Adventurer's Guild Adventurer's Guild - OOC Room

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Then no chance, because Liana is going to get a face full of the holy hammer. ( No, stop it. Not what you think )

Oh no what have I done....
*Liana gets Solet's 'Holy Hammer' shoved into her face*
'o'

"It's smaller than I expected..."

X

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Oh, I know how that feels! It's why I let go of Hikari in original AG... Her life was just so so so so sooooooooo depressing at that point... T.T

She was a really strong self-insertion, so I felt a lot of her pain... It was too hard to keep writing for her... I mean, it was easy back when I felt as bad as she did, but... Once I got better, it was so tough! >.<

I ended up abandoning her for my own sake... It was a pretty hard decision... Glad I never had to do that again though! \(^^)/

So uhn... I understand how you feel! Writing an emotionally troubled character is really hard! >.<
Mhmm, Okarin wasn't intended to be a very strong self-insert character, but they surprisingly ended up more relatable for me than I expected. :blob_happy: I've been in tough relationships before, so it's a bit interesting for me to re-process some of the things I used to think back then. :blob_evil: That said, I hope I'm not stuck with Okarin in a bad-end hole, although I am also prepared to kill them off if need be.

About shifting ruin, the problem is that there is a certain lack of plot, but that'll be fixed with the introduction of mecha and somewhat-futuristic civilization, who is currently battling against the underground race kingdom to defend the ancient ruin from their nasty hand. They have a bad history so the mecha would be perfectly okay to enlist the help of Adventurer Guild.

The Quest Board would be mainly exploration and treasure hunting/recovery, and collaboration with mecha civilization ( or darker route, helping both sides ), as they were afraid to go aboveground ( using forbidden technology and marked by Gods of Tonia ). The ruin, although always remained in a constant shift, would have proper layers that never intersected, and can be used as the benchmark for the adventurers' progress. Maybe some uncovering about the purpose of the ruins, or some recovery of influential figures who once disappeared?

The E-ranked exam would be to get into the inner area of the ruin alone and survived with at least one good artefact in hand. D-ranked would be to infiltrate the Underground Race Kingdom as a war slave, and obtain as much information as possible, while remained alive until another war begins and the mecha came to save you. C-ranked, doing the impossible, would be fighting against the Ruin Guardian, who are smexy Andriod (the sole reason why this quest existed ) and went into the true core region of the ruin.

The motivation for the Guild would be, constant supply of artefacts to help to do business as well as supporting Gelderholm, get some techs and knowledge from the mecha civilization, and if we went darker route, doing business with both the mecha and the underground race to maximize the profits by prolonging their struggle.

That's it... My brain is about to fry so please help me come up with something! I intended it to be C region, and can gradually make it to B region if we really wanted some high-quality dungeon raid at the true core area of the ruin.

(PS: This ruin can also be the reason why Holy Roman Empire wanted to expand towards Scribel City!)
Wow, this is really dense as usual! :blob_happy:

I think my first comment would probably be to simplify it. Something that I think I've started to develop a better sense for is that complicated quests aren't popular and they simply don't get taken except by the same 1-2 players. I think this is similarly true for regions. If it's a struggle to summarize the region in ~100 words, then it's probably too complex for most players to find it really approachable.

The second is that there's too much content packed, and at least split it into multiple regions (I think I said similar things about your original Spire Reef too?). Underground Kingdom is clearly it's own region, as is the Mecha Kingdom. Merging them just gets messy.

My third comment is that "exploration quests" don't fill a whole quest board (~50 quests per region). It's literally one quest: "Explore the Dungeon" -- and then the quest board ends up being blank(???). It's too open-ended to really provide a solid sense of guidance, and ends up being equally open-ended as a shape-shifting dungeon quest that at best can only provide a tiny handful exploration quests? This is in contrast to an ordinary dungeon where you can have an: "Explore the Fifth Floor East Dungeon - Arctic Biome" where it's more tightly constrained.

My fourth comment was something that Alice was worried about in previous versions of AG, but there's a serious concern that characters who start spawning tons of high-value artifacts for cheap especially since it is so easily attainable on a Guild Quest. There ends up being severe power creep due to infinite artifact inflation, and power creep is something that I intend to regulate extremely tightly on this version of AG.

