Top 5 Video Game Antagonists

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
So another topic of a top 5. list the top 5 video game villains you have fought against in a game. As long as they are in a video game, you can only use the context of the video game(s) they are in. Also, if it's not too much trouble, give a blurb on why they were your top 5.

SPOILER WARNING

5. Assassin's Creed 2 - the Pope - Look, I really enjoyed beating the shit out of the pope. Don't ask me why. Getting to play as Ezio and infiltrating the vatican to beat the shit out of him was just good fun.

4. Call of Duty Modern Warefare Original Trilogy - Makarov - Say what you want about the current crop of games, but the old crop was far far better. Makarov was a villain who was only a minor role in the first of the trilogy, then became the mastermind of the last two games who even took advantage of all the chaos that SAS 141 and LT Shepherd's feud cost. Makarov was always one step ahead no matter how many guys you shot, maneuvered everything well and had so many escape routes to the point where the only way to finally kill him was to have a 2 man assault with juggernaut armor on his giant buidling, and even then he almost got away by helicopter. I can only say LoL at this guy. The best part about the writing though was that he wasn't too ridiculous like in Call of Duty Ghosts, and wasn't too bland like the more recent call of duty's that are trash in my opinion when it comes to story writing and character.

3. Devil May Cry (not the shitty DmC version) - Vergil - Although he doesn't stay bad for ever, in Devil May Cry 3 he's the villain with the cold words. There was always something cool about him and the way he would completely destroy my health bar with that katana like sword. Not only that, the way he yells Dante when you beat him in the last level just screams awesome.

Actually, Vergil was the only boss I actively tried to perfect with Royal Guard because I fought him so much. Plus the general ability to just not care and completely disregard those whom he saw as beneath him was ahead of it's anime time.

2. Batman Arkham Series - Joker - The Joker in these games spanned 3 games where he was physically there (this include origins), and though not technically alive was still a huge factor in Arkham Knight. The biggest thing about this version of Joker was that he was so bad that even the Arkham batman decided he should have just killed the guy. First of all, this Joker was way stronger than all the other versions. When he was younger in origins, he could survive a helicopter explosion, he was good enough to take out black mask and impersonate him to put a bounty on Batman, hell there is always a general unease when he's around.

The goons he has are chaotic as well, and Harly becomes a zoned out psychopath from his wild and reckless behavior. This is a Joker that really doesn't give a f*** about anything but his own amusement. He's brutal, he's dangerous as hell and he's everywhere scheming things. All the other versions of the Joker have been extremely tame compared to this one.

1. Pagan Min - Far Cry 4 - I feel like this was Ubisoft's version of Joker. Honestly, he's my favorite villain in all of video games. When I played through Far Cry 4, he was always calling me and having a jovial chat, every time it felt like you'd kill him he would just find a way to escape and then when you finally do corner him he tells you he would have just given control of the country to you if you just wanted it.

Hell, this is proven if you just stayed and enjoyed the Crab Rangoon for 15 minutes instead of running out like the game prompts you. It was one of the few games where I liked the antagonist more than the people whom I was supposed to be allied with. You eventually found out that he actually loved your mother, and your mother left because it was your biological father who made it difficult for her that she fell in love with him.

By extension, he likes you because you're the last person related to your mother. It's actually a cruel twist in some regards, and he's always the video game antagonist I remember the most.

Indicterra

Five little monkeys jumping on the bed 🎶
For me the only good thing is freedom, democracy and sweet Liberty

All else is antagonist and the only good antagonist is a dead antagonist.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I could make this whole list Soulsbournekiroring, but I won't.

1. Gwyn, Lord of Cinder (Dark Souls)—This is one of the most memorable moments in gaming for me and will always hold a special place in my heart. You go through so many trials and tribulations to reach what is essentially a God so that you can link the first flame. However, once you get there, you realize it's not all that it was cracked out to be. Gwyn is a shell of his former self, and linking the flame doesn't fix anything.

It is an ending that is sad but also satisfying.

2. Slave Knight Gael (Dark Souls 3)—This one is for many of the same reasons as Gwyn. It was more bittersweet to me, though, because it concluded one of my favorite series. Even being a shell, he is one of the hardest bosses in the series as well—much harder than Gwyn.

3. The Covenant (Halo and especially Halo Reach) - One of my favorite enemy types from any game franchise. Even though the last one I enjoyed was Halo Reach. After that, I didn't like every game.

