Rejected from Royal Road for a "sexual cover," now posting on Scribble Hub

Satansoul

useless member
Yeah, no, my Local Elf novel was initially declined because of that exact same reason. Sexual cover.

So what did I do? I swapped that cover for a lewder one, and somehow it went through. Still up till this day.

It's truly a gacha of all time.
I remember royal road had a limit on the number of smut chapters, how did that novel get a warning just for cover...

Mikan_Citrus

I remember royal road had a limit on the number of smut chapters, how did that novel get a warning just for cover...
Apparently from what I've seen the limit is only 10% or 15% smut, but the first chapter I uploaded with my novel doesn't even have anything lewd in the actual contents! It truly is absurd, literal circus over there at RR.

Mikan_Citrus

@Mikan_Citrus

Just add a few swords to the cover. Then reroll.
Lmao, on a more serious note I've considered changing the cover but that doesn't really feel right to me, it's my book after all and I want to publish it however I want. Also, it would just be weird to have different covers for the same book. The cover isn't even sexual either as mentioned, not that it matters to the clown mods at RR though, lol. At the very least this situation has made me laugh a lot, which is a plus. If I end up going through with trying to post my book on RR again and posting on the forums over there, I'll make sure to update you all over here at SH.
I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only one who's come out of RR with a good experience.

Welcome to SH.
Seems like it aha.

Thank you for the welcome! I'm already liking it here.

Last edited:

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
just to throw extra 'lolwut?' on the haphazard moderating of RR, i present to you the cover of Everybody Loves Large Chests which is more sexualized than OP's cover (though has been around for many years)

prognastat

So you didn't bother to continue talking to them about it? From the replies of everyone in this thread so far (which have been hilarious, I love it here on SH already!), it really does seem like it's not worth going through the effort of posting on RR with how much of a hassle it is. Seems like a shame though since I could potentially reach people on RR that would be interested in my work, even if it's just a few more readers at most, but I'm still currently undecided whether or not I should go through with continuing my appeal over there. I'm also considering posting on the forums in RR too, for whatever that is worth, if anything!
I'll be honest. I'm not that familiar with RR as I wasn't a reader there and just knew it existed because people had mentioned it. I was already posting on WN and SH well before then and figured it might not hurt to post there too for a little extra exposure. When they declined every submission I made I just shrugged and decided it wasn't meant to be.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
@Corty 🚨🚨🚨
This shitty brat! UUUOOOHHH! 😭💢💢💢
Accept it, my vampire friend. We can’t fight the meme and can't turn SH into Vampire Hub.

@Mikan_Citrus

Also, welcome~! And obligatory spam of my thread for newcomers:

Mikan_Citrus

Accept it, my vampire friend. We can’t fight the meme and can't turn SH into Vampire Hub.

@Mikan_Citrus

Also, welcome~! And obligatory spam of my thread for newcomers:

Oh, hello! Thank you, and wow it's the same person who wrote the beginner guide that I've been using to study SH! It's really helpful, so I appreciate the guide.

MajorKerina

I stopped bothering with Royal Road because the people there get all uppity about something all the time.

Lysander_Works

As for if it's worth it or not, I am still considering that since RR does get a lot of traffic, and I have seen that at least a decent amount of the readers over there are willing to pay for the work of authors, such as on Patreon, and some authors make a surprising amount of money from that! So currently I am still somewhat interested in posting my work over there, even if it's just to get some people interested in my writing, but I am still in the middle of making my decision of whether or not I should post in the forums in RR or not—let alone speak with the moderators.
I mean, yeah, that's the same kind of thought I would have. Instead of being mad at them and rage quitting RR, I'd first try to see if I could get around their BS and use them before they use me, considering how hypocritical they want to be. It would not be difficult to try it I don't think, submitting first chapter with stock cover and then editing to swap covers after approval I mean.
are willing to pay for the work of authors, such as on Patreon
Seriously? I really wish I understood Patreon enough to make use of it, but for some reason that website to me is like new technology to an 80 year old granny who's never touched a pc in their life. I'd need a personal trainer to finally get how I'm supposed to use it or understand it.
Is it because of Patreon specifically, or is it just a matter of having a donate button on the ready?
Yeah, no, my Local Elf novel was initially declined because of that exact same reason. Sexual cover.

So what did I do? I swapped that cover for a lewder one, and somehow it went through. Still up till this day.

It's truly a gacha of all time.

See? I knew it was possible.
Perfectly normal cover ~ "Nah, that's too sexual."
Uncensored, unclothed, fully zoomed in on crotch ~ "Yup, everything looks fine to me."

Mikan_Citrus

Okay, so the the mods at RR responded again...

Support Ticket Images:

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Screenshot 3

Screenshot 4

Yeah... I get the feeling these clowns don't even know how to run their own site, they are totally unaware of what's even being posted there. They even admitted themselves that they only manually approve submissions during the initial vetting, but after that they clearly don't even bother to look into it since the authors just change the covers after getting approved lmao. What a pain in the neck, unless you're a total prude with the cover it seems like you'll just get rejected regardless as of late. However, it's "okay" if you edit the cover after the fact—duly noted.

I have a feeling they'll just get even stricter though after my appeals with my work lol.
Uh oh

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Okay, so the the mods at RR responded again...

Support Ticket Images:

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Screenshot 3

Screenshot 4

Yeah... I get the feeling these clowns don't even know how to run their own site, they are totally unaware of what's even being posted there. They even admitted themselves that they only manually approve submissions during the initial vetting, but after that they clearly don't even bother to look into it since the authors just change the covers after getting approved lmao. What a pain in the neck, unless you're a total prude with the cover it seems like you'll just get rejected regardless as of late. However, it's "okay" if you edit the cover after the fact—duly noted.

I have a feeling they'll just get even stricter though after my appeals with my work lol.

Uh oh
Two choices for writing sites.

SH, where lewdness is rampant

RR, where lewdness is treated like radioactive waste.