legged monster the size of a house. It abruptly roared to announce that it had taken to the battlefield and would not be ignored. Reed stepped off to the side and held out his hands. His weapon fell out of the air into his hands. He pressed the stock into his shoulder as he aimed at the creature. A burst of bolts slammed into the monster's snout. When the spray of ice dissipated, the creature seemed unaffected.

Maybe even a little annoyed

Reed looked surprised, "Ooo. Tough Muther, aren't you?" He paused to pop the cap on the top of his weapon and held it to his lips. As he drank deeply, his tattoos began to glow a bright blue. With a satisfying sigh, he wiped his mouth, pressed the cap back into place, then slapped the weapon abruptly into Lilith's hands, "Hold this, will you?"

Lilith looked surprised as she took the weapon. She cradled it against her chest, holding it tightly with both hands as she watched Reed advance on the monster. With a casual flick of his hands, he summoned his two blades back to his hands, then cracked his neck, "Gonna earn that knightly salary today, I guess."

Lilith stretched out a hand towards him and cried out, "WAIT! It's..." Reed looked back to see her looking afraid for the first time throughout this strange ordeal. She couldn't find the words she wanted to say. She couldn't think of how to express her feelings, her gratitude, or anything. Instead, Lilith's eyes flickered from Reed to the beast then back as she spoke the only words that came to mind, "It's dangerous!"

Inside her mind's eye, the woman who prided herself on always speaking eloquently in any social situation, facepalmed.

Reed blinked in surprise at Lilith stating the obvious, then gave her a cocky smile, "Relax, Little Lilly..."

Invidia's heart sank as she watched in horror, witnessing her daughter, Lilith, being pursued by a horde of slavering demonic creatures during what should have been a joyous event. Lilith was supposed to lead the lantern festival, not a horde of monsters chasing after her. The pride Invidia felt for her daughter's accomplishments was replaced by terror. The initial plan to shower Lilith with gifts for her success was now the furthest thing from Invidia's mind as she desperately hoped for Lilith's safety.

Invidia was not one to wait for a miracle. Invidia's impatience led her to seize a tent pole, intending to charge out and defend her daughter despite the slim chances of reaching her in time. Determination fueled her actions, but just as she burst through the tent flap, someone caught her arm. Surprised, she turned to find a young lady with silver hair and sapphire eyes gripping her elbow. Invidia instinctively prepared to strike the girl with the pole, but the girl quickly explained why she stopped her.

"You'll only get in my brother's way."

Just as Invidia was about to ask the girl what she meant, a series of explosions rang out in rapid succession, grabbing her attention. Her gaze quickly shifted to witness a short knight clad in black armor soaring toward Lilith, riding on a cloud of steam. With precise control, he steered the clouds to decelerate and gracefully alighted next to Lilith. The girl at Invidia's elbow continued to explain, "She couldn't be in safer hands."

As the intense battle raged on, more and more women in the tent opened up the flaps to witness the momentous clash that seemed to determine their fate. While most of those watching seemed quite upset, none of the ladies who were attending the university with Reed seemed worried in the slightest. More than one turned to the others who were less familiar with the situation and assured them that everything would be fine.

Reed was here.

The spectacle held them transfixed, uncertain of their destiny in the face of such danger, with only one knight to fight them off. Simultaneously, in the distance, other explosions erupted. Lightning bolts, bursts of flames, flashes of light, and two white flares were fired into the sky. It became evident that whatever was going on, it was not isolated to this area alone, or help would have arrived by now. Something significant was unfolding at the far side of the festival as well, adding to the chaos and uncertainty that hung heavily in the air.

Invidia's eyes were glued to the intense battle, which seemed to unfold in the blink of an eye. For an observer without the ability to augment their reaction time, the entire skirmish lasted less than two minutes. Throughout the encounter, as Reed tossed Lilith around, Invidia's face turned ashen. When the battle eventually came to a halt, and they both landed on the outskirts of the conflict, Invidia suddenly gasped for air, finally realizing she had been holding her breath all along.

