What is your opinion of 10k word days?

What is your opinion of 10k word days? (Rate from 1 (I don't like) to 5 (I like), please)

• Total voters

Asthael

I didn't even realize it was physically possible to do 10k in a day. Do you do it in a single sitting or take breaks? Do you have an outline when you do or are you just going with the flow?

MatchaChocolate69

What happens when the mirror breaks?
Do you type fast? It is still pulp speed, so heads up!
The problem for me is not typing speed in writing, but visualizing the scene in my head before I write it. I spend a lot of time on it, thinking and rethinking every word. I am slow.
I also don't have much time to write, when it's good at most four hours, and I'm often interrupted. I never have time to write in peace.

Indicterra

Five little monkeys jumping on the bed 🎶
I don't think I ever wrote 10k a day cause I see no reason to do it. I don't write to get to a certain number.
I am with this guy in this

I stop when I feel ike I have a good chapter ending, when I say chapter ending I don't know how to exactly to explain it, but I know when I see it and I stop there

The number of words doesn't matter, atleast for me.

doravg

106/4001 (bigot towards homophobs)
I didn't even realize it was physically possible to do 10k in a day. Do you do it in a single sitting or take breaks? Do you have an outline when you do or are you just going with the flow?
I was in a coop room in 4thewords, and my buddy writers were cheering me on. I didn't use an outline. And I did take two walking breaks. Also, it helped that I had food already in the fridge, and didn't need to shop or cook.

SailusGebel

You write for the love of the craft
I write to tell a story, to make my readers happy, and make money. If I will find myself in dire need of four chapters one day, I will write 10k words. If I'm not in dire need of chapters, I will simply write as much as I want, but no less than certain amount(one chapter which is roughly 2k).

doravg

The problem for me is not typing speed in writing, but visualizing the scene in my head before I write it. I spend a lot of time on it, thinking and rethinking every word. I am slow.
I also don't have much time to write, when it's good at most four hours, and I'm often interrupted. I never have time to write in peace.
Do what you can. Writing shouldn't be a job.

Unless you earn money from it, in which case you are AWESOME!
Impossible :oops:
Possible, but not worth it.
I write to tell a story, to make my readers happy, and make money. If I will find myself in dire need of four chapters one day, I will write 10k words. If I'm not in dire need of chapters, I will simply write as much as I want, but no less than certain amount(one chapter which is roughly 2k).
I am not a good enough writer to make money out of it, so I just use it as a coping mechanism and to lift my mood. Also, it gives my life a purpose.

SailusGebel

I am not a good enough writer to make money out of it, so I just use it as a coping mechanism and to lift my mood. Also, it gives my life a purpose.
I'm on a very prolonged hiatus, and even before it I didn't earn a single dime.

doravg

I'm on a very prolonged hiatus, and even before it I didn't earn a single dime.
I sold just 30 books in the period of an entire year. Also, got a 1-star review, when I did make one of the books free to read.

My dream to be an author died, but as a writer I am now in the capital of my country, meeting new and nice people, and what is more important, speaking with people I don't know. Before, I never had the bravery for it.

Hans.Trondheim

Mr Negative | Avoid at all cost
I did one yesterday, and I don't know how to feel. I guess I just want to know if it is normal, that I don't want to do another 10k day, ever. Which is strange because when I was writing Breaking the Mold I pulled even 15k word days, day after day, and now I feel like a zombie after a 12k word day.

Guess I am not as young as I used to be. But then again, the 30s are knocking at my door.
One time, and it's good. Feels like a great accomplishment.

Everyday? It's suicide.

SailusGebel

I sold just 30 books in the period of an entire year. Also, got a 1-star review, when I did make one of the books free to read.

My dream to be an author died, but as a writer I am now in the capital of my country, meeting new and nice people, and what is more important, speaking with people I don't know. Before, I never had the bravery for it.
I'm elaborating on my approach. I have a goal of eventually earning money with writing. And I find it important to be a fan, and partially a professional. I formed this, err, opinon, philosophy(???), after listening to an interview of one person in one entertainment industry, and it was reinforced by an interview of another person from a different entertainment industry.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
It's not a bad goal but it's really difficult if you either are new to writing or haven't written in a while. Would not suggest it as it really makes it hard for new writers to feel motivated since they can't keep up with the vets. Now, 100k words in a 31-day month, that's a whole lot more reasonable and less daunting for new or inexperienced writers.

crbrearley

When I came back to writing, I edited every book in my 5 book series. Then, I began writing a third volume I inserted. I think I had a 5K day. I would simply come home and write till I went to sleep. And I hurt myself. Basically, I gave myself some kind of nerve injury and I couldn't type without pain. Because forget nearing thirty, I'm nearing sixty. So I settled down and stuck with 3K which is still pretty outrageous. Finished in a month. The current thing I'm writing will probably not let me write 3k a day, just too much background fantasy crap I need to create on the fly.

I will say after years of writing layoff that I did not feel mentally exhausted until towards the end. My writing slowed down because I freakin' hurt my hand. I tried Microsoft Word dictation! And don't recommend it. But it was better than not writing at all. Luckily, I healed.

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
nah. I write, at most, 2 chapters a day. for me, that's 5-6k, and even that's a rarity.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Not possible for me, except if I start a new story. 1,5k per week is already hard to come with :blob_pat_sad:

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
I did one yesterday, and I don't know how to feel. I guess I just want to know if it is normal, that I don't want to do another 10k day, ever. Which is strange because when I was writing Breaking the Mold I pulled even 15k word days, day after day, and now I feel like a zombie after a 12k word day.

Guess I am not as young as I used to be. But then again, the 30s are knocking at my door.
Bleck! Icky! No way, Jose! Nuh-uh!

onefluffyboi

I used to when I was first writing the work I'm currently posting here. But I ran into writer's block when I was almost done with it and I wasn't sure why. And a few years after the fact I decided to read through it to see what was wrong. And it turned out I didn't like almost ANYTHING I wrote down. (Was very twilight, and just poorly written.) So I am now on the very slow trek of rewriting the entire story!

(Here it is if anyone wants to read it)

FebyA

I feel drained after doing it, but also very satisfied.

It's complicated, but I think it's a 3.

I would like to do more of it, but it's not easy to achieve or even to motivate myself start doing it.