Uncomfortable with beauty.

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
Am I the only one who gets uncomfortable and drops a novel when the main character is described as extremely handsome/beautiful and everyone wants to immediately rip of their clothes and procreate?
This might be something with me, but especially when it's written in First Person and I can't help but immerse myself, the compliments and comments when the character is showing off just make me kind of creeped out.

Is it because in the back of my mind I'm thinking "This is the author's fantasy. They wish this was happening to them"?

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Am I the only one who gets uncomfortable and drops a novel when the main character is described as extremely handsome/beautiful and everyone wants to immediately rip of their clothes and procreate?
Yes.

This might be something with me, but especially when it's written in First Person and I can't help but immerse myself, the compliments and comments when the character is showing off just make me kind of creeped out.
Well, I only write in 3rd person, past tense omniscient narrator.

Is it because in the back of my mind I'm thinking "This is the author's fantasy. They wish this was happening to them"?
No. It's sometimes the point. Read FTS in my sig file and tell me it's my fantasy. Because I put Toshi (the handsome one all the girls want to bang) through HELL.

GlassRose

Kaleidoscope of Harmonious Contradiction
No. It's sometimes the point. Read FTS in my sig file and tell me it's my fantasy. Because I put Toshi (the handsome one all the girls want to bang) through HELL.
I mean, that sounds like a different kind of fantasy...

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?

I don't care about the beauty of characters.
I mean, that sounds like a different kind of fantasy...
Every author has there own fantasies.

dummycake

Reality is oft unrealistic.
reality is often disappointing.

there's a story there though. my main problem it's more when it's blatant, and also it's in 3rd person so there's no teenage girls shouting my name when I punch the representation of my bully in middle school in my mind's eye.

GlassRose

Kaleidoscope of Harmonious Contradiction
I don't disagree, but sometimes it's less wish fulfillment and rather actually done for a good reason. I mean, you have to assume that there are people who are extremely attractive and go through that stuff, and if treated well it can be really interesting to explore, either the downsides of that kind of attention, and/or the way that kind of attention can twist someone's ego. Not that that is a very common story premise. Ultimately, I don't see a good-looking protagonist as something that bad, it's pretty common with society to associate good looks with good people, but yeah in cases where it's blatant wish fulfillment and is causing randos to just 'fall in love' for no reason and that's treated like a normal thing, it's cause to drop the book.

dummycake

I don't disagree, but sometimes it's less wish fulfillment and rather actually done for a good reason. I mean, you have to assume that there are people who are extremely attractive and go through that stuff, and if treated well it can be really interesting to explore, either the downsides of that kind of attention, and/or the way that kind of attention can twist someone's ego. Not that that is very common. Ultimately, I don't see a good-looking protagonist as something that bad, it's pretty common with society to associate good looks with good people, but yeah in cases where it's blatant wish fulfillment and is causing randos to just 'fall in love' for no reason and that's treated like a normal thing, it's cause to drop the book.
I think most times when it's not wish fulfillment their beauty is treated like a plot device, so it's easier to pick up that and immediately drop before it becomes (more) ridiculous.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
reality is often disappointing.
Put the gif.

Also, no. I do not feel disturbed because I can distance the MC from myself and still enjoy the ride.

DanielPotter

You're not the only one. I especially get turned off when female characters are introduced by how sexy they are, like when the author describes the sizes of their butt or boobs. That's a no no for me.

Satansoul

useless member
this was annoying for me too, but after reading "Demon sword maiden" and "When the earth wakes up, I become a female swordsman" I became immune to the excessive descriptions of the main character's appearance. :blob_salute:

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
this was annoying for me too, but after reading "Demon sword maiden" and "When the earth wakes up, I become a female swordsman" I became immune to the excessive descriptions of the main character's appearance. :blob_salute:
Well I think the same is true for me because these books are so extreme in this regard that it became comedic.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
At this point, they are edging (yes I mean the pun) to fap materials.