Do dreams truly reflect our subconscious selves.

So_Indecisive

Primordial sin of Sloth
In recent times I've had two dreams(nightmares) where I've done truly terrible things to people that I've been close to for years and even family. Does it mean that if push comes to shove I am capable of doing those things, without remorse, without hesitation.

Am I a bad person.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
In recent times I've had two dreams(nightmares) where I've done truly terrible things to people that I've been close to for years and even family. Does it mean that if push comes to shove I am capable of doing those things, without remorse, without hesitation.

Am I a bad person.
I don't think so.

I feel like it is more of you have some misgivings with them but unable to vocal out IRL, hence your brain decides to go fucky.

But remember, look at the actions and result, not the heart. The only thing actually matters is what you do IRL, nothing in your mind matters.

Ps. That sounds a bit off-putting, but still holds true to a certain degree.

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
if you didn't do any of those things, you're not a bad person. you can't blame yourself for things you THINK. our brains are stupid and illogical, so don't trust them.

DannyTheDaikon

| Azure tamer | Harbinger of chaos and soup

Am I a bad person.
You can't take dreams literally.

It more likely means that you're afraid of hurting the people close to you. Or you might have some grievances towards them and this is how your frustration manifests.

LilRora

Mostly formless
Don't think that the ability to do bad things, or thinking about them, or even wanting to do them makes you a bad person outright. Human minds are way more complex than that, and the black-and-white view of the world some people try to adhere to is often too simple to properly judge good and bad.

What would decide if you're a bad person, if anything here, would be how you feel after doing that bad thing, but even that can be misleading since good people can do really horrible things on their own volition and justify them perfectly if they are pushed too far.

ArchlordZero

Stage 4 Cancer Shitposter
Scientifically, no. Your dreams are made up of jumbled memories, long term and short term. Imagine yourself writing your first draft, incoherent and all over the place. Our dream works the same.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?

Am I a bad person.
Don't worry that's normal, there are no good or bad people.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
No, since I don't subconsciously want to destroy my brother's truck, I love it too much

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Am I a bad person.
Yes and heres's why: you WANT to do those things, deep down inside. But you dont because of ingrained fear of consequence,e which is how society functions. B ut action and intent to matter. Action -determines how others view you. Intent determines how you view yourself and how you actually are. Its your truest, darkest self. Dark, yes. But a truly good person doesn't have these dark selves. But so what if you are dark? Bad? t o quote the late great Paarthnurax: What is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
The gods never judge by intent, seemingly, anyway. It has always been action which has been punished
Scientifically, no. Your dreams are made up of jumbled memories, long term and short term. Imagine yourself writing your first draft, incoherent and all over the place. Our dream works the same.
how the fuck am i dreaming of a giant toast monster that wants to fuck me in the ass while we adventure through a dungeon? Your memory theory is simply fucked, mate, i dunno what else to tell ya. Dream interpretation is fucky

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
No.
Because the subconscious does not exist.
Freud was a fraud and psychoanalysis is bullshit. Explicit/Implicit memory theory is more accurate, reliable, and doesn't involve any mystical/magical/mumbo-jumbo Id/Ego/Superego nonsense.

Dreams are just your brain defragging.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Was it a nightmare? Not a bad person.

Was it a good dream? Bad person.

Can't decide? Morally greay.

Last edited:

TotallyHuman

There is no such a thing as a true self. but yes, if push comes to shove, sure you can, as anybody else, do horrible things to people you're close to, like your family.

Tempokai

Overworked One
Ah, venturing into the shadowy depths of the psyche, are we? Well, let's take a little Freudian slip down Jungian lane, shall we? If Carl Jung were here, he'd likely chuckle into his beard and say, "My dear, the only thing you're guilty of is having a vivid imagination and perhaps eating too much cheese before bed." But let's not oversimplify; after all, we're dealing with the human mind, a place more complex and twisted than a politician's promise.

First off, let's address the elephant in the room—or should I say, the shadow in your dreams. According to our good old friend Carl, everyone has a shadow self, a delightful collection of repressed ideas, weaknesses, desires, instincts, and shortcomings. It's like the storage room you shove everything into when unexpected guests arrive, except in this case, the guests are your waking consciousness, and the room is your subconscious.

Now, to your delightful nightmares where you're the star villain in your own horror show. These dreams don't mean you're secretly harboring a Dexter-level alter ego, itching to break free at the next full moon. No, they're just your psyche's way of taking out the trash, so to speak. Think of it as your mind's nightly cleaning service, sweeping away the emotional and psychological debris of the day. And boy, do they love drama. The subconscious mind is the Shakespeare of the brain, always adding a touch of tragedy and comedy, often at your expense.

So, are you a bad person? Absolutely not! Unless, of course, you've been stealing your neighbor's newspaper and blaming it on the dog. Jung might suggest that these dreams are simply a manifestation of your shadow self, the side of you that you'd rather not RSVP to at dinner parties. It's your mind's playful way of saying, "Hey, let's explore the darker sides without actually getting our hands dirty." It's all fun and games until someone loses an ego.

In essence, your dreams are an invitation to a meet-and-greet with your shadow self, a chance to understand and integrate these aspects into your waking life for a more balanced psyche. It's like getting to know the villain in your story and realizing they just need a hug and a good therapist.

So, before you start worrying about becoming the next headline in the local newspaper, remember that dreams are the mind's way of processing, exploring, and sometimes just messing with you for its entertainment. You're not a bad person; you're just human. And if push comes to shove, the only thing you're likely capable of doing without remorse or hesitation is hitting the snooze button one too many times.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I would say only sometimes. I think it is more often that dreams will project your fears in some way. I had nightmares that were easily explainable by the fears I had.

Tsuru

Am I a bad person.
As a person that mostly never have dreams, or heck could count having "dreams" under the number 30 probably, but have 50+ cognitive dreams and mostly "black void/wake-up-immediately-time-skip", i can't really give my oppinion on it.
-----
But saw a few years ago, some science documentary/websites, telling that basically, your brain turn off, and it try to reorganize all the scrumble mess you absorbed during the day. So Nota (2nd answerer) is kinda right about "brain going funky".

Also. It could simply be a "sign" that you are under very stress. Or that this "people" are causing you pain. Hopefully not.
--------
And finally, everyone is right about "what counts is your actions".
One fav analogy said in some chinese novels :
"A evil person that keep thinking atrocious thoughts but only did good deeds his whole life, isnt evil. But a good person, that do ONE (big) crime, is a evil person"
(offtopic) which also has a correlation in MHA about "hero being a job" and Hero Killer logic being bullshit about "hero no longer pure"
A hero saving people for money (wage), doesnt stop the fact he saved people. The "helped" doesnt care if you save for money or not, what counts is that his/her mother is alive and not a dead body.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
And finally, everyone is right about "what counts is your actions".
One fav analogy said in some chinese novels :
(offtopic) which also has a correlation in MHA about "hero being a job" and Hero Killer logic being bullshit about "hero no longer pure"
A hero saving people for money (wage), doesnt stop the fact he saved people. The "helped" doesnt care if you save for money or not, what counts is that his/her mother is alive and not a dead body.
True, everybody cares only aboutt the reality they want, everything else is a lie that is unacceptable.