Someone translated my novel to Chinese and posted it on Qidian

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
Someone made a Chinese translation of my novel and posted it on Qidian. I just learned about it today. What are your thoughts about it? I want to hear your opinions.

Will it affect me in a good or bad way? My novel is "Hollywood What If" which is obviously a Hollywood fanfiction, but the Chinese guy changed the title in Qidian and named it "Return to Hollywood"... Wtf, he didn't even keep the original title.

Here's is the link of the the guy who pirates my novel:

Last edited:

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
Well...if he credits you, then I wouldn't see it as mattering. If it doesn't, you could ask him to
Hm, now this is an interesting opinion. I gotta make an account in Qidian first, although I'm not if that's even possible.

Succubiome

I'm also assuming this is a publicly posted novel for all of this-- if it's not, then it's a completely different issue, at least in my eyes.

Personally I'd be pretty happy if someone translated stuff I wrote that was publicly posted, if and only if I got credited for it. I'd probably ask for a link to one of my social media or something too, personally? Like, most people aren't going to click on it if reading something in a different language, but it's still good in case anyone reads it and does want to get in touch with you for whatever reason, or support you, if you have a SubscribeStar or the like

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
Do they claim to be the original author or they are crediting you? One way or another, it's a bit rude to do something like this without consulting the author and asking for permission. Especially if they are making money out of it.
One of my readers told me about it. The chapters are still free in Qidian but no one contacted and asked for my permission to get my novel translated into Chinese.
I'm also assuming this is a publicly posted novel for all of this-- if it's not, then it's a completely different issue, at least in my eyes.

Personally I'd be pretty happy if someone translated stuff I wrote that was publicly posted, if and only if I got credited for it. I'd probably ask for a link to one of my social media or something too, personally? Like, most people aren't going to click on it if reading something in a different language, but it's still good in case anyone reads it and does want to get in touch with you for whatever reason, or support you, if you have a SubscribeStar or the like
I have a Patreon. As long as it's free and he is not making money out of it, I guess it's fine. Also, I think he just Google Translate my story.

DannyTheDaikon

| Azure tamer | Harbinger of chaos and soup
One of my readers told me about it. The chapters are still free in Qidian but no one contacted and asked for my permission to get my novel translated into Chinese.

I have a Patreon. As long as it's free and he is not making money out of it, I guess it's fine. Also, I think he just Google Translate my story.
Then I'd do what georgelee5786 mentioned and asked for credit if it's not there. If there is then... well... up to you.

You are getting the jp webnovel treatment
It will be a complete experience if it gets abandoned halfway through.

MatchaChocolate69

Edible Bittersweet Edgelord, Rebel against Entropy
Someone made a Chinese translation of my novel and posted it on Qidian. I just learned about it today. What are your thoughts about it? I want to hear your opinions.

Will it affect me in a good or bad way? My novel is "Hollywood What If" which is obviously a Hollywood fanfiction, but the Chinese guy changed the title in Qidian and named it "Return to Hollywood"... Wtf, he didn't even keep the original title.
As long as they credit you without passing off the work as their own and don't publish it in print or on Amazon (or the Chinese alternative, I'm not sure if there's Amazon in China, but I don't think so), I would be honored and even a bit excited. After all, it's a form of esteem and recognition of one's work. Maybe they can make some money through donations, kind of like those who translate Japanese or Korean novels. In any case, it's an audience that you would never be able to reach directly.

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
As long as they credit you without passing off the work as their own and don't publish it in print or on Amazon (or the Chinese alternative, I'm not sure if there's Amazon in China, but I don't think so), I would be honored and even a bit excited. After all, it's a form of esteem and recognition of one's work. Maybe they can make some money through donations, kind of like those who translate Japanese or Korean novels. In any case, it's an audience that you would never be able to reach directly.
Interesting take.

prognastat

As long as they credit me as the author and them as the translator I don't mind.

Really the only thing I mind is the non-translated versions since they are not actually expanding the amount of people that can read it beyond what I could myself and just stealing my potential views/readers.

When they translate it to a different language and credit me then it just means people get to read it that wouldn't have otherwise which seems perfectly fine to me. Then again I grew up in the times that anime/manga rarely got translated to english and when they did it was done poorly so fan translators had to do the job in many case. I didn't feel that was piracy and same here.

I haven't found mine in Chinese yet, but I have found them in Russian.

EDIT

Well seems you posted pretty much the same opinion while I was working on mine :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

DannyTheDaikon

I actually hope that will happen, it just doesn't sit well with me.
You can always ask them to stop or contact the website directly and ask them to remove it. But have in mind that it might shine on you in not so flattering way.

IMHO having your stuff translated into other language is something to be proud of. I would be happy of someone ever wanted to translate my novel. As long as someone credits me as the original author and doesn't paywall it, I wouldn't mind even if they were making money out of it through donations. It means that your writing is interesting and people like it enough that they want to share it.

It might feel like losing money or support directly, but truth is you probably wouldn't reach that audience on your own anyways.

MatchaChocolate69

Edible Bittersweet Edgelord, Rebel against Entropy
Well seems you posted pretty much the same opinion while I was working on mine :ROFLMAO:
Great minds think alike! :ROFLMAO:

Interesting take.

Ah, I forgot, another problem could be that they censor or add things unrelated to your story. Like your main character starting to exclaim, "Long live the Communist Party!"
Try doing a spot check with a google translate.

DannyTheDaikon

Last edited:

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
You can always ask them to stop or contact the website directly and ask them to remove it. But have in mind that it might shine on you in not so flattering way.

IMHO having your stuff translated into other language is something to be proud of. I would be happy of someone ever wanted to translate my novel. As long as someone credits me as the original author and doesn't paywall it, I wouldn't mind even if they were making money out of it through donations. It means that your writing is interesting and people like it enough that they want to share it.

It might feel like losing money or support directly, but truth is you probably wouldn't reach that audience on your own anyways.
Thank you for reassuring me. That's actually the main reason why I'm conflicted about this. Your opinion made me relax.
Great minds think alike! :ROFLMAO:

Ah, I forgot, another problem could be that they censor or add things unrelated to your story. Like your main character starting to exclaim, "Long live the Communist Party!"
Try doing a spot check with a google translate.
I'll check the translation once in a while.
I searched for your novel on Qidian and it seems like the person claims to be the author. They put their own name on the cover and you're not mentioned anywhere.

In this case I'd say file for takedown or ask them to fix this.

Edit: Actually all of the novels he published are stolen from others. One is Binder of Souls and other is Horizon of War: The Realistic Isekai Chronicles [Book 1 & 2 Completed]. Why are people like this...
What? So I'm not the one only he's pirating? Damn...

DannyTheDaikon

What? So I'm not the one only he's pirating? Damn...
Yeah, I checked, because usually people of this kind don't do it once. You can try contacting the other two authors or contact Qidian alone. In any case, this is just a theft and should be treated like such. They're just a leech.