[Tutorial] For new users of Scribble Hub!

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
Okay, this time, I made sure to look the tutorial closely multiple times, to not find the answer to this question...

I've been using this site for my stories for a couple of months now, and I'm liking it! I'm getting more engagement than I was on DeviantArt. Still, I've been intending to draw for my content as well, and that includes the book covers here. Now that I'm finally getting the chance to draw more, I was hoping to make my book covers myself! (Profile image is my own digitally hand-drawn character, Embra, from the Stories of Embra series I'm posting here.)

As I've been shopping around, I noticed another site has a file size limit to the book cover image (Tapas, btw; 2MB). So my question is, does Scribble Hub have a file size limit for book cover images? Just want to make sure before I start going at it and make something that's too data-intensive...
When you go to submit a cover image, this is above it. (A brand new story might look a bit different, I don't remember.)
tohelp2.png

I think there is a file size limit, but I'm unsure what it is exactly.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
@CrystalSeaDragon44 I advise you to crop the image to the size stated by the site. (250x350) Otherwise it will be smushed and distorted. That way your file size will be also within any limit if there is any.

CrystalSeaDragon44

I get that it has to fit in the 250x350 px size box, but what I'm wondering (given it's advice offered elsewhere) is whether I can boost the size by multiples of that (say, 500x700, or two times the size) and export it as the corresponding fraction (1/2 or 50%, for this example).

If that works, then it's just a matter of how big the file can be, in kilobytes/megabytes. 500x700 is going to be a lot less data than 2500x3500 (no, I wouldn't go that big... I'm pretty sure). But it seems the limit isn't known in this regard...

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I get that it has to fit in the 250x350 px size box, but what I'm wondering (given it's advice offered elsewhere) is whether I can boost the size by multiples of that (say, 500x700, or two times the size) and export it as the corresponding fraction (1/2 or 50%, for this example).

If that works, then it's just a matter of how big the file can be, in kilobytes/megabytes. 500x700 is going to be a lot less data than 2500x3500 (no, I wouldn't go that big... I'm pretty sure). But it seems the limit isn't known in this regard...
If you make the picture larger than 250x350, it will shrink the image Paint style, and fidelity will be lost.

In other words, you can, but it will be uglier.

As for size, umm... Don't take this as gospel, because I only did a little tiny bit of testing and only on this forum rather than the cover image. But an 1,025 KB image was considered 'Too Large'. Stuff below that seemed to work. I'm extremely suspicious that something a little funky is going on though, because I'm sure I've uploaded larger images.

Either way, it's best to work with a 250x350 image, especially if you want to put text on the cover.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
As for size, umm... Don't take this as gospel, because I only did a little tiny bit of testing and only on this forum rather than the cover image. But an 1,025 KB image was considered 'Too Large'. Stuff below that seemed to work. I'm extremely suspicious that something a little funky is going on though, because I'm sure I've uploaded larger images.
If it's anything like NUF, file type might also alter the limit of what you can upload to the forums.

JPG in NUF has a higher limit than PNG, so maybe that's what happened there.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
If it's anything like NUF, file type might also alter the limit of what you can upload to the forums.

JPG in NUF has a higher limit than PNG, so maybe that's what happened there.
Funnily enough, I checked that. The 1025 image that failed was a jpg. It's still quite likely that the limit is different, but I'm not going to spend more time on it cause I've gotta go get dinner soon.

TotallyHuman

I think there is a very curious thing about forum rss that I have found about forum rss.

I am not sure of how useful it will be but here it is:

SH Forum has rss feed of its own and it is easy to find:
rss1.jpg

which looks like this when you open in a browser
rss2.jpg

and like this in an rss feed reader (feeder on android):
rss3.jpg

Let's open one "article"
rss4.jpg

And see "full text"
rss5.jpg

What is more curious is when you open one particular forum and search for an index.rss file there:
rss6.jpg

Same treatement as before:
rss7.jpg

rss8.jpg

rss10.jpg

This clearly is not particularly useful but I though it was funny enough so here it is.

I doubt it is possible to see individual threads*, and whether they would get updated properly, at least I could find no such thing.

I tried to find individual feeds for novels, which would make things much much better, but I also could do no such thing

I'll let @Corty decide if it's worth adding to the guide

*edit: after looking into it, it seems xenforo (which is framework/engine/thing which forum.scribblehub.com runs on) does not offer such a functionality in the first place:
Also, BB text editor mode is very useful for when your post has a tonne of file/image attachments.

Last edited:

Corty

I think there is a very curious thing about forum rss that I have found about forum rss.

I am not sure of how useful it will be but here it is:

SH Forum has rss feed of its own and it is easy to find:
View attachment 22262
which looks like this when you open in a browserView attachment 22264
and like this in an rss feed reader (feeder on android):
View attachment 22265
Let's open one "article"
View attachment 22266
And see "full text"
View attachment 22267

What is more curious is when you open one particular forum and search for an index.rss file there:
View attachment 22270
Same treatement as before:
View attachment 22268
View attachment 22269
View attachment 22271
View attachment 22263

This clearly is not particularly useful but I though it was funny enough so here it is.

I doubt it is possible to see individual threads, and whether they would get updated properly, at least I could find no such thing.

I tried to find individual feeds for novels, which would make things much much better, but I also could do no such thing

I'll let @Corty decide if it's worth adding to the guide
Added it as an addendum to the RSS part of the tutorial!

stephalopod

I tried to find individual feeds for novels, which would make things much much better, but I also could do no such thing.

Is there anyone, anyone at all, who can find a way to do individual feeds for different stories? My RSS feed reader is organized by story for all other sites, so having ScribbleHub throw them all together in one feed is so jarring for my organization system. I would be much obliged. Thanks.

Corty

IMPORTANT DISCOVERY

If you have multiple scheduled chapters and you decide to write a public chapter, be it an addendum, notification, or whatever, DO NOT sort it. Don't drag it below the scheduled chapter, or it won't appear on the Latest Updates tab. You have to wait for the site to process it. It is best to sort it after you confirm it appeared on the front page or after the scheduled chapter is live and visible.

This has been added to the "Section-B, Scheduling" part of the tutorial.​

RiaCorvidiva

Lady with a Caws.
When searching for novels by genre, I know you can set the red [-] box to filter out genres, but the green [+] designation doesn't seem to do anything different than leaving the box unchecked at all.

Is there any way to say, I want to find novels that must contain Genres A and B, must not contain Genres C, D, and E, and then whether or not they have Genres F, G, and H don't matter -- I'm okay looking through them either way.

Because it seems like I can only do the latter two of those. There's no way to restrict an advanced search that I've seen to make it so I only see books that do have a genre, only a way to filter out genres.

SailusGebel

When searching for novels by genre, I know you can set the red [-] box to filter out genres, but the green [+] designation doesn't seem to do anything different than leaving the box unchecked at all.

Is there any way to say, I want to find novels that must contain Genres A and B, must not contain Genres C, D, and E, and then whether or not they have Genres F, G, and H don't matter -- I'm okay looking through them either way.

Because it seems like I can only do the latter two of those. There's no way to restrict an advanced search that I've seen to make it so I only see books that do have a genre, only a way to filter out genres.
I'm not sure I understood everything, but I assume you should simply change "or" to "and."