If you don't know where you're going....

QuercusMalus

A bad apple...
....You're going to end up somewhere else.
-Yogi Berra.

Wrote the ending of my story (or at least Book 1), and realized that this Yogi-ism is as true for writing as anything else. Now, I need to create and add in an new character to give my main character a the skills to have snowballs chance at survival.
Because my poor servant, peasant born MC ends the story having to fake being nobility....
This is why letting your characters misbehave and act out is a good thing, they make a much more interesting story that way.
I already know how to fit them in, but this helps. I had the MC, the Villain and a couple other characters, but still felt like I was missing people to create a more vibrant story, but I wanted to avoid adding 'Villager 1', 'Villager 2', 'Soldier 1', 'Merchant 1', ect just to fill in the space.

HypnoticNovels

It's been crazy to me. The characters in my story just kind of write themselves lol. I'll go in with a plan of how I want them to be and they turn out to have a mind of their own

l8rose

Perpetually Positively Pondering
Incredibly true. I wrote a part later in the story and found my MC's lack of knowledge rather boring. Add that most of it was just her surviving, alone and talking to herself with no resolution to her family (just finding them gone with no explanation). Story wasn't all that fun.

So I ended up going back and giving her a buddy. Even that has snowballed into a much more fleshed-out (no pun intended if you've read the story) character and more motivation for the MC to keep going.

Probably why I will never learn to write linearly.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
Thank you for reminding me that support characters are important once again.