Dream catcher

chippubo12

Has anyone on here ever had one of those wild and creative dreams that slip away as soon as you wake up? I try my best to recapture those dreams, but the moment I touch my pen, everything turns into a white blank. Is there any way for you to actually remember those dreams?
273374320_652994422693648_6274145631618880773_n.jpg

Hans.Trondheim

Hans off, please!
There are dreams I remember, and there are those that pass my mind like a fleeting memory.

In any case, I write down those I can recall, and just let go those I can't. If I dream of that event again, and remember it next time I wake up, good. If not, I won't stress myself.

It's part of my head's normal process.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
I would say LSD, but that would be illegal to use to recover those dreams.

J_Chemist

I have PTSD from a dream as a kid. Now I'm scared of scorpions. I've never seen a scorpion in person.

You can only "relive" the dreams that leave a heavy effect on your mind or ones that happen more than once. Otherwise, no. It'll slip through your fingers and you'll forget all about it. Even if you wake up and go straight back to sleep.

Iloveshovels

I was digging a hole. I do not know why, but I was. The night sky hung over me like a shawl. Something watched me as I did, I did not turn to look at it. For if I did, it would be the end. Well, I was 6ft down and I turned around and -- I was awake.
I can not remember what it looked like. Weird huh?

Vnator

I heard that getting into the habit of writing down your dreams immediately will let you remember them better. So have a dream journal right next to your bed and jot down any dreams whenever you wake up from one. Starting out, just wrote anything you recall, even basic or irrelevant details, as long as it makes you practice remembering.

chippubo12

I have PTSD from a dream as a kid. Now I'm scared of scorpions. I've never seen a scorpion in person.

You can only "relive" the dreams that leave a heavy effect on your mind or ones that happen more than once. Otherwise, no. It'll slip through your fingers and you'll forget all about it. Even if you wake up and go straight back to sleep.
I have PTSD from a dream as a kid too. My mom used to creep on me when I was sleeping, just checking in and staring through the windows. That day, when I was in sleep paralysis, I saw one of her eyes through the door when it opened slightly. After a few seconds, I wanted to stand up, but I couldn't move. The next second, a dark shadow rushed through the door and jumped on my face. Now, as a grown man, I never sleep without locking the door, covering all the windows, and keeping a knife under my pillow just to make sure.
FB_IMG_1651723856622.jpg

I remember most dreams by default.
Sir u can call it gifted lol
I was digging a hole. I do not know why, but I was. The night sky hung over me like a shawl. Something watched me as I did, I did not turn to look at it. For if I did, it would be the end. Well, I was 6ft down and I turned around and -- I was awake.
I can not remember what it looked like. Weird huh?
probly just another shovel creep on yo ass ngl
1649856193f87ca625e9.jpg

I heard that getting into the habit of writing down your dreams immediately will let you remember them better. So have a dream journal right next to your bed and jot down any dreams whenever you wake up from one. Starting out, just wrote anything you recall, even basic or irrelevant details, as long as it makes you practice remembering.
So i do tried to write them down asap when i wake up, but just when i finish the first thing, i completely forget about everything else. I feel like u have to keep everything neutral, like not digging too deep into any detail

So_Indecisive

Primordial sin of Sloth
Has anyone on here ever had one of those wild and creative dreams that slip away as soon as you wake up? I try my best to recapture those dreams, but the moment I touch my pen, everything turns into a white blank. Is there any way for you to actually remember those dreams?
View attachment 28189
Personally I never write down dreams that I have. Immediately I pick up a pen to write I start adding other things to it and questioning the things I experienced in the dream until what I felt was amazing in my dream looks stupid in reality.
So what I do is go to sound recorder on my phone and narrate the dream because I can't write stupid shit confidently but I can say dumb things with confidence.
So i do tried to write them down asap when i wake up, but just when i finish the first thing, i completely forget about everything else. I feel like u have to keep everything neutral, like not digging too deep into any detail
Exactly you need to be a neutral observer in this process trying to use your subjective mind's experience to judge the things happening with your unconscious mind doesn't work well

Praybird

Is there any way for you to actually remember those dreams?

After you've forgotten them, there's no reliable method to getting memories of your dreams back. In fact, it's quite likely that they're gone forever; this is (theoretically) because your dream isn't encoded in your brain like a typical memory.

Dreams are theorized to be a jumble of encoding processes of existing memories, so by default, they aren't really a memory of their own to begin with. It's basically like having a book of memories in your head, and your brain randomly skimming over its text is what makes your dream. There's a chance it'll be funny and coherent - just a chance though!

