Dive into the Metadata – A ScribbleHub Analysis of Smut

YuujiEveryleaf

Something to also consider.

"smut" is basically wish-fulfillment, the genre.
Wish-fulfillment will always generate views and readers (links to five billion fanfics and opmcharemnovels). It doesn't mean that it's great or even good. Just that there will always be readers for it.
Bad wish-fulfillment will gain more views and readers than bad drama.
"Action" will not always be wish-fulfillment.
Thus on average "smut" outperforms "action".

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
One for example is that 15% of every novel has only one chapter. ONE!

That’s more than zero, but less than a novel should have.

Another sad news is that 75% of novels aren’t updated at all. They have 0 chapters/week and although I don’t know how this is counted, it´s still a pretty large percentage.
:blob_frown: I wonder why...
Some thoughts on this: Not everything on this site is necessarily a novel. Like, short stories might only have one chapter and be finished with that. Are those 15% all un-finished or are there also finished short stories among those?
Also, the updates are averaged over the last 30 days as far as I know. Stories that have been finished for more than 30 days have thus 0 chapters/week. The same for stories that just haven't updated in more than a month. I think they're put in the 'hiatus' status after 3 months if I remember correctly.

So I guess that would both leave the question in how far you've accounted for finished stories in your data?

bloodyWriter

Some thoughts on this: Not everything on this site is necessarily a novel. Like, short stories might only have one chapter and be finished with that. Are those 15% all un-finished or are there also finished short stories among those?
Also, the updates are averaged over the last 30 days as far as I know. Stories that have been finished for more than 30 days have thus 0 chapters/week. The same for stories that just haven't updated in more than a month. I think they're put in the 'hiatus' status after 3 months if I remember correctly.

So I guess that would both leave the question in how far you've accounted for finished stories in your data?

Simply put, I couldn´t. To do this, I would need 5045 requests instead of just 195. But a quick search reveals that only 22 pages of novels are completed, so that´s around 11% of all of them. In comparison, there are 96 pages of hiatus novels.

bloodyWriter

@GDLiZy then they're "popular" and not "good". "Good" is implying quality.
They are good at getting views per chapter. That´s what I meant.

I know it's probably impossible, but is there any way to gather data about deleted books? Like, they remain in our reading lists as links (albeit dead).

Just from the genre category I keep tabs on a couple of times a week, I know that there had been at least 4 novels deleted right above my rank within 3 months. And I think some of them (actually, I believe all 4) were tagged smut. Only one ended up with an edited version later. The rest just vanished.

It made me curious as to why they were deleted and if there was a pattern to their disappearing... (like, if smut authors were more likely to delete their books? Probably not, but still curious).

:blob_frown: I wonder why...
That´s impossible, at least for me. Deleted books don´t show up in any list, except the one you mentioned.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
You don't need to make things so complicated. :blob_evil_two: Just check some authors and compare their smut stories with their non-smut stories. You will detect a significant divergence despite them being the same authors. How is that possible? They are the same authors. Their writing is the same.

bloodyWriter

You don't need to make things so complicated. :blob_evil_two: Just check some authors and compare their smut stories with their non-smut stories. You will detect a significant divergence despite them being the same authors. How is that possible? They are the same authors. Their writing is the same.

Maybe their other stories are just boring? Or these authors are made for writing smut.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Simply put, I couldn´t. To do this, I would need 5045 requests instead of just 195. But a quick search reveals that only 22 pages of novels are completed, so that´s around 11% of all of them. In comparison, there are 96 pages of hiatus novels.
Oh, that's interesting. I guess it wouldn't lower the percentage much then.

Assurbanipal_II

Maybe their other stories are just boring? Or these authors are made for writing smut.

I doubt so. One case sure, but it is a general phenomenon. While their smut stories get much attention, their non smut stories get bvery little. I doubt it is related to their apparent "talent".

bloodyWriter

I doubt so. One case sure, but it is a general phenomenon. While their smut stories get much attention, their non smut stories get bvery little. I doubt it is related to their apparent "talent".
You still have some problems with this approach. For example you will never know for sure by how much smut gets more views. Or if it is only the case by authors you are aware of, for example those that hit trending.

Assurbanipal_II

You still have some problems with this approach. For example you will never know for sure by how much smut gets more views. Or if it is only the case by authors you are aware of, for example those that hit trending.

Just take enough samples and you reduce the error margin.

Queenfisher

Bird?

Hmm... now, what makes me also wonder is how reader turnout factor into this? Like, new users vs old users (how many reread smut?) and also the link between registered users giving smut reads vs the guests? (By registered users I mean users willing to mark themselves as readers of a smut story (so that their trace is visible) vs reading without actually being a follower).

By this I mean only a few stories I observed with strange ratios of actual readers (very low) to views (very high). No beef here, just curious :blob_cookie:

Assurbanipal_II

Some samples on which I base my observations.
1602173381182.png

bloodyWriter

Just take enough samples and you reduce the error margin.
By hand?

Hmm... now, what makes me also wonder is how reader turnout factor into this? Like, new users vs old users (how many reread smut?) and also the link between registered users giving smut reads vs the guests? (By registered users I mean users willing to mark themselves as readers of a smut story (so that their trace is visible) vs reading without actually being a follower).

By this I mean only a few stories I observed with strange ratios of actual readers (very low) to views (very high). No beef here, just curious :blob_cookie:
So, the average is 0.005975 reader/view and smut novels have 0.00535 reader/view. Smut stories have around 11% less reader subscription, although there can be multiple reasons for this: Rereads, how views are counted in general, readers that are only here for smut and so on.

Assurbanipal_II

Those are all popular smut novels, what about those that arent?

The issue isn't about finding popular smut novels, but finding smut author who also write non smut stories. They tend to stay in their genre if you understand what I mean.

bloodyWriter

The issue isn't about finding popular smut novels, but finding smut author who also write non smut stories. They tend to stay in their genre if you understand what I mean.
I actually don´t. What is your conclusion based on this sample size?

But I admit I didn't run the analysis and I also don't know how you got to your values and how you weighted them.
I took all novels from this site (except the deleted ones) and compared them by tags.