And I think those are my main comments for now! ^^

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
I think my first comment would probably be to simplify it. Something that I think I've started to develop a better sense for is that complicated quests aren't popular and they simply don't get taken except by the same 1-2 players. I think this is similarly true for regions. If it's a struggle to summarize the region in ~100 words, then it's probably too complex for most players to find it really approachable.

The second is that there's too much content packed, and at least split it into multiple regions (I think I said similar things about your original Spire Reef too?). Underground Kingdom is clearly it's own region, as is the Mecha Kingdom. Merging them just gets messy.

My third comment is that "exploration quests" don't fill a whole quest board (~50 quests per region). It's literally one quest: "Explore the Dungeon" -- and then the quest board ends up being blank(???). It's too open-ended to really provide a solid sense of guidance, and ends up being equally open-ended as a shape-shifting dungeon quest that at best can only provide a tiny handful exploration quests? This is in contrast to an ordinary dungeon where you can have an: "Explore the Fifth Floor East Dungeon - Arctic Biome" where it's more tightly constrained.

My fourth comment was something that Alice was worried about in previous versions of AG, but there's a serious concern that characters who start spawning tons of high-value artifacts for cheap especially since it is so easily attainable on a Guild Quest. There ends up being severe power creep due to infinite artifact inflation, and power creep is something that I intend to regulate extremely tightly on this version of AG.

Summary: There is a shifting ruin, and there is good stuff! Also, maybe there are some lores in there! Mecha Civilization and the Underground Kingdom is but a side-story ( for an excuse to upgrade the region or simply lead to another region! )

I usually added tons of stuff in it so that other players could, if they wished to, expanded the region outwards. Will we interact with the Mecha Civilization? Probably, but they won't be the focus of the region. Just like the Underwater Kingdom in Spire Reef, I just wanted to leave a leeway/excuse to further expand the region outwards, possibly creating another region if the level cap is hit.

As I said, we have specific layers that never interacted, so there can be constrains. E.g. 'The Mecha discovered that the first layer have this one thing in common, and its desert theme!'. Or, we can go to the Special Token Route, where, there would be tokens for hidden/ordinary room that, upon usage, could bring the adventurers to the destinated location.

Artefacts must be rare, so we can substitute OP treasures with just ancient but common ingredients essential for something but are already extinct/super-hard-to-find. The hope for OP artefacts is just motivation for the Guild to establish at the region, after all.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Wow, this is really dense as usual! :blob_happy:

On another note, I think I would also like to see more regions that don't follow the battle formula too.

I.E. Mobs of X is attacking Z, so war!!!!!!!

:blob_happy: There are a lot of ways to build quest boards that aren't necessarily military/war based.

Like here's an example:

The patron river god of the village Z is angry and demands a new sacrifice every week. Generic NPCs are regularly tossed into the lake, which leads to an underwater dungeon of many mysterious things. The Quest Board consists of a long quest chain (as well as slice-of-life things to do around the village) centered around rescuing a Generic NPC, angering the River God, and then finally appeasing the River God.​

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
On another note, I think I would also like to see more regions that don't follow the battle formula too.

:blob_happy: There are a lot of ways to build quest boards that aren't necessarily military/war based.

Like here's an example:

The patron river god of the village Z is angry and demands a new sacrifice every week. Generic NPCs are regularly tossed into the lake, which leads to an underwater dungeon of many mysterious things. The Quest Board consists of a long quest chain (as well as slice-of-life things to do around the village) centered around rescuing a Generic NPC, angering the River God, and then finally appeasing the River God.​
The main reason for this ruin is also to avoid "WAR!!!!" formula too! Maybe the D-ranked exam one needed some rework, but I'm not sure what to do... To conjure a sense of defeated and helpless in the shifting ruin is hard...

Bochi

Like here's an example:

Breaking news: Oni Horde annihilate the Slime Horde, and march on to Scribel City!

build quest boards that aren't necessarily military/war based.
Like a quest chain that leads to Magical Nene in priestess academy?

Exorcist Wanted!!
Sponsor: The Scribel City Council Undead Suppression Initiative (SCC:USI)Location: Various Scribel City Outskirts wildernessLevel: 5
Objectives
  • Find a wandering spirit or undead in the wilderness
  • help the spirit into the afterlife
  • (Optional): Resolve / report dangerous anomalies
It is no secret that the world is a dangerous place, often adventurers perish in the wilderness and not even their would bodies remain due to animals and monsters.