That being said, the easiest way to make a dream memorable is to not make it a dream. You can do this by recording it in ANY form besides just being a thought in your head. Writing it down is a good way, but if you're finding that this takes too long and your dream's already gone by then, just blurt it out the moment you wake up! One phrase, even a single word, will provide your head with a concrete memory to revolve your thoughts around. This will let your head encode the dream as a new memory, and you'll remember it much better than trying to retain it as a thought.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
View attachment 28189
Yeah I have had them. The best I can do is continually build on them when I wake up, or forget about it.

doravg

110/4001 (bigot towards homophobs)
Sometimes I get weird dreams. They make me feel unsettled. Like that one time when I dreamed about a tsunami when I was little, and the next day they told us on the news that a tsunami happened in Asia. Otherwise, it is something small, and I get a déjà vu a couple of months later, as if I knew it happened.

Personally, I think it is just because I am very susceptible to suggestions, and link information together subconsciously. I think they said on the news before the tsunami something about a storm. I just remember that in the dream I drowned. (Funny how the mind of a child can work, right?)

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
I got so many dreams... Beautiful dreams that made me cry, made me want to kill myself because realizing it's not real, weird dreams where Joker and Harley Quinn drove me through a deserted countryside, dreams where I climb a Resident Evil style game in the walking street...
Here's some of the dreams I remembered and archived

One night... Just one night, I had a nightmare. And I'm the monster in that nightmare. I kidnapped and chopped off a person's limbs. My character in the dream was not nervous or afraid at all. I woke up and found that dream a bit strange, now that I think about it, it really messed up. At the end of the dream I was arrested? Don't remember anymore. Is it a turning point in life, a dream that will either come true or not?
A few days ago, I had a strange dream. I dreamed that I logged into a horror game, but the landscape was so scary that I left immediately. That dream repeated twice, and I left in a scene... However, last night I dreamed that I was playing Plants vs. Zombies in real life (no joke), and I was playing during the lunch break of class in the dormitory, so I put plants in the path and often got crushed and had my hands kicked... When afternoon came, I got into the car of someone whose face I remembered but I forgot why I got into that car. Then, to my shock, I realized that "the afternoon class just started", so I got off the bus. I was also very far from school because this road had appeared in another dream of mine a long time ago. When I got to school, the game continued... But this time, it didn't stop at any scene. I tried to get past scary things, like a wall in the middle of the schoolyard (looks like the mid area in CS:GO's Cache map) and was forced to take another path, a path that led to a place full of spiders. . I don't remember how to get through it, but when I arrived at the place where the classroom was, I had to take on a big task... My school was supposed to have only three floors, but I didn't pay much attention to this detail. I just remember everything that happened in the game, but I only remember two scenes... The first scene is when I was going up the stairs to the floor, I met a bunch of spiders sucking blood and a witch also sucking blood. They gave each other blood and I tried to use my hand to breathe fire (yes) but failed, then I had to use my normal hand (press L on the keyboard) and it worked. After that, I learned about the final mission, the tenth mission: to defeat a rather strong beast... At first, I saw the animal sitting still and saying a few lines of English, which I didn't understand, but I thought "maybe it's talking to me". However, that's not the case, it was telling the boss behind it all, that monster approached again and became a weak and gentle person, flying around its "boss". At that time, that "boss" said a few scary words, like "We have been watching the organization from the inside", then closed his mouth as the monster was flying into his mouth, then , I didn't understand why I couldn't see anything anymore, and then I tried to look back and saw that the monster was in the other man's EYES and disappeared, and he was in tears... The last scene, he was standing on the balcony, I realized it was almost 12 o'clock, I was standing behind him, he turned back to look at me and said "So..." Then I woke up to my mother calling: "It's already 12 o'clock, my child, why are you still sleeping **?" I don't understand why these two sentences are strangely connected... Maybe I have a problem with my brain...

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
I used too. But it really messed me up for a bit remembering some dreams.The type where you’re in love with a person who never actually existed, or had a family member that wasn’t real. It was an unneeded misery even if only a small one. Now I’ll only write one down is it’s excessively funny

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
The type where you’re in love with a person who never actually existed, or had a family member that wasn’t real.
Reminds me of "The Lamp Isn't Real" story, that was terrifying, heart wrenching to read, I don't even wanna know if it's real or not.

chippubo12

Personally I never write down dreams that I have. Immediately I pick up a pen to write I start adding other things to it and questioning the things I experienced in the dream until what I felt was amazing in my dream looks stupid in reality.
So what I do is go to sound recorder on my phone and narrate the dream because I can't write stupid shit confidently but I can say dumb things with confidence.

Exactly you need to be a neutral observer in this process trying to use your subjective mind's experience to judge the things happening with your unconscious mind doesn't work well
"Why don't I remember my dreams?" Here's why and what to do — Calm Blog
This post explains a lot, though. I feel like you have to actually want and try to hold onto the dream the moment you wake up because otherwise they're just gonna slip through your mind real quick.
After you've forgotten them, there's no reliable method to getting memories of your dreams back. In fact, it's quite likely that they're gone forever; this is (theoretically) because your dream isn't encoded in your brain like a typical memory.

Dreams are theorized to be a jumble of encoding processes of existing memories, so by default, they aren't really a memory of their own to begin with. It's basically like having a book of memories in your head, and your brain randomly skimming over its text is what makes your dream. There's a chance it'll be funny and coherent - just a chance though!

