I want to write, but i cant think of a "direction."

Hi, I'm a new wannabe writer and I have a problem.
I have loved reading stories (primarily fiction) for a long time, and would like to write my own. I have had a few story ideas, but not really whole story plans. I mainly have ideas for settings, a "magic system" or two, and some protags. I have some ideas of how I would like them to turn out, but I can't connect beginning to middle to end; and let alone to make a middle in the first place.

The best way I can summarize this is that, I have some foundation, but I can't figure out where I want to go with it. Direction feels like the correct term for it.

If you may, I would love any advice anyone may like to provide.

Ps. Bouta sleep, so will come back to absorb data ltr.

Jessie_Emilyn

If you have enough of the foundation, a world, characters, systems then put the character into it and see where they go, what do they want? What motivates them? What scares them? What might make a path forward happen?

I tend to write in a way that if I don't have ideas on the details I just unleash the characters into the world and see where they end up. There is no shame in just making something that doesn't work, it is about the writing not the quality. Anything to start writing. Sometimes my ideas come from minor things, a "what if" or "this would be a great ending" sometimes even inspired by dreams or just worlds I dream up. The more you write the more you will be able to write and connect with the characters. Don't be afraid to scrap your writing either, sometimes I can write chapters and remove them (I actually cut and paste them away so I still have it if I want to adapt it or just re-read it).

Characters ideally have something they want or need, let them strive for it in a world and adapt to the characters not a strict script. I wanted to write a magic story and it turned into a romance story, it still had magic but it felt like a different focus came up. Never be afraid to change where something goes and just write something, anything, even if it isn't something you can publish.

Good luck in your writing. If you have the characters and world then you have most of what you need.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Tumblr_l_1011535188542928.jpg

Tempokai

Overworked One
A Sardonic Narrator's Guide for Dummies: Finding Your Direction in Writing (Without Falling off a Cliff)
So, HiddenDraconic, you’ve decided to join the noble ranks of wannabe writers. A commendable endeavor, truly. Let’s be real, who doesn’t want to spend countless hours bleeding words onto a page only to be met with a sea of indifference and rejection? But hey, if self-inflicted misery is your jam, let’s dive right in.

Step 1: Setting the Stage (a.k.a. "Where the Hell Are We?")​

You’ve got some settings in mind. Great! Now, make them somewhat more interesting than the inside of a shoebox. A setting is more than just a backdrop; it's the sandbox where your characters will throw their tantrums and make their terrible life choices.
  1. World-Building 101: Think about what makes your world tick. Is it run by a corrupt government? A shady corporation? Magic? Or, my personal favorite, utter chaos?
  2. Details, Details, Details: Don’t just plop your characters in "Generic Fantasyland" or "Dystopian Future #47". Give us something to chew on. Is there a city built on the back of a giant tortoise? A village that worships a toaster? Go wild.

Step 2: Crafting a Magic System (Or: "How to Complicate Things Unnecessarily")​

Magic systems can be a blast, provided you’re ready to spend hours devising rules that your characters will promptly ignore when convenient.
  1. Limitations are Key: Sure, having unlimited power is fun until you realize there's no story without conflict. Make your magic come with a cost. Maybe casting a spell drains your life force, or every time you conjure fire, your eyebrows catch ablaze.
  2. Consistency is Your Friend: Once you set the rules, stick to them. Nothing kills a story faster than a magic system that bends like a wet noodle whenever the plot needs it to.

Step 3: Characters – The Puppets in Your Drama​

You mentioned having some protagonists. Lovely. Now, let’s make sure they’re not as two-dimensional as a piece of cardboard.
  1. Flaws Make the Hero: Perfect characters are boring. Give your protagonists some juicy flaws. Maybe they’re cowardly, selfish, or have a nasty habit of eating their weight in chocolate when stressed. Whatever it is, make it memorable.
  2. Motivation, Motivation, Motivation: Why do your characters do what they do? If they’re just meandering through your plot like lost sheep, no one will care. Give them goals, desires, and fears.

Step 4: Plot – The Murky Path from Beginning to End​

Connecting beginning, middle, and end can be as tricky as herding cats. Here’s a roadmap to help.
  1. The Three-Act Structure: It’s basic, but it works.
    • Act 1: Setup. Introduce your characters and world. Drop a bombshell that shatters their cozy existence.
    • Act 2: Confrontation. Your characters face obstacles, fail spectacularly, and learn some harsh truths.
    • Act 3: Resolution. The final showdown. Your characters either triumph or crash and burn. Either way, wrap it up neatly (or leave a tantalizing cliffhanger if you’re feeling cruel).
  2. Subplots are Your Friend: These can keep your middle from sagging like an old mattress. Throw in a romance, a betrayal, or a quest for the world’s last Twinkie. Just make sure it ties into the main plot somehow.