"He's gotten stronger since the arena, or maybe he was just taking this fight more seriously. I don't think he made a joke once."

Invidia turned to the girl at her side, "This must be The Demonslayer I have heard my husband complain about so much."

Lily seemed taken aback at hearing that the duke seemed to dislike Reed, before confirming the statement with a nod, "Yes. Reed does have a talent for annoying people." She looked out towards Lilith, "Your daughter recently chewed him out something awful. Not sure if he had it coming, but one can assume that there are no hard feelings."

A roar brought Invidia back to the here and now to see the giant beast that was entering the field of battle. As surprising as its arrival was, it was even more surprising to see the black knight converse with her daughter, pause to fire off a white flare into the air, then rush off to take the monster on in single combat.

Invidia began to frown, "Why is she just standing there?" Indeed, Lilith remained where she had been abandoned by Reed. She looked to be watching the fight in awe as he started to run circles around the monster, both antagonizing it and probing for weakness. The dutchess dropped the pole, lifted the hem of her dress, and proceeded to hurry over to her daughter.

Lily followed along, "What are you doing?"

Invidia's face was a mask of determination, "I mean to get my daughter as far away from here as possible!" Shortly she came up behind her daughter to find her standing there, an oddly blissful expression on her face as she cradled the rather alien-looking staff-like weapon in her arms. She grabbed her daughter by the shoulder and shook her, "Lilith! This isn't safe! Come with me!"

Lily noticed in the distance the first of many guards that were charging out of the vendor area, heading to the tent, "Yes. This place is not safe at ALL." Lilith simply turned and looked at her mother calmly and somewhat detachedly. Both Invidia and Lily thought that Lilith must be in shock.

Lilith smiled, "Oh, hello Mother." She blinked a bit, "Isn't safe?" She gestured towards the battle just as Reed let loose with a massive blast of exploding ice-seven, which the beast shrugged off, "But Reed is here. What could possibly go wrong?"

As she said those words to her mother, Lily's gasped out in shock, staring past Lilith.

Lilith turned to see Reed arching through the air as if he had been solidly hit by one of the beast's massive paws. Reed hit the ground, tumbled, and came to a stop.

He moved no more.

Ryan was in a stalemate.

The beast's enhanced state, coupled with its impenetrable hide, made it nearly invulnerable to Ryan's magical attacks. His ice bolts proved ineffective, and while his knives managed to cause minor damage, they were insufficient to deal any significant harm to the creature. He found himself in a precarious situation, struggling to find a way to defeat the powerful beast. Each passing moment only increased the sense of urgency and the realization that he needed to come up with a new strategy. A scratch here and a poke there was not going to win the day, and its agility and cunning prevented Ryan from getting close to its vulnerable spots, such as its eyes.

Even then, it had eyes to spare.

~It's obviously that damn chain around its neck, but I can't near it.~ He lanced out a thread of water and tightened the surface tension to yank himself out of harm's way. As he did, he took a chance and conjured a bolt of Ice-7 at near point-blank range into its mouth. The sliver impacted an invisible shield and harmlessly exploded just outside its gaping maw. Frustration welled up inside him, but he couldn't afford to lose focus. He couldn't take it head-on, and his usual magic wasn't working. The beast was too fast and too well-protected. His mind raced, searching for alternative approaches to defeat the formidable opponent.

Ryan cursed under his breath as he swung around to the other side, ~There has got to be a-~Then Ryan realized what needed to be done, ~You hack of an author! I'm gonna have to let it swallow me, Aren't I? Why did you come up with a cliche like this? It's been done to death! What a ridiculously overused idea! Couldn't you have crafted something more imaginative?~ With determination, he made a final attempt to land on the creature's back, but it spotted him and swiftly retaliated with a swipe.

