Too similar to a Legendary Pokemon?

• Thread starter Deleted member 156316
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 156316

I tried to draw a Temporal/Time Dragon Character for an upcoming future novel, but he looks too similar to this pokemon

Is this an okay design or need improvement?
IMG_20240329_001610-min.png

EDIT: Okay, after listening to feedback from here (and my friends in discord), I actually agree that it does look similar to Dialga. So I had to do a quick redesign whilst also using all your suggestions for reference.

img-min.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
I think it might be a tad close for the ever litigious Pokemon company. They even looked into suing pal world. Unlike pal world, you don't likely have the resources to fight a lawsuit on the matter.

Basically, the issue at hand is that you've said - "I want to make a time dragon inspired by Dialga, but I'm already worried it isn't distinct enough" which could easily be used as part of a lawsuit showing your own concern with the legal similarity.

The pokemon company regularly DMCA's non-profit fan works. So be aware that if your story was almost entirely unrelated but got big enough, the pokemon company's lawyers would look into the matter. I'd personally advise trying to avoid referencing Dialga's design at all.

Edit: On a slightly related note, I think Dialga's design is super cool, but is also the least related to it's general domain over almost any other legendary pokemon.

Like, the only points related to time that I can generally get out of it's design are that the back spikes are arranged such that it would have 12 spikes if they went all the way around (like a clock), and that it looks a lot like quartz crystals (which are used in timekeeping). Compare that to something like a Groudon or a Ho-oh and the design is just infinitely weaker. This coming from someone who's 4th favorite legendary is, in fact, Dialga.

Which basically makes it even harder to use it as a resource, since you'd be hard pressed to say that you used those two objects as a reference for your dragon, and it just happened to look the same.

Last edited:

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
The inspiration is obvious but I think if you changed the blue to something else it would be difficult to tell.

GhoulDrago

Time dragon part is fine tho, the pokémon company isn't the only one using that troupe. Elder scrolls has Akatosh too.

Rhaps

Xenophobia Incarnate
Add in a clock halo and make the dragon longer, like an Eastern dragon, the Long.

NineHeadHeavenDevouringSerpent

I tried to draw a Temporal/Time Dragon Character for an upcoming future novel, but he looks too similar to this pokemon

The colour scheme, the eyebrows that chest piece are way too similar to dialga. I mean if that's what you were going for hats off.

Dialga is pretty iconic, even if hadn't linked the wiki page the first thought seeing this creature was " Oh what a cute Dialga..." cause it is a cutie..unlike his big ver, who's just...ehhh broody

The trios- dialga, palkia and giratina are like my first Introduction to epic beasts who just instilled awe at their presence. It's honestly totally alright to base drawings off them, personally I feel they are rooted enough in society that it is as much the community's property than it is the company's.

But world isn't fair, so i would worry about legal issues here...it is very very close.

GlassRose

Kaleidoscope of Harmonious Contradiction
Without the chest piece, and maybe if you swap out either the blue or the silver for a different color, it would probably be fine?

Tsuru

Rework the "plate armor on chest" and "arrow thingy" behind

Palworld and Pokemon have this kind of designs BECAUSE they are games
What YOU do, is writing a REAL WORLD in A NOVEL, and well, if you go to isekai or if dragons appeared irl, do you think they would have weird things like that? In short they would be BLAND but FUNCTIONAL. Try to read the manhwa about the MC in a swordsman family (where he touch the sword of ancestor at sword ceremony as a baby) where he got this dragon dude follow him. (cant remember name of the series)

Anyway, take inspiration from biology and not Pokemon/Digimon/Palworld/etc
or try to find more manga/hua/hwas about dragons

PS : giving advice and caps if for "importance" and not to talk you down
PS PS (monologue) : i cross finger this finger this post wont start another drama-fight because the other person think i'm rude and aggressive + my SHIT luck always make me suffer when i try to help others and zoomer nowadays toxic as f with MEvsthem tribalism

D

Deleted member 156316

I think it might be a tad close for the ever litigious Pokemon company. They even looked into suing pal world. Unlike pal world, you don't likely have the resources to fight a lawsuit on the matter.

Basically, the issue at hand is that you've said - "I want to make a time dragon inspired by Dialga, but I'm already worried it isn't distinct enough" which could easily be used as part of a lawsuit showing your own concern with the legal similarity.

The pokemon company regularly DMCA's non-profit fan works. So be aware that if your story was almost entirely unrelated but got big enough, the pokemon company's lawyers would look into the matter. I'd personally advise trying to avoid referencing Dialga's design at all.

Edit: On a slightly related note, I think Dialga's design is super cool, but is also the least related to it's general domain over almost any other legendary pokemon.

Like, the only points related to time that I can generally get out of it's design are that the back spikes are arranged such that it would have 12 spikes if they went all the way around (like a clock), and that it looks a lot like quartz crystals (which are used in timekeeping). Compare that to something like a Groudon or a Ho-oh and the design is just infinitely weaker. This coming from someone who's 4th favorite legendary is, in fact, Dialga.

Which basically makes it even harder to use it as a resource, since you'd be hard pressed to say that you used those two objects as a reference for your dragon, and it just happened to look the same.
I also used Kyurem as another basis considering, in lore sense... Oh boy, lemme get into spoiler heavy territory

This Dragon is the father of the dragons of good and evil.