4. Makarov (MW Games) - For basically the same reasons you said.

5. The Camera (Any game with bosses) - This is the greatest annoyance to any gamer. If you ever fought against Nameless King, you know what I am talking about.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
5. 9S, Nier Automata. I know you hate Nier but we roll. The choice between 9S and A2 messed with me somewhat.

4. Lord Shimura, Ghost of Tsushima. Emotional fight.

3. Uncharted 2, Zoran Lazarevic. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think Zoran was awesome.

2. Uncharted 4, Rafe. Mechanically I found it very fun. I liked the swordfight, and I hated rafe. Winning a duel on a flaming ship was a cool way for Drake to finish his career

One. Malus, Shadow of the Colossus. Malus was really just the culmination if a phenomenal game. The atmosphere and music are perfect. Somber music, darkness, and rain set the stage, usurping the heroic music and bright light usually in earlier bossfights. You see Wander's corruption during the fight. It's the end of the road. I can't really describe it. You gotta play it. SOTC is one of my favorite games by far and it won't be dethroned anytime soon.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
5. 9S, Nier Automata. I know you hate Nier but we roll. The choice between 9S and A2 messed with me somewhat.

4. Lord Shimura, Ghost of Tsushima. Emotional fight.

3. Uncharted 2, Zoran Lazarevic. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think Zoran was awesome.

2. Uncharted 4, Rafe. Mechanically I found it very fun. I liked the swordfight, and I hated rafe. Winning a duel on a flaming ship was a cool way for Drake to finish his career

One. Malus, Shadow of the Colossus. Malus was really just the culmination if a phenomenal game. The atmosphere and music are perfect. Somber music, darkness, and rain set the stage, usurping the heroic music and bright light usually in earlier bossfights. You see Wander's corruption during the fight. It's the end of the road. I can't really describe it. You gotta play it. SOTC is one of my favorite games by far and it won't be dethroned anytime soon.
Nier's story is what I hate. It was basically meloncholy for meloncholy's sake and there was practically no good ending for the androids.

Shadow of the colossus, Yeah that ending was messed up. When I beat it, the game was memorable but Malus himself to me wasn't memorable.

It seems that you like playstation games that like to toy with your emotions.
Uncharted was kind of forgettable for me.

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
Dude. Handsome Jack, and Jack of Blades are allllllll I need. I'm sure I could think of more if I really wanna. But like, nobody else stands on their platform. . . Okay top five plus their game of origin? Why not. Kinda on the spot though. I'll try.

1) Handsome Jack, Borderlands franchise, mostly Borderlands 2. Basically the biggest personality in all of gaming, tbh.

2) Jack of Blades, Fable. Like the Handsome one, this Jack is very involved in the story, after his proper introduction at least.

3) Doctor Nefarious, Ratchet and Clank franchise, hard to say where he's at his best. Up Your Arsenal is a safe bet. Fairly comedic usually though.

4) Seed, Rogue Galaxy, kinda obvious that he's heavily inspired by Sephiroth, which I realized after watching a big Sephiroth analysis video, but I still like him.

5) Solas, Dragon Age: Inquisition, if he counts there yet? Might need to wait for Dreadwolf to really count him. But, a villain I can romance? Hecks yes baby.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Dude. Handsome Jack, and Jack of Blades are allllllll I need. I'm sure I could think of more if I really wanna. But like, nobody else stands on their platform. . . Okay top five plus their game of origin? Why not. Kinda on the spot though. I'll try.

1) Handsome Jack, Borderlands franchise, mostly Borderlands 2. Basically the biggest personality in all of gaming, tbh.

2) Jack of Blades, Fable. Like the Handsome one, this Jack is very involved in the story, after his proper introduction at least.

3) Doctor Nefarious, Ratchet and Clank franchise, hard to say where he's at his best. Up Your Arsenal is a safe bet. Fairly comedic usually though.

4) Seed, Rogue Galaxy, kinda obvious that he's heavily inspired by Sephiroth, which I realized after watching a big Sephiroth analysis video, but I still like him.

5) Solas, Dragon Age: Inquisition, if he counts there yet? Might need to wait for Dreadwolf to really count him. But, a villain I can romance? Hecks yes baby.
Handsome Jack was interesting.
Doctor Nefarious lol... he was definitely a fun villain.

georgelee5786

Nier's story is what I hate. It was basically meloncholy for meloncholy's sake and there was practically no good ending for the androids.

Shadow of the colossus, Yeah that ending was messed up. When I beat it, the game was memorable but Malus himself to me wasn't memorable.