~Well, better make this look good.~ Ryan tensed up as he created a layer of water around himself for padding and let himself get hit. He 'rolled' with the blow, flying away and rolling to a stop, making sure to come to a stop facing the beast, ~Alright, you'll come at me with your mouth wide open. At the last second, I'll fire my thrusters and launch myself down your throat, then I cut my way out. Should be enough air inside the helmet.~

The beast stopped and stared. It was wary that the annoying bug flying around it had stopped moving so easily. However, it wasn't bred for its intelligence, but for its violent tendencies. After taking a few careful steps closer, and a few threatening snorts, it broke into a charge to run Ryan down and finish him off.

~Okay...~ Ryan tilted his head slightly to get a better view. The all-Father's gift kicked in, showing him the fore vectors and angles needed to make sure he avoided its teeth and went right down its throat, ~Hopefully your lungs. I wonder if I can find your demon heart while I'm in there? That would look impressive when-~ Ryan was shifting his legs in preparation for launching himself when the monster got blindsided by a bolt of lightning.

Both the Beast and Ryan turned to look at the source.

Lilith stood there, her hand extended, while in her other hand, she lowered Ryan's weapon from her lips and discarded it. She had just consumed the last of the mana fluid from the ammunition chamber. Lily and Invidia had been fleeing, but they paused to turn back when they heard the roar of thunder. Lilith's tattoos began to radiate with a mesmerizing opalescent white hue, accentuated by flickering rainbows that danced across her body. Suddenly, her eyes didn't simply glow; they ignited with crackling energy.

"Stay Away From My Reed, You BITCH!"

As you can see, I stick to one PoV, have the story go for a while, back up a little bit, switch to a new PoV, back up a little bit, Switch to a NEW PoV, or back to an old one, and keep switching it up to keep it interesting, but also to make sure each shift includes a new batch of information that the reader didn't have at that point.

The point of this method is to make sure you remember the READER remembers what happened in the other PoVs, so only include new information or recontextualize the previous information

BTW, occationally Lilith is having flashbacks to a time she went hunting with her father the Duke. The whole battle is about 8k if you include the flashbacks.

Last edited:

LilRora

Mostly formless
Not sure what exactly you want to achieve, but one good way to do it when you're writing a 2v1 would be to make one of the fighters retreat for a moment and look around. When he notices the spectators, you can move to their conversation.

If it's gonna be long, then try to add some descriptions of the fight between the lines. Ideally when the fight has an effect on the spectators, something like: "Yeah, that it. But-" He was cut off by an explosion in the distance, revealed to be an attack of the villain that forced the other fighters to retreat. Shaking his head, he continued. "But you can't..."

Once they stop paying attention, you stop describing the fight for a while and suddenly interrupt them with an angry shout from the ingored guys, which turns the spectators' attention to them, and from there you go back to describing the fight.

Vitou

Not sure what exactly you want to achieve, but one good way to do it when you're writing a 2v1 would be to make one of the fighters retreat for a moment and look around. When he notices the spectators, you can move to their conversation.

If it's gonna be long, then try to add some descriptions of the fight between the lines. Ideally when the fight has an effect on the spectators, something like: "Yeah, that it. But-" He was cut off by an explosion in the distance, revealed to be an attack of the villain that forced the other fighters to retreat. Shaking his head, he continued. "But you can't..."

Once they stop paying attention, you stop describing the fight for a while and suddenly interrupt them with an angry shout from the ingored guys, which turns the spectators' attention to them, and from there you go back to describing the fight
The conversation should be near over by the time the fighters notice it. Or, even if it would continue, the spectators would notice that they're about to do an epic move, so they stop talking and continue watching them again. I was more thinking, how to move from the fight, into the beginning of that conversation. Specifically, how would I end the battle scene, right before the conversation scene starts, cause I already know how to start the conversation scene.
And I don't think either of them need to retreat. I was more thinking like, one of them hears noises and yelling from below them, while blocking an attack from the bad guy, she shifts her eye towards the noise and notices it, then gets angry and kicks the bad guy away, turns to her friend and tells her that they're being ignored and that they should do their epic move now.