You just caused a death. How do you feel?

How would you feel?

• Total voters

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
Because of a very harsh comment in a novel, the creator took their own life after reading it.

How would you feel about it?

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
If they kill themselve due to a comment, it's not the comment fault, there being other thing in their lives that pushed them on that way. The comment was just the last "push", but without it, it would be another thing that would do this last "push". So I probably won't care about it since I wouldn't heard of it anyway and also I rarely comment, I won't do that to comment harsh thing since I'm too lazy for that.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
it's because I left a relatively harsh comment in a fanfic I was reading, then I thought "what if they just killed themselves because of this?" and now I want to know your opinion!
Serious question: Do you think you are projecting your thoughts onto someone else?

Another thing is that you could delete the comment if it were offensive. If it is a critique, there will be no reason for them to kill themselves. That is extreme.

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
If it is a critique, there will be no reason for them to kill themselves. That is extreme.
I know it's extreme, it was just a passing thought, I don't really think they're going to do anything like that and I also don't think my comment was THAT harsh.

I would feel nothing because this scenario wouldn't happen in the first place.
So I probably won't care about it since I wouldn't heard of it anyway and also I rarely comment, I won't do that to comment harsh thing since I'm too lazy for that.
why can't a writer suspend their disbelief for a second and put themselves in this hypothetical...

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
I would probably not post the comment directly for the author to see in the first place

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I know it's extreme, it was just a passing thought, I don't really think they're going to do anything like that and I also don't think my comment was THAT harsh.

why can't a writer suspend their disbelief for a second and put themselves in this hypothetical...
I would say the problem is the presentation. Not only that, but this thread is a very risky and controversial topic.

GabrielTenma

Because of a very harsh comment in a novel, the creator took their own life after reading it.

If that's the reason and it wasn't a build-up of insecurities and the type with the comment being the breaking point (even If it was though). I don't feel like I would bear much responsibility! If one harsh comment can completely drive someone to ruin in this day and age then as harsh as it might sound. It's probably for the best that they departed.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
yeah... what do you suggest I do? maybe it's better if I delete it :(
I don't know. The thread doesn't violate any rules, I am pretty sure. However, having that third option in the poll is very baity. I question why that is there in the first place. If you want to discuss a topic seriously, there is no need for such an answer.

Looking at the thread even further is like bait. The title says, "You caused a death. How do you feel?" I had no image of anything like this when I first saw this thread. Though, I could be alone in that.

NineHeadHeavenDevouringSerpent

Horrible. If it was something i wrote I'd feel horrible and rightly so, because insulting someone just for their novel and to an extent where they felt to take their own life is simply a heinous crime.

Nobody should ever take words for granted, especially in these voiceless faceless chambers of chaos, nobody knows what the other is going through irl, nobody knows what they meant by their words and even simple jabs could trigger things that are out of hands.

Sure it isn't readers job to protect author's emotional state, but insulting is never ok. Give constructive criticism, be mindful in your words...

PancakesWitch

dont go to royal road guys, people there is so harsh it feels like they really want you to kill yourself over their comment/review
"Oh? a novel i didnt like? okay, I will go out of my way to write a 2000 word review about how bad it was and how the author should do a rewrite and change everything right now! I simply cannot tolerate the thought of a novel i dont like existing in the same plane of reality as me!"

Last edited:

fluffypie374

For me.... it would depend on the novel itself. If it was a novel I was just criticizing for purely being bad, then I wouldn't care. If it was a novel that I was into and I was criticizing because of a bad chapter, then I would feel angry... because I know the know was dropped from then on and I couldn't read more :blob_pout: Oh, is it bad that I'm not feeling bad? :blob_hide:

Rhaps

Master of Nightmare

I would laughed my ass off, that person is too weak. Can't even take criticism in an industry full of critics.