It seems that you like playstation games that like to toy with your emotions.
Uncharted was kind of forgettable for me.
I grew up with Playstation is why. Didn't do much PC gaming, still don't. The only steam game I've finished that had a boss was space marine, and let's be real here, Nemeroth was kinda disappointing.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I grew up with Playstation is why. Didn't do much PC gaming, still don't. The only steam game I've finished that had a boss was space marine, and let's be real here, Nemeroth was kinda disappointing.
Well, if we're talking strictly playstation games, you should have been able to play the Arkham Batman series right? I preferred God of War honestly, I felt that was their best PS2-PS3 Era game. The new God of War kind of sucks honestly.

Zeus would have been my pick for best Villain.

georgelee5786

Well, if we're talking strictly playstation games, you should have been able to play the Arkham Batman series right? I preferred God of War honestly, I felt that was their best PS2-PS3 Era game. The new God of War kind of sucks honestly.

Zeus would have been my pick for best Villain.
I just never got into GoW or Batman, well superheros in general, very much. I think I considered trying out GoW 2018 but it just never really attracted me.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I just never got into GoW or Batman, well superheros in general, very much. I think I considered trying out GoW 2018 but it just never really attracted me.
GoW 2018 isn't as good as critics want you to think it is. I feel like you'd like the Persona games.

georgelee5786

GoW 2018 isn't as good as critics want you to think it is. I feel like you'd like the Persona games.
I really need to give Persona a go again. I got P5 but 20 hours of play without feeling like I progessed very much got to me. Come next sale on Steam I'll see about P3 or 4

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
WAIT WE FORGOT THE BEST VILLAIN!!!!!

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
GLaDOS from Portal would be an honorable mention. I thought about that one, too.
Now I only want you gone.
I really need to give Persona a go again. I got P5 but 20 hours of play without feeling like I progessed very much got to me. Come next sale on Steam I'll see about P3 or 4
Honestly you gotta stick with persona for it to get good. But if you don't like narrative heavy like that SMT might be more your thing.
WAIT WE FORGOT THE BEST VILLAIN!!!!!
I killed her and she wasn't all that great honestly.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
5 - Vaas

I don't need to explain this. He already explained himself.

4 - The Nihilanth

A powerful intergalactic being that resembles an infant (weirdly). In HL 1, he's dull but a little creepy (The teleport attack sucks tho). But then, Black Mesa came out. And that's when I realized he's much more terrifying and creepy than the ones from HL 1. I was genuinely surprised when he suddenly threw a fricking truck at me and killed me off guard.

3 - Raul Menendez

The antagonist of BO II. He's one admirable villain of all time. I don't know why, but he has great leadership and strangely, I would be convinced to join some riots because of his speech.

2 - The Combine

At first glance, they're just a futuristic interdimensional kingdom. After reading some lore and understanding some theories, they are now my favorite crime empire. And don't forget 3650. We should not forget what he did.

1 - The Sawrunner

thumbup.jpg

Daitengu

Top boss for me was Kefka from Final Fantasy 6. The guy did all the things that could be done in a game from the 90's to make you hate him. Slavery, genocide, an apocalypse, becoming a mad god. Half the game's music track was dedicated to the guy.

Second was 9-Ball from old school Armored Core. Never did beat him without being a plus. FromSoftware was always hardcore.

Third was Arthus from WoW Wrath of the Lich King. Mainly because it was an end to a story that started in Warcraft 3.

Fourth was your brother in the original Double Dragon. I played co-op with my RL bro and after months of getting good enough to rescue the girl, we now had to fight each other to see who gets to ask her out. lol

Fifth is Geese Howard from Fatal Fury, cause that guy was harder than Bison From SF2 and I-No from Guilty Gear X Midnight Carnival.

Yeah, I'm old. lol

SailusGebel

1. Arthas Menethil. I barely played WoW, got to lvl 40 or something and dropped it, so I'm talking about WC3 RoC and TFT. Great transformation from hero to villain.

2. Heihachi Mishima. He is like Hanma Yujiro, but cooler. If not for the total lack of story in the earlier games and all the goofy stuff, I bet he would've been way more popular.

3. Bernard Loredo. A rather small villain from Witcher 2. Maybe I have not played enough games, but this one is a rare villain that makes you hate him. He is not cool, he is vile.

4. Haytham Kenway. Out of everyone I named he is the one who I can trully call an antagonist. He is not evil, he has different morals.

5. Kain. In some games he is a protagonist, in some he is an antagonist. Old, powerful, badass, egoist vampire.

Honorable mentions. Frank Tenpenny, Sephiroth, Wesker, Darth Traya.