What should i do?

MasFaqih

Normal White Cat | Fluffy | Can bite really hard
I think i have made a mistake in my first few chapter, like giving an information boom in first few chapter, and i think it make the reader feel bored,should i simplify that info boom?,that info boom was not too important too,like i dont want to rewrite it, it will confuse my reader, So, What should I do?. I think i really need some advice from you experienced senior

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
The info dump! The death of many stories, their potential extinguished before having a chance to blossom.

My suggestion is to completely remove them, and rewrite your beginning. If, as the author, you believe them to be unimportant, then why should the reader care? Only introduce new information as they are required, or relevant to the story. Do it slowly, and weave it into your story.

You don't have to rewrite those information, but rather, cut out what is irrelevant.

As for the info, you can add them to a dedicated Glossary Chapter that readers can refer to when needed.

Last edited:

MasFaqih

The info dump! The death of many stories, their potential extinguished before having a chance to blossom.

My suggestion is to completely remove them, and rewrite your beginning. If, as the author, you believe to be unimportant, then why should the reader care? Only introduce new information as they are required, or relevant to the story. Do it slowly, and weave it into your story.

You don't have to rewrite those information, but rather, cut out what is irrelevant.

As for the info, you can add them to a dedicated Glossary Chapter that readers can refer to when needed.
Can i just do that?, Actually its from chapter 2 to 3, In chapter 2 was about the origin of wrestling in cultivation world, I use story telling, while in chapter 3 i just dump all cultivation info progress on the beginning, like the mc is still low leveled,but must know this because she has a mentor who teach it, cultivation thingy can be used later on,but for wrestling, i just use it for reference in future chapter.

JustKidding

yeah you can put it in a glossary if its just like a list of all the cultivation realms that you want your readers to know. info dumps are only boring if not done well.

MasFaqih

yeah you can put it in a glossary if its just like a list of all the cultivation realms that you want your readers to know. info dumps are only boring if not done well.
Can you maybe check it? If its boring enough for first timer reader or not,because i've been reading This Chapter for like twelve times,maybe u can give me some feedback?

Iceheart

Can you maybe check it? If its boring enough for first timer reader or not,because i've been reading This Chapter for like twelve times,maybe u can give me some feedback?
I think its fine. In many cultivation novels they can go on for an entire chapter just to describe the exact changes each realm brings, the perfect methods to break into said realms and other important bits about said realms. Compared to those yours is short and concise in comparison.

MasFaqih

I think its fine. In many cultivation novels they can go on for an entire chapter just to describe the exact changes each realm brings, the perfect methods to break into said realms and other important bits about said realms. Compared to those yours is short and concise in comparison.
Thanks for replying,

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
Are you that uncertain?

Come on now, my guy. Where's your ancestor's confidence?? I thought we were supposed to be brave and not get nervous.

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
It is fine. Not the worst I've seen, but also, in my opinion, they are too dry, and lack a charming personality, especially as they are told from 1st POV, and too much cursing for my liking. If you are trying to make your MC childish, then you have succeeded.

As for the info dump, it is not that bad. A tad too condense, but with some spacing and better pacing, you should be fine

MasFaqih

It is fine. Not the worst I've seen, but also, in my opinion, they are too dry, and lack a charming personality, especially as they are told from 1st POV, and too much cursing for my liking. If you are trying to make your MC childish, then you have succeeded.

As for the info dump, it is not that bad. A tad too condense, but with some spacing and better pacing, you should be fine
I think too much cursing is not good too, I want my mc personality to be pure but have bottom line. Btw how to make it more charming, care for some writing method?
Are you that uncertain?

Come on now, my guy. Where's your ancestor's confidence?? I thought we were supposed to be brave and not get nervous.
It just, i feel like iam still lacking as a writer, and want the best for my reader, maybe i have already dissapointed my ancestor's long ago.