Also on an unrelated note, I also kind of made the dragon of good similar to Reshiram
Add in a clock halo and make the dragon longer, like an Eastern dragon, the Long.
The thing is, I tried to make them look like a dinosaur and not a dragon, plus controlling time is also synonymous to controlling space so wouldn't that allow him to fly via manipulating gravity? (Thus made me not draw him with wings and so)

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
I also used Kyurem as another basis considering, in lore sense... Oh boy, lemme get into spoiler heavy territory

This Dragon is the father of the dragons of good and evil.

Also on an unrelated note, I also kind of made the dragon of good similar to Reshiram

The thing is, I tried to make them look like a dinosaur and not a dragon, plus controlling time is also synonymous to controlling space so wouldn't that allow him to fly via manipulating gravity? (Thus made me not draw him with wings and so)
If there isn't a reason for them to be based on the pokemon designs, then I'd reimagine them completely.

All this reads as if you said, "Hey, my story has a mouse and a dog in it, and they look a lot like Micky and Goofy, but they aren't them."

Maybe you're just inspired. Readers, and the companies that you're infringing on, will assume you've done it for recognition. Best to spend some time making them either more traditional, or more unique, and less inspired by copywritten materials.

D

Deleted member 156316

Rework the "plate armor on chest" and "arrow thingy" behind

Palworld and Pokemon have this kind of designs BECAUSE they are games
What YOU do, is writing a REAL WORLD in A NOVEL, and well, if you go to isekai or if dragons appeared irl, do you think they would have weird things like that? In short they would be BLAND but FUNCTIONAL. Try to read the manhwa about the MC in a swordsman family (where he touch the sword of ancestor at sword ceremony as a baby) where he got this dragon dude follow him. (cant remember name of the series)

Anyway, take inspiration from biology and not Pokemon/Digimon/Palworld/etc
or try to find more manga/hua/hwas about dragons

PS : giving advice and caps if for "importance" and not to talk you down
PS PS (monologue) : i cross finger this finger this post wont start another drama-fight because the other person think i'm rude and aggressive + my SHIT luck always make me suffer when i try to help others and zoomer nowadays toxic as f with MEvsthem tribalis
I'm open minded for suggestions don't worry. 😇

Anyway how do I rework the chest plate and the arrow thing, because both of them are two essential parts of this character. Again, I'm going into spoiler territory but idc

The green gem on the chest is basically his 'physical form' or something

It allows him to control the 'directions' of the timeline, like as in which branch would the timeline spread off into. (If that makes sense)
If there isn't a reason for them to be based on the pokemon designs, then I'd reimagine them completely.

All this reads as if you said, "Hey, my story has a mouse and a dog in it, and they look a lot like Micky and Goofy, but they aren't them."

Maybe you're just inspired. Readers, and the companies that you're infringing on, will assume you've done it for recognition. Best to spend some time making them either more traditional, or more unique, and less inspired by copywritten materials.
This original basis was hard enough as there was little to no basis for reference.
The obscure Zoroastrianism God, Zurvan

I tried to draw a Temporal/Time Lion instead but also that looked too much like Solgaleo. (I swear, Pokemon influenced me alot 😅)
Without the chest piece, and maybe if you swap out either the blue or the silver for a different color, it would probably be fine?
Like green? Because green in my novel (and future novels) is the color of time.

Although I heard in color theory or something, green is the most ugliest color to use on a character (unless you absolutely know what you're doing)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsuru

I'm open minded for suggestions don't worry. 😇

Anyway how do I rework the chest plate and the arrow thing, because both of them are two essential parts of this character. Again, I'm going into spoiler territory but idc

The green gem on the chest is basically his 'physical form' or something

It allows him to control the 'directions' of the timeline, like as in which branch would the timeline spread off into. (If that makes sense)

This original basis was hard enough as there was little to no basis for reference.
The obscure Zoroastrianism God, Zurvan

I tried to draw a Temporal/Time Lion instead but also that looked too much like Solgaleo. (I swear, Pokemon influenced me alot 😅)

Like green? Because green in my novel (and future novels) is the color of time.

Although I heard in color theory or something, green is the most ugliest color to use on a character (unless you absolutely know what you're doing)
(Phew)

Well first
The problem isnt the gem (i easily guessed the glowing gem is necessary)

but the "white-ish" plate on his torso
Its basically pointless to have an armor that surpass the body structure
Its like having a bird with horns = its not aerodynamic = illogical
Do you catch my drift ?

Then the "arrow" uuhhhhh tail?
There isnt a any biological reason for a dragon or any animal to have that. Unless there is a evil god that live on this particular planet, that kill all animals not having a "arrow symbol" on themselves

But your logic about "control time" is indeed logical but .....kindaaaaaa~~ not that good. Try to find another idea for it. Your idea is too obvious of not being good. It would be like Zilean or Ouro Kronii having like a ahoge or eyebrows looking like a clock. It would be too stupid.

Anyway, try to find a balance between "badass" and "realism"
Its also why you no longer see animes having GIGANTIC BADONKERS (even if there are, at least they wont be bigger than Hinata/Tsunade because they arent surreal size)
Anyway, like i said to some other authors.
The best advice of all : Read more, read some more, READ EVEN MORE (manga, novels, stories, animes, movies, etc)