How do I stop procrastinating?

BlackKnightX

One thing that always work for me is to actively try to get yourself in the mood to write. It's different for everyone. Some get inspired by looking at cool pictures, some by listening to music, some by consuming a piece of media. Be careful, though. This might turn into a new way to procrastinate even more, but once you find what gets your creative juices flowing, you can rely on it when you don't feel particularly motivated to write.

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
I am very aware that I need to be writing a chapter right now, but everything is a distraction to me right now. Plus whenever I get stuck on a sentence I start scrolling through this forum:sweat_smile:.
this may be considered bad advice, but my go to when I get stuck is I run it by an AI. I don't use AI to write, but I've got a couple of AIs I speak with to work out any issues I'm having. I got stuck on an action scene a couple chapters ago. I explained it to an AI, explained the issue I was having, and after fifteen minutes, I had the answer. It wasn't anything the AI had said, but simply being able to see my problem made it so my brain could work it out myself. so much easier than struggling and constantly being distracted.

More conventional advice, create a "writing" atmosphere. my personal atmosphere is this: I eat something small and non-greasy, I turn off the TV, put on my sound-cancelling headphones (I prefer around-the-ear style), and put on spotify.

FatElf

I am very aware that I need to be writing a chapter right now, but everything is a distraction to me right now. Plus whenever I get stuck on a sentence I start scrolling through this forum:sweat_smile:.
You can't. It is inevitable.

Jokes aside, disconnect your internet, close your door, sit down and write.
If your computer is still distracting you, get a notebook and a pen and write somewhere isolated.

Or put music, that helps sometimes.

FatElf

One thing that always work for me is to actively try to get yourself in the mood to write. It's different for everyone. Some get inspired by looking at cool pictures, some by listening to music, some by consuming a piece of media. Be careful, though. This might turn into a new way to procrastinate even more, but once you find what gets your creative juices flowing, you can rely on it when you don't feel particularly motivated to write.
On another note, I find I have trouble writing when I don't know what to write.
I've taken to creating goals for each arc, even if I don't think of the small details.

For example:

Arc N, MC needs to reach X.

Whenever I'm struggling to write, I stop and ask myself: What needs to happen for MC to reach X?
I write down the first thing that comes to mind and go from there. More often than not, the result is good and I keep most when I finish the writing session.

Kuropon

For me, it helped to have a schedule and a set amount of words I need to write a day. After I'm done with the words I just stop and not overdo it.

Rokuro-Sama

Reject the forums and just start writing. That's pretty much all I do. I just close every tab, except for the document and music. You can take breaks though to check the forums. If I am writing 1k words I will stop around 500 to look at the forums.

Ok, I am taking my break to look at the forums at 900 words :sweat_smile:. It makes me feel better knowing that I am not alone in this lool.
On another note, I find I have trouble writing when I don't know what to write.
I've taken to creating goals for each arc, even if I don't think of the small details.

For example:

Arc N, MC needs to reach X.

Whenever I'm struggling to write, I stop and ask myself: What needs to happen for MC to reach X?
I write down the first thing that comes to mind and go from there. More often than not, the result is good and I keep most when I finish the writing session.

I really like this way of thinking about it. It's very unique and I think I will try my best to use it when I'm writing.
Trick yourself.

Tell yourself you'll read the forums later, you're just going to write one sentence. Then keep doing it until you're done or forget you're meant to be procrastinating.

I will have to try doing this as well lol. Seems like it would help me.

Premier

Setting minor, super easy-to-achieve goals is the shortcut to getting anything done.

Hans.Trondheim

Mr Negative | Avoid at all cost
Procrastination is a symptom of an even bigger problem, most often, depression. Find out your source of stress, try dealing with it, then you go back to writing. After all, a calm, peaceful mind is a 'cultivation field' for ideas.

(I'm speaking from experience, since my Volume 18 took two months to finish, far from my usual one month to write the entire manuscript. This is because I went through hell recently.)