Step 5: Direction – Navigating the Literary Minefield​

You know you need direction, but you’re floundering. Here’s a secret: every writer does at some point. The trick is to keep floundering until you stumble onto something that works.
  1. Start with the Ending: Sometimes knowing where you want to end up can help you figure out how to get there. It’s like using a map, but with fewer arguments in the car.
  2. Write Out of Order: If you’re stuck on the middle, skip to a scene you’re excited about. Sometimes writing the fun bits first can help you fill in the gaps later.
  3. Embrace the Suck: Your first draft is going to be terrible. Accept it, and keep writing. You can’t fix what doesn’t exist.

Final Thoughts (or Lack Thereof)​

So, there you have it. A not-so-comprehensive guide to finding your direction in writing. Remember, it’s less about the destination and more about the absurd journey your characters take to get there. Now go forth, scribble nonsense, and maybe, just maybe, you’ll stumble upon a story worth telling. Or at the very least, you’ll have a pile of words to show for your efforts.
P.S. Get some sleep. Your characters will still be waiting for you when you wake up, presumably with their own set of grievances.

seahorsepink1

The best way I can summarize this is that, I have some foundation, but I can't figure out where I want to go with it. Direction feels like the correct term for it.
Think about what your story will be about. A story I'm (barely) helping a friend with is about some guy with mysterious ??? disease preventing him from using magic in a magic-based world.

If you have a main quirk in your story that differentiates your story from the rest, make the climax something about that.

Ex. the mysterious illness is cured.

You can also use the climax as a boost for further character development, whether it be the MC or SC. It all depends on how you envision your story.

Is it a tragedy? A comedy? Maybe romance or pure action?

l8rose

Perpetually Positively Pondering
As a non-linear writer, I say write the parts you want to write. Whether it is the final fight or the meeting between two protagonists or even just them in a field, write it.

You'll start finding it easier to write everything else if you have a scene to work towards. It doesn't matter if you change that later, you're a writer, you can do what you want with you own story.

Ruti

Your toes are now forklift. Get licensed now!
not an author, but sometimes I just end up accidentally having day dreams or just full on dreams that for some reason have a plot that could be used In an actual novel. Perhaps try taking something inspired by, for example, a dream you had, or a random thought. Stuck with where to make MC go next? perhaps try thinking of a story that takes place in the same world, but different POV (even if you don't write their story) and then you end up with a bigger setting in your mind, and perhaps a new location (and character) to add into the story if needed

basically, turn off your brain and write what comes first, and refine it later. Worked well for a short story I had to write for English class, should work (somewhat) well for an overall story plot

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
I have loved reading stories (primarily fiction) for a long time, and would like to write my own. I have had a few story ideas, but not really whole story plans. I mainly have ideas for settings, a "magic system" or two, and some protags. I have some ideas of how I would like them to turn out, but I can't connect beginning to middle to end; and let alone to make a middle in the first place.

So you are saying you kinda know the end and begginning... Now try coming up with critical turning points of the story. To aid in this, summarize the entire story in a single sentence and use that as a guide for your decision making.

You could try plotting the outline even more, but sometimes it's good to just start writing and figure it out as you go.

Succubiome

Try discovery writing, where you just start with one of your ideas without plans and sees where it takes you?

You might need more planning, but discovery writing might teach you what you need to plan on too-- either way, it's better to write than not write if you wanna get good at writing.

As a non-linear writer, I say write the parts you want to write. Whether it is the final fight or the meeting between two protagonists or even just them in a field, write it.

You'll start finding it easier to write everything else if you have a scene to work towards. It doesn't matter if you change that later, you're a writer, you can do what you want with you own story.
This is also a good direction, and will probably teach you more about what you need to plan-- if you even do need to plan.

Ruti

Your toes are now forklift. Get licensed now!
You could try plotting the outline even more, but sometimes it's good to just start writing and figure it out as you go.
yep. Sometimes, you go with the flow. MC finished everything they could in a certain location? Make them go to some other location and have a goal in mind of what you want to happen by the time they leave that location, then think "what do they need to do to reach said goal" and make it from there. Basically, there should ALWAYS be some sort of goal in your mind to what should happen. Whether its clear, defined, or constantly changing matters not. What matters, is that there is something to work towards, regardless of whether its immediately relevant, or not going to be relevant in the slightest until like 200 chapters later

sometimes you'll get sidetracked and make a whole other plotline for the MC to follow. That's fine, and sometimes even very beneficial, since that's yet another direction you can take to add to the end goal.