GoodPerson

I think too much cursing is not good too, I want my mc personality to be pure but have bottom line. Btw how to make it more charming, care for some writing method?
Try recreating your MC's personality, and tell me if you're done with it. I gotta see what you made first before concluding.
It just, i feel like iam still lacking as a writer, and want the best for my reader, maybe i have already dissapointed my ancestor's long ago.
Bro, this humble dude wants the best for his country and has the confidence of a saint. Well, he is a saint, after all.

Gus dur.jpg

"If you make good to everyone, people will never ask about your religion."

-A.W

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
This...is a hard question, one that I am still looking for an answer myself. One way I have been trying is just putting more personality into the narrator in your writing. Give a slight bias, inner thoughts, etc. I just read the first 3 chapters of your story, but I noticed that there was a lot of 'I did this, I did that, she is this, she is that', which is really dry.

Maybe have your narrator thinking to herself, or making internal monologues, jokes, etc. Try method acting, putting yourself into the character's shoes, and noting down the thoughts or actions you found yourself doing/having.
Hey, that is great. You are striving to improve yourself, which is vastly better than most. As for your ancestor's expectations? C'mon, that is just peer pressure from dead people, and peer pressure ain't good!

GoodPerson

This...is a hard question, one that I am still looking for an answer myself. One way I have been trying is just putting more personality into the narrator in your writing. Give a slight bias, inner thoughts, etc. I just read the first 3 chapters of your story, but I noticed that there was a lot of 'I did this, I did that, she is this, she is that', which is really dry.

Maybe have your narrator thinking to herself, or making internal monologues, jokes, etc. Try method acting, putting yourself into the character's shoes, and noting down the thoughts or actions you found yourself doing/having.
Quick tip: Method Acting is useful. Be your MC and act similarly to them. You'll notice just how lacking your MC is.
Hey, that is great. You are striving to improve yourself, which is vastly better than most. As for your ancestor's expectations? C'mon, that is just peer pressure from dead people, and peer pressure ain't good!
Peer pressure is bad, yes. But please don't call our ancestors like that. We respect honourable elders even when they're dead.

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
Peer pressure is bad, yes. But please don't call our ancestors like that. We respect honourable elders even when they're dead.
I was raised Asian, 'course I respect my folk. Dead, living, and whatever in-between Limbo they are in! I was just making a joke.

HOWEVER, just don't let exceptional expectations discourage ya

GoodPerson

I was raised Asian, 'course I respect my folk. Dead, living, and whatever in-between Limbo they are in! I was just making a joke.

HOWEVER, just don't let exceptional expectations discourage ya
Hol up, exceptional expectations...

Leme google dat

MasFaqih

Quick tip: Method Acting is useful. Be your MC and act similarly to them. You'll notice just how lacking your MC is.

I searched Method Acting in google,i think i know how it work,i just need to be my own mc right?, But can you please give me some example?, I mean like your application of method acting in your writing?.

MasFaqih

Try recreating your MC's personality, and tell me if you're done with it. I gotta see what you made first before concluding.

Bro, this humble dude wants the best for his country and has the confidence of a saint. Well, he is a saint, after all.

View attachment 28236

"If you make good to everyone, people will never ask about your religion."

-A.W
Hello iam done with it maybe u can take a look, in my opinion it's better and it's less boring. Maybe you can give me some feedback
Here

Hans.Trondheim

Hans off, please!
I think i have made a mistake in my first few chapter, like giving an information boom in first few chapter, and i think it make the reader feel bored,should i simplify that info boom?,that info boom was not too important too,like i dont want to rewrite it, it will confuse my reader, So, What should I do?. I think i really need some advice from you experienced senior
Info dump is not recommended. Feeding info to your readers should be done in small, but regular, tidbits...either through dialogue between characters, or events, if there's too much narration.

As for confusing your readers, better do the rewrites now, while you have a few audience, than you got thousands subscribing to you already. That will surely cause more confusion, and it may detrimentally affect your reputation (I'm speaking from my experience; I committed that mistake).

Just explain to them that you're doing a rewrite, and they will understand.

Also, method acting can help you a lot. i'm using that technique in my stories too.