That being said, the easiest way to make a dream memorable is to not make it a dream. You can do this by recording it in ANY form besides just being a thought in your head. Writing it down is a good way, but if you're finding that this takes too long and your dream's already gone by then, just blurt it out the moment you wake up! One phrase, even a single word, will provide your head with a concrete memory to revolve your thoughts around. This will let your head encode the dream as a new memory, and you'll remember it much better than trying to retain it as a thought.
Is there any way to trick the brain into thinking that this is a memory, not just a dream?
Sometimes I get weird dreams. They make me feel unsettled. Like that one time when I dreamed about a tsunami when I was little, and the next day they told us on the news that a tsunami happened in Asia. Otherwise, it is something small, and I get a déjà vu a couple of months later, as if I knew it happened.

Personally, I think it is just because I am very susceptible to suggestions, and link information together subconsciously. I think they said on the news before the tsunami something about a storm. I just remember that in the dream I drowned. (Funny how the mind of a child can work, right?)
Sometimes I find myself unable to recall whether I have dreamt about a specific occurrence. However, there are moments when everything inexplicably feels familiar, as though I have encountered it before.
I got so many dreams... Beautiful dreams that made me cry, made me want to kill myself because realizing it's not real, weird dreams where Joker and Harley Quinn drove me through a deserted countryside, dreams where I climb a Resident Evil style game in the walking street...
Here's some of the dreams I remembered and archived

One night... Just one night, I had a nightmare. And I'm the monster in that nightmare. I kidnapped and chopped off a person's limbs. My character in the dream was not nervous or afraid at all. I woke up and found that dream a bit strange, now that I think about it, it really messed up. At the end of the dream I was arrested? Don't remember anymore. Is it a turning point in life, a dream that will either come true or not?
A few days ago, I had a strange dream. I dreamed that I logged into a horror game, but the landscape was so scary that I left immediately. That dream repeated twice, and I left in a scene... However, last night I dreamed that I was playing Plants vs. Zombies in real life (no joke), and I was playing during the lunch break of class in the dormitory, so I put plants in the path and often got crushed and had my hands kicked... When afternoon came, I got into the car of someone whose face I remembered but I forgot why I got into that car. Then, to my shock, I realized that "the afternoon class just started", so I got off the bus. I was also very far from school because this road had appeared in another dream of mine a long time ago. When I got to school, the game continued... But this time, it didn't stop at any scene. I tried to get past scary things, like a wall in the middle of the schoolyard (looks like the mid area in CS:GO's Cache map) and was forced to take another path, a path that led to a place full of spiders. . I don't remember how to get through it, but when I arrived at the place where the classroom was, I had to take on a big task... My school was supposed to have only three floors, but I didn't pay much attention to this detail. I just remember everything that happened in the game, but I only remember two scenes... The first scene is when I was going up the stairs to the floor, I met a bunch of spiders sucking blood and a witch also sucking blood. They gave each other blood and I tried to use my hand to breathe fire (yes) but failed, then I had to use my normal hand (press L on the keyboard) and it worked. After that, I learned about the final mission, the tenth mission: to defeat a rather strong beast... At first, I saw the animal sitting still and saying a few lines of English, which I didn't understand, but I thought "maybe it's talking to me". However, that's not the case, it was telling the boss behind it all, that monster approached again and became a weak and gentle person, flying around its "boss". At that time, that "boss" said a few scary words, like "We have been watching the organization from the inside", then closed his mouth as the monster was flying into his mouth, then , I didn't understand why I couldn't see anything anymore, and then I tried to look back and saw that the monster was in the other man's EYES and disappeared, and he was in tears... The last scene, he was standing on the balcony, I realized it was almost 12 o'clock, I was standing behind him, he turned back to look at me and said "So..." Then I woke up to my mother calling: "It's already 12 o'clock, my child, why are you still sleeping **?" I don't understand why these two sentences are strangely connected... Maybe I have a problem with my brain...
Feel like it have sth to do with your anxiety or stress tho
242604384_394644135369785_6029531698094544351_n.jpg

I used too. But it really messed me up for a bit remembering some dreams.The type where you’re in love with a person who never actually existed, or had a family member that wasn’t real. It was an unneeded misery even if only a small one. Now I’ll only write one down is it’s excessively funny

"When you met the most gorgeous, beautiful women in your dream and then you wake up and the intricate details of her face quickly faded from your memory." Yeah i alway hit this pose cuz i feel real bad lol
81315e4b98c15ffdbbdf46dd037821f4.jpg

Last edited:

WeissBlatt

I am become hiatus
As soon as I wake up from an interesting dream (usually in the middle of the night), I text my friend to tell him about it, and sometimes he does the same. In most cases, we wake up hours later only the find out that, due to all the typos, we can't decypher what we wrote earlier.
Typing with your eyes half-closed is easier said than done.