However! their lingering spirits remain. Some scare, and trick travellers, others try to possess bodies of others or cast malicious curses, and there are those that become powerful undead and try to kill what ever they can find.

Should you are interested in this opportunity, come your nearest council branch office to apply. There you may choose to borrow a Basic Tome of Spirit suppression magic and rites, it contains some small magics and non-magical solutions to locate as well as soothe the emotions of hostile spirits.

Do return the tome in the state you borrow it in, any damage or mishap to the book will see your reward deducted significantly.

If you encounter a malignant spirit or powerful undead and the tome have no solution for it, please escape, the council is not in the business of adding more wandering spirits into the wilderness.

And It goes without saying, should you have to run away or leave spirits you encounter wandering, your reward will be deduced accordingly
Rewards
Exp: 190Money: 35GOther: N/A

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Mhm! It looks a lot cleaner without two kingdoms included with the shifting dungeon!

The hope for OP artefacts is just motivation for the Guild to establish at the region, after all.
I think I just have a strong personal bias against OP artifacts in general.

I'd almost prefer that they simply don't exist, or at the very least they're not attainable through a conventional quest board.

The reasoning for this is that an OP artifact absolutely shatters the equilibrium of any world, which messes with the stability of the IC universe (and hence the quest board). SHF AG operates on a lower average power level compared to typical OP isekai or xianxia, and I'm hesitant to see it creep with idk... random cult decides to nuke the capital of the Holy Human Empire and therefore easily break the entire quest board.

There's a very specific reason why Rank A/S is virtually impossible to attain... and that's to avoid characters (or artifacts) that are capable of easily shattering quest boards in that fashion. And if not characters... if characters are able to attain that level of power, it also means that NPCs/countries are capable of it, which screws with stability even further when you have Super Mega Empire X with a black hole generator.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Mhm! It looks a lot cleaner without two kingdoms included with the shifting dungeon!

I think I just have a strong personal bias against OP artifacts in general.

I'd almost prefer that they simply don't exist, or at the very least they're not attainable through a conventional quest board.

The reasoning for this is that an OP artifact absolutely shatters the equilibrium of any world, which messes with the stability of the IC universe (and hence the quest board). SHF AG operates on a lower average power level compared to typical OP isekai or xianxia, and I'm hesitant to see it creep with idk... random cult decides to nuke the capital of the Holy Human Empire and therefore easily break the entire quest board.

There's a very specific reason why rank A/S is virtually impossible to attain... and that's to avoid characters (or artifacts) that are capable of easily shattering quest boards in that fashion.
That's why the first ever post about the ruin I mentioned 'rumoured about an artefact that could slay Hydra'. After all, it was meant to be unobtainable, but a good enough hope for Gelderholm and Adventurer Guild.

Also, I have a plan for a layer to be an illusion-based layer, that would bring out the worst trauma of the adventurers, and if they could not confront it and solved it ( or simply come into term with their experience ), they would never be able to leave. I was planning for it to be B-ranked with slight tweaking, but for now, it seemed perfect for D-ranked exam!

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
That's why the first ever post about the ruin I mentioned 'rumoured about an artefact that could slay Hydra'. After all, it was meant to be unobtainable, but a good enough hope for Gelderholm and Adventurer Guild.

Also, I have a plan for a layer to be an illusion-based layer, that would bring out the worst trauma of the adventurers, and if they could not confront it and solved it ( or simply come into term with their experience ), they would never be able to leave. I was planning for it to be B-ranked with slight tweaking, but for now, it seemed perfect for D-ranked exam!
'-'
*thinks about how Liana's worst trauma so far is Jasper*

X

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Mhm... although... we had a similar discussion about having a Kraken for Spire Reef...

For this type of game, as soon as the idea is suggested, inb4 someone goes ahead and kills the Kraken.

Basically suggesting that something is "rumored" to exist => players interpreting that it definitely exists and they find it on the first floor treasure chest.

There's sort of a game design rule that if you don't want players to do/break something... the most reliable way to ensure that is simply to never give players the opportunity to break it.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Mhm... although... we had a similar discussion about having a Kraken for Spire Reef...

For this type of game, as soon as the idea is suggested, inb4 someone goes ahead and kills the Kraken.

Basically suggesting that something is "rumored" to exist => players interpreting that it definitely exists and they find it on the first floor treasure chest.
How about just get the artefacts out and simply 'the ancient knowledge and lost technology from the ruin might help us against fighting the Hydra?"