Sometimes you'll think "MC is WAY to weak for what needs to be done" and that's fine, just make it a goal to make MC stronger eventually. No space for it? then make the MC fail at something important, make it a big event, and a possible eye opener make the MC have a desire to get stronger naturally, rather then some random 6 month time skip midway through to get suddenly stronger. Then during that, add more characters or plotline that leads to your end goal.

It's basically a "make a goal to reach a goal for the sake of reaching a bigger goal" on repeat, until you reach the point where you have finally reached the end goal, and no new goals are needed to reach it. No need to make the end goal clear at the start either; most dont anyways, and those that do have a new goals eventually replace it eventually, whether it be due to new things happening in story that makes it hard, or a new viewpoint of MC

Last edited:

owotrucked

Chronic lecher masquerading as a writer
Don't lock yourself too hard on the beginning and end, just focus on the journey rather than the goal. After all, it's the bulk of the story. The beginning and end are just a few chapters worth of content

If you struggle to know where to take the first step, think about how you like to solve problem.

For instance, I like violence. But gratuitous violence ain't that enjoyable. So we need to set up:
-ragebait punching bags to beat up (a monster who killed someone, a criminal, a rude student, a vile person)
-their strength to threaten the MC (superior physique)
-their weakness (uncooperative, greedy, injury, training flaw)
-the process for MC to discover and access the weakness (mentor, allies, cheat key, MC's untapped potential, new way to use skills, MC's gigabrain)
-a stake to the conflict to prevent MC from giving up (MC's life, a waifu, lifesavings, graduation)
-rewards that add tools for the next ordeal

Don't hesitate to use clichés, and add your unique spin to it

QuercusMalus

A bad apple...
What is the starting point of your story?
What is the end point?
What has to occur to get you from point A to point B?

Example: Point A: Your MC lives in a small farming village.
Point B: Your MC, with his band of loyal followers, infiltrates the Evil Overlords castle and slays him in a one on one duel in the throne room.

So you have your start and end point, but no connection, so fill it in by adding in points like

-Empires troops overrun the village, MC watches family be killed or taken as slaves.
-MC runs, is chased by some of the raiders, escapes, is injured, poisoned, starving ect, runs into/ is found old man who trains him, nurses him back to life, ect.

Every event that occurs is the new Point B and your job is to fill in what has to happen to get you there.

If you have and scenes that you absolutely want to include, write those first, place them in the story and then write the in-between, the things that have to happen for that scene to occur.

Thraben

There are two ways to begin writing at a pace you will be satisfied with:

Hard Drugs
Sleep Deprivation

Also, for directions to write in, starting in the top right and going across the page, followed by down a line, is usually the best direction to go in.

There's no shortcut for this stuff, writing might be the only thing I have ever encountered wherein 'bootstrapping' really is the key to personally defined success.

KrisVFX

God of Creation
This is the most relatable meme I've seen in awhile.

The best thing you can do, is start small. Better with something than nothing.
  1. Start Small: Kick off with a few characters. They don't need names yet, just a reason to be in your story.
  1. Pick Your Setting: Figure out what kind of world you want to build. Is it a fantasy land, a futuristic city, or something else? Think about what makes your world unique.
Now, we're going somewhere. You have a few characters, and a world where they can live in.
Whats next?
  1. Decide on the Story Type: What mood are you aiming for? Comedy, drama, action, or a mix? Knowing this helps set the tone.
  1. Plot Ideas: Start mapping out your story. Where does it begin? What happens next? Sketch out some key scenes.

Begin writing some short scenes for your novel. For example:​
  • Character one suddenly earned power. Wow? How? A new mystery?
  • Character one learns to use his powers.
  • Character one also learns that there are also others than him, and they come after his life.
  • Character one meets character two, and team up.
  • Character two explains to character one that everyone is killing because that way they can steal their power.
  • The plot thickens.
  1. Expand Characters: Dive deeper into who your characters are. What's their personality? Backstory? Powers?
  1. Plan Each Chapter: Outline what happens in each part of your story. This keeps everything moving forward.
  1. Revise and Refine: Go back and tweak your plan as needed.

Each writer has its own ways of making their own story come to life, which is why I would suggest finding your own inspiration and methods. But if this helps, then thats great.
Hopefully, this method is some help to you